Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - Beta Is Coming

Options
  • 17-06-2007 3:58am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The beta will be released on File Planet "in the near future". File Planet have already messed up and allowed users to download the beta for a few minutes. They just cut it off an hour or so ago.

http://community.enemyterritory.com/index.php?q=node/55

http://www.fileplanet.com/?f=178186

It will be an open beta, but reserved for File Planet subscribers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I assume/hope by "reserved for File Planet subscribers" that means non-subscribers will get it a bit later?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

i dont think so...i think you gotta have a filerplant acount..the ones who payed for subscription off fileplanet are first in line and then the people who have free fileplant accounts are after them..i doubt youll be able to download it unless ur registered on there..and even then if you didnt pay for the subscription you mightnt even get it..

also i think there allowed download the clients now but they wont be able to play them until there activated...but not sure

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hmm, maybe a subscription to Fileplanet is in order...

Go-go Fileplant account!

/edit: scratch that bit, I'll just have to hope I'm not last in the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They are saying that non subscribers will also get a chance to get it, but the keys are limited...and you can be sure that they will be gone in a matter of hours. You still need a FP account though.
    Dooom wrote:
    Go-go Fileplant account!

/edit: scratch that bit, I'll just have to hope I'm not last in the line.
    It is not out yet, subscribers will have no problem getting it dont worry.:)

• Advertisement

Yeah I know, I'm just psyching myself up for it. Plus I'm not a subscriber, just a plain old free account holder. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Dooom wrote:
    Yeah I know, I'm just psyching myself up for it. Plus I'm not a subscriber, just a plain old free account holder. :(
    I got a subscription for the STALKER beta. It was like €40 - and to be honest it was quite well spent. Great for the fast patch downloads and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I just registered there, do I have to apply for the beta or will I just get an email?

Timans wrote:
    I just registered there, do I have to apply for the beta or will I just get an email?
    They will send out an email notification - but you can sign up from the site when they start taking on applications. That has not begun yet though...

Dont worry - FP will be sure to plaster their front page with the information soon...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I would assume that this beta isn't limited like the clan based beta. I would also assume that the beta will be available for download form other sources than File Planet eventually.

Correct?

• Advertisement

I would assume that this beta isn't limited like the clan based beta. I would also assume that the beta will be available for download form other sources than File Planet eventually.

Correct?
    Maybe...maybe not. Other sites will mirror it - but the chances are that only FP will be giving out the Beta codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Dooom wrote:
    I assume/hope by "reserved for File Planet subscribers" that means non-subscribers will get it a bit later?

i'm going to guess no based on the battlefield2142 beta "fiasco". same deal, fileplanet subs only, and then the beta never extended to non-subs afterwards, despite being told it would.

even if the code is leaked, you'd need a key to get in...

Blast them if they don't. I used to be a payed subscriber but I got bored after a while and went elsewhere.

Just looked at the sub options - $40 for a year doesn't sound that bad, plus with my bb arriving at some point it could prove useful...I think I may have to do it.
    Plus then I can laugh at the non-subscribers that didn't get into the beta if it does turn out like bf2142.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Apparently the server of it is meant to be a complete resource hog, i.e. a 20 man server would use the same resource as a 64 man BF server. Even heard that a single slot will cost 5 times more than a BF slot if they do not improve things dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Anyone got any info on how much a Fileplanet account is ?
    May get one this evenind depending on price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

About 5-6 euro for 1 month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I have been given a key for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Can any other fileplanet subcribers check their accounts and see if they've been given a key.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

AntiVirus wrote:
    I have been given a key for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Can any other fileplanet subcribers check their accounts and see if they've been given a key.

Thanks
    The closed beta worked as in you got a beta key which was actually just a key to register for an invitation, then you had to wait to see if you got invited and then recieved an addiotional key. So don't count this as definatly getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Just got a email from splash damage:
    #

Hello,

The beta will be available to subscribers and non-subscribers alike. Stay tuned for more news about the ETQW Public Beta.

Thanks!

Steve 'badman' Hessel
    Community Relations Manager
    Splash Damage Ltd
    http://www.splashdamage.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

why are they releasing a beta, do they expect people to report bugs ?

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote:
    Most of the beta clients these days have a auto reporter built in if the game crashes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

MooseJam wrote:
    They also get data about how we play and what we use automatically so they can adjust the game balance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Oh dear I have been reading a lot of concerned posts on other forums i.e regarding the gamplay being to fast :( I posted an example below of a well written review.

Review thaken from enemyterritory.com

The topic is about the best way I can use to describe this game. I briefly played W:ET. BF2, Tribes, Planetside, y'know, lots of these team-based games of various speeds. I'm not really a big fan of fast-paced games, because fast-paced to me simply means 'dumbed-down' and 'easy development costs', but I won't say the game sucks just because of its pacing. I'll say I don't like it BECAUSE of it, but let's talk the actual game here.

I am, however, going to rip on its execution of speed.

Playing for hours yesterday, I can't help but feel that the entire game is incredibly chaotic with little sense about what is actually going on. I'll start this thread by saying that, even though everyone says "THIS GAME ISN'T BF2", you MUST keep in mind that easily over half the game's concepts feel like they're lifted DIRECTLY from the game. You may not like the comparisons, but just because you don't like it doesn't make it untrue.

The first thing I noticed was that my interface was ridiculously over-cluttered. I still have almost no idea what is going on, and where. Gamespeed moves SO fast that little features like Fireteams are simply worthless. At any given time I have between twenty and thirty little icons on my screen, and usually knowing where to go is just following the horde of other players. All in all, while I could get used to the hundreds of little icons cluttering my view, most of them I don't even really want to see.

I grabbed an empty server and familiarized myself with the controls and weapons. In my first game, I thought I'd play it safe and grabbed an anti-tank class. In BF2, the game pace is such that as an anti-tank, people will be reporting where there are vehicles, and you can generally move around to some degree and find targets. In this game, I believe I shot a single tank before the endless chatter of assault rifle fire owned me. It's hard to tell where to go, where you're needed, and if you're even needed at all. After a few minutes of playing this class, and realizing how potent other anti-vehicle weaponry is, I see very little reason to risk using this class, as unless the target vehicle is heavily damaged or lightly armored to begin with, the odds of you dying before making a kill are stacked VASTLY against you.

Deployables are nifty. I liked them when I was fooling around myself. I thought I'd break out one and give it a shot, a howitzer. After a few shots I realized that the game moves so fast that these indirect fire weapons are nigh-worthless. Unless we're going back to W:ET days where the only purpose artillery serves is to spawncamp, what good is this stuff? The shots fire so slowly that for whatever reason you wanted to shoot it in the first place is long since past. If they're overrunning your base, by the time the first shell hits, either the base is going to be captured, or they're going to be dead and your teammates are swarming around the area again.

Finally, sniper rifles. Why the hell, in this day and age, do we have sniper rifles? What use do they serve? Let me explain how sniper rifles work in gaming. The people who camp safely far away and get free kills without much work and skill like them. The people who get instagibbed by them feel cheated. They are detrimental to gameplay, and they make it play like ass. Whose bright idea was it to attract the 8 year old Halo crowd by making Weapons of Camp Destruction? The latest-greatest tactic is to use sniper rifles in close-range engagements as well, making many parts in the sewers "Walk into room, instantly die". The only people who would miss a sniper rifle are the ones who are playing for kills anyway, and do we really care if those kids are playing in the first place?

At its very core, the game feels like W:ET. However, once you start piling on layers - vehicles, loads and loads of 'alternative' weaponry, the game begins to simply resemble BF2, played at 2x speed, with a few objectives scattered around. BF2 wasn't really a heavily team-based game, and in ET:QW, it feels the same way. The only reason you have objectives seems to be to 'force' teamwork, which isn't REAL TEAMWORK. The weaponry, types of classes, utilities, and the like that you have access to almost make the game feel like it was originally supposed to be slower-paced and more cerebral instead of simple twitch-action run-and-gun. Maybe they decided that it was too hard to create a good team-based game? Maybe they decided it was cheaper to make 'yet-another-fast-paced-fragathon-like-every-other-shooter-released-since-2001'.

Hopefully some of the game's technical glitches get ironed out, such as the odd 'stuttering' that was, surprisingly, present in BF games as well. Most vehicles handle like crap, and the Strogg hover tank drives exactly how you wouldn't think a hover tank would drive like. I still have no idea why the hell my attempts to drive it end up with me running into walls like a drunk, but I am.

In the end, I'll say it's a decent game. I don't like it for many reasons, the primary one being that while I was expecting a fast-paced game, since they're the easiest way to attract the mouth-breathing 'mainstream' crowd, the game feels like it's TOO fast for what it was trying to do. I'll continue playing to see if it grows on me, but so far, I'm not too terribly impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

interesting POV but thats just one guy going on about a beta, still prefer to give it a go and draw my own conclusions;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I dont get thier complaint, Wolf ET is still one of the most fast paced hectic full on games ive played outside of quake 3. Fireteams are useless in wolf ET too..in fact in my 3 years with wolf, i still dont even know what they do :D
    and artillery only good for spawncamping in wolf et? Did this guy even PLAY et?? Arty is all over the map in that game, you just point binocs and fire, youre guaranteed kills

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Auvers wrote:
    Oh dear I have been reading a lot of concerned posts on other forums i.e regarding the gamplay being to fast :( I posted an example below of a well written review.

Review thaken from enemyterritory.com

The topic is about the best way I can use to describe this game. I briefly played W:ET. BF2, Tribes, Planetside, y'know, lots of these team-based games of various speeds. I'm not really a big fan of fast-paced games, because fast-paced to me simply means 'dumbed-down' and 'easy development costs', but I won't say the game sucks just because of its pacing. I'll say I don't like it BECAUSE of it, but let's talk the actual game here...

This review, certainly the latter half, smacks of someone who isn't very adapt at playing such games, got killed a lot, and then got pissed off. I hope...

Its just installing for me now, I will report back later...

Bah, silly subscriber only thing. Boo I say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

$15 for 3 months, so i said what the hell :p

Bought the subscriber thing there 2 mins ago

Downloadin as we speak, :rolleyes:

Also...coincidentally i had taken tomorrow and monday and tuesday off...so ive a 5 day weekend to test it out :cool:

Hope its good :)

Advertisement