Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - Beta Is Coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Well played it there for about 30 mins - hour

AND

Well..lets just say im glad i paid for $15 fileplanet subscription because it will possibly save me wasting money on this game :eek:

Where do i start ???

- Anyone expecting gameplay similar to BF2....you will be SORELY dissapointed
    - As the above post says...There is WAY to much clutter on the screen at time and its quite confusing :confused:
    Im used to BF2 and Mmorpgs, so i can handle many things going on at once..but this is just Messy :(
    So combat from a distance first...well..i couldnt drive the small Strogg tank at all...just keep driving into walls :confused: ...and the Human jeeps n stuff handle terribly
    :mad:
    There wasnt a jet / chopper in sight...which i was looking forward to having a go of :(
    Actually...in the control options menu..there is no specific vehicle control section to speak of..just global controls which would apply to all vehicles :(

So..i tried sniping...was going ok for oh....about 20 secs..till i noticed that the enemy have these poxy jetpacks that they just fly round the map on, and of course...Beta out..first map...some idiot bunnyhopping his ass off :mad: :mad: :mad: already.

So said..screw that..,not gonna try snipe these bungy chord mofos rocket boostin themselves everywhere...so took up an assault rifle and went to try do one of the objectives...:cool: ...construct some thingy to lower their shields

Got up close..and then it was mayhem...just like Being in a Quake or UT2004 Free for all. Ppl hopping round everywhere, sprayin their ass off, as the weapons have no accuracy whatsoever :eek: all these futuristic thing suck tbh.
    If you complained about 2142...just dont even try the game

Also...at a distance...its quite hard to distinguish enemy from friend, until you notice the BIG RED TRIANGLE thats over their head...like....paint a bullseye on me pls while your at it:confused:

Thes are my inital impressions, ill give it another go tomorrow and then make my mind up, but atm im not convinced at all :eek:
    Plus you only get 1 map to play on and its already getting boring with the bunnyhoppers and spawncampers

Did i mention the Graphics ??
    I was expecting to be blown away....:)
    but...just like the rest of the game..dissapointed
    My options by default were set to V.HIGH and some on ULTRA so i was expecting good things.
    Its 'meh' at best. I feel BF2 is better tbh

Anyways, full verdict tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

They toned down the graphics a lot for the beta...apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Bollox, this game relys on teamplay and knowing the advantages of the classes. Otherwise, you'll be lost because you suck. It isn't that hard to learn.

And bunny hopping his ass off? Boost strafe jumping. These guys don't mess around. This is ET behaviour. Seriously. This is a demented fun game, and you shouldn't bother if you're gonna complain that it's too fast. Play CS and BF because you're useless here. If you can't be accurate it's because you are used to aiming at your granny, all weaps are hitscan.

Learn spawn hosts, turrets, atil, proper use of classes like medics and constructors. And don't be a 1mph walking pussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Its ET : QW.... I don't know why people expect something similar to BF2. To me I expected a cross between Enemy Territory and Quake, and thats pretty much what it is.

Personally I'm still not convienced by this game, but I've been playing it awhile now and have to admit the more I play and the more I learn the better I get at it.

Didnt see any teamplay goin on whatsoever tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

SeantheMan wrote:
    So its exactly like BF2 when it was released (and is still at times)

I personally cant wait for this. I'm dying for a fast paced online FPS. I never got to play Planetside when it was popular, so i am really looking forward to this (and i realise that they are two very different games)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Hey Sean any chance of your beta key :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

SeantheMan wrote:
    It's new and noone knows what the **** they're doing. You'll see GDF victories all the time when you don't have team play. A well versed strogg team will own sewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Is there any way of getting the Beta (or the chance of) with out paying a subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Giblet wrote:
    Bollox, this game relys on teamplay and knowing the advantages of the classes. Otherwise, you'll be lost because you suck. It isn't that hard to learn.

And bunny hopping his ass off? Boost strafe jumping. These guys don't mess around. This is ET behaviour. Seriously. This is a demented fun game, and you shouldn't bother if you're gonna complain that it's too fast. Play CS and BF because you're useless here. If you can't be accurate it's because you are used to aiming at your granny, all weaps are hitscan.

Learn spawn hosts, turrets, atil, proper use of classes like medics and constructors. And don't be a 1mph walking pussy.

The guy was trying to give his impression of the game . It is a game that I have been looking forward to aswell and I can only pray that your attitude isn't representative of whats going to be playing it , although I fear it is .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

^^^^^ Agreed hey sean when you have played it for 5 or 6 hours can you comeo back and let us know what you think of it then? And anyone else who has the beta can you plz let us know what you think of it.

I've never really gotten into the game and I've been playing it for a good while, but I played about 7 maps last night and I have to say it was throughly enjoyable.

For this I'll to people to not dismiss it straight away. Its a game that takes awhile to get used to and grows on you alot.

Played it a bit more, still goin with my original impressions though :eek:

Also noticed...that in the BETA anyways, you seem to have infinite sprint, so combine that with people hopping (and im not talking bout jetpacks) everywhere its pretty mental

Also ..up close firefights seem to be more luck than anything :p ...2 ppl just running round sprayin everywhere:rolleyes:

I always hated the fecker...but...i could do with that GOD Voice of BF2 introducing you how to do everything :p as the help tips are few and far between

The scoring system is also pretty mad, its not based on kills deaths at all.
    Its EXP, and you get like 10exp for doin a mission (defending somewhere etc), i came top as most aggressive or something one round...but unsure as to how i got it as to me i just seemed to be dyin everywhere :p:p

Will be givin it another bash later on

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

looks like fileplanet is open again for keys, but there's an error when you submit your details:

Server Error

ACK! There's been some sort of error with the contest or poll that you tried to submit.

An admin has been notified and someone will be looking into this shortly.

*EDIT*: looks like it's fixed now - just got a key

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Played it for a bit...

The most fun is finding a server thats not full with less than 150 ping :/

It ran ok on my system, but the server was really laggy...

Wont be able to judge it properly for a few weeks until the initial flood of people get sick of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

I've never really gotten into the game and I've been playing it for a good while, but I played about 7 maps last night and I have to say it was throughly enjoyable.

For this I'll to people to not dismiss it straight away. Its a game that takes awhile to get used to and grows on you alot.

7 MAPS ??
    is there only 1 on my game ?

awhir wrote:
    7 MAPS ??
    is there only 1 on my game ?

Think awhir.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

IF you are a bf player, this game will mean that you have to adapt a LOT. Its a really fun game tho, very fast and exciting. Have played a couple of PCW's and got totally dominated.

It's going to be really exciting tactics wise and the amount of kit available across the spectrum of classes will provide some scope for interesting strats. This game will rely more so on teamwork than the old 'medic train' bf2 type stuff.

IF you are a bf player, this game will mean that you have to adapt a LOT. Its a really fun game tho, very fast and exciting. Have played a couple of PCW's and got totally dominated.

It's going to be really exciting tactics wise and the amount of kit available across the spectrum of classes will provide some scope for interesting strats. This game will rely more so on teamwork than the old 'medic train' bf2 type stuff.
    All I see what I log into the public beta is "omg, this isn't anything like bf2 :(".

Muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

...Have played a couple of PCW's and got totally dominated.

No you havent :eek:

This game is above all about team work. Its great. There is no scoreboard that shows KDR's, everything can attack and damage everything, you cant just go in blazing.

Firstly its not BF2, its anything but. Secondly 24 player servers are way too big. This game plays well with 12 players or less, even 2 v 2 is fun. You will need to give the game a chance, and play it with a clan or group of mates to get anything out of it tbh. Its the next big game, like it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

All I see what I log into the public beta is "omg, this isn't anything like bf2 :(".

Muppets.

it's because it's touted as a class-based game, and most peoples experience in that will be bf2. i'm sure we'll get the same when tf2 arrives

feck hope we start playing it but my clan may just complain about it since its not like bf2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

awhir wrote:
    feck hope we start playing it but my clan may just complain about it since its not like bf2 :(
    ...Join a decent clan then.

:D

Why were people expecting BF? fools!

Its pretty good and I cant wait to play it properly on a decent server

hmm anyone wana play with me my xfire is awhir add me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The last beta keys are available now. Hurry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Got my beta key last night and am downloading it now :D
    The comparisions to BF2 are pretty annoying so far i have to say. I think half the people complaining its nothing like BF2 must never have played enemy territory. ET isnt about getting frags or capping flags, its about working together to acheive objectives. You gain exp for accomplishing objectives, defending areas, and the more xp you get, the more powerful you will become, more ammo you get. IMO its a better system as its not just 'I GOT TEH MOST KILLZ! IM TEH 1337!'

Cant wait to play this...anyone else have to lie about thier specs to download a key?? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

For some strange reason, i thought i had entered my application for the Beta....but i dont know why. I'll try do it later, and will hopefully get in. Anyone know how long the beta will last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

sadly, i would guess all the beta keys are gone by now dude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I have a 5 yr old system, running a 6600 card and the game runs very very smoothly, no lag at all really to speak of. In fact it runs much smoother than bf2 (which at times feels like im playing in wet sand)

...I have slow loading times but one of the best features I have seen yet is if your conn drops you don't drop from the game at all...it stalls until your connection restabilizes and you can rejoin the fight. The times i've timed out of bf2 servers and had to reconnect.

Advertisement