Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - Beta Is Coming

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Damn missed the keys again :( anyone got one to spare please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I signed up last night and there seemed to be loads of them ?
    It's not a bad game ..takes a bit to get into it but i'm enjoying it.

Not too impressed with the tanks/walkers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I signed up last night and there seemed to be loads of them ?
    It's not a bad game ..takes a bit to get into it but i'm enjoying it.

Not too impressed with the tanks/walkers though.
    i found it easy to get into, this is coming from a counter-strike head that hates BF2.

i've only played it for about 20 minutes this morning and although the beta is a bit buggy and there's some network issues it's great.

don't like the way the server list says a lot of rooms are not full then when you join them it whacks you in the face with "sorry, server full".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Playing on a 6800GS, 2gb ram, 3.0 P4. Runs as smooth as butter on mine, better than BF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I find that the widescreen options don't work ? I'm playing it on a 26inch widescreen LCD :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

look at the diff ratios mine runs fine on 1680x1200

Yeah run it as 5:4 ratio to get tft options for example. The only problem at the moment is that 24 player servers are too big. The sweet point is 12 players, and fun right down to 4 players.

Currently servers are full of new players learning the game, playing with the wrong kit, and just plain being dicks in some cases. Roll on release till we can get our own servers.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

awhir wrote:
    look at the diff ratios mine runs fine on 1680x1200

No it doesnt, 1680x1050* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I had the chance twice but didn't because I didn't lie about my specs.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

i lied about my specs but it runs fine for me on a 7800GS, 1gb ram and an amd 64 3400. 1280 x 1024, all settings on high.

So far, im really enjoying it. I can honestly say if youre a fan of wolfenstein ET, youll love QW. Theyre extremely similar. Im assuming most of the complaining about the game on here was from BF2 players expecting more BF2 but with aliens. Well tough ****, cause its nothing like that.
    youll know what to expect if youve palyed ET before...the missions are self explanitory and all waypointed so youre never confused as to where to go. The action is very fast, something i was kidna hoping they might change from wolfenstein but havent, players still move with lightning speed, but its no biggie.
    The objectives are good as you have a choice of missions.
    Graphics are nice enough on high detail, not exactly eye wateringly beautiful but nice, certainly BF2 standard at least.
    All i nall, for a beta, its looking very promising. But as i say, caveat emptor, if youve never palyed ET and just want more games like BF2, stay away, this isnt for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Kill the Human food tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

how do you like those drones jim? :D

I don't think I've ever been more paranoid about little black specks in my life.

Drones for a droner, what more can I say !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Drones for a droner, what more can I say !

WAW tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I played it last night for the first time - I wasn't overly impressed. Now, I'll put in a qualifier and say that it is early days for me and the developers (well, maybe not so the developers), but alas I thought it to be a BF2/ ET hybrid. Considering I detest BF2, that is a negative comment.

Over the years I've played countless hours of ET - still do - and consequently I've become a good player. In many ways I was expecting something along the lines of a ET with a new futuristic skin. However, ET:QW seems to have taken all the bad aspects from BF2 - namely inclusion of vehicles and overly complex inventories - and mashed them together with a game trying to emulate the team play that ET is so well known for. I really don't think the two, vehicles and team play, are compatible. Why? Well, if BF2 taught us anything it is that people don't like sharing tanks with their team mates.

There was a couple of things that I found a little disappointing. For example, the one kill sniper rifle. Added to this, some of the classes seemed a little redundant. The medic class was one - I believe in the 3 hours I played I was revived a mere 3/4 times and only received a handful of med packs.

If this game is about small numbers playing - maybe 5v5 - I cant see much point in the abilities of some of the classes. I also found that there was far too many inventory options going on, especially with the likes of the Engi and Field ops. In a game that is so fast it is difficult to scroll thorough your options as you are getting blasted. In fairness, it is easy to bind keys to your inventory, but 8 options is a great deal binding.

I wasn't too sure about the hit boxes, but maybe that is just a question of getting used to them, so I can't hold that against the game.

I did enjoy playing the demo, but I think this game needs a massive amount of work before it is anywhere near the excellence of it's predecessor - if it can be call such. It's enjoyable, but as of yet it is nowhere near what I was hoping - a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

^ You've got high standards (like I used to), but I've learned to lower mine. I agree with you mostly, but I've found the beta to be good fun. Medics might be under appretiated at the moment. Towards the end of the sewer map, everybody picks assault and attack in waves. With more medics, a more constant attack might be possible.

The balancing does need to be fixed though. With the Strogg it feels like I'm firing lasers of love as opposed to weapons. The GDF weapons feel like pea-shooters, yet whenever I pick the GMTP (whatever the third gun on the assault list is) I become invincible.

I also think vehicles are an inevitable evolution of the FPS genre. The Blackhawk in BF2 is the perfect example of good teamwork using vehicles. The fighter jets in BF2 (and HaloPC) are the perfect example of how NOT to use vehicles.

I think the pace of the game is a little frenetic. I simply can't take all the info in at once. I got kicked last night for too many complaints against me - and only noticed one (although I was a little liberal with my artillary aiming - whilst trying to figure it out!) When I was kicked, I was in a tank firing at the upper body of a walker. Some splash damage must have hit somebody. I heard "Do I look like a Strogg?" and got kicked. I was consistantly scoring in the top3 of my team, so I wasn't that bad.

I can't figure out the GDF assault mines with the little handheld computer. I plant them and activate them but nothing happens. I was able to blow one up on the sewer hatch but that's it.

Also, who with and how do you build the radar?

All that said. I played the FEAR beta and loved it. But after the tweaking for the realease version, I thought it lost its charm.

cregser wrote:
    ^ You've got high standards (like I used to), but I've learned to lower mine. I agree with you mostly, but I've found the beta to be good fun. Medics might be under appretiated at the moment. Towards the end of the sewer map, everybody picks assault and attack in waves. With more medics, a more constant attack might be possible.

The balancing does need to be fixed though. With the Strogg it feels like I'm firing lasers of love as opposed to weapons. The GDF weapons feel like pea-shooters, yet whenever I pick the GMTP (whatever the third gun on the assault list is) I become invincible.

I also think vehicles are an inevitable evolution of the FPS genre. The Blackhawk in BF2 is the perfect example of good teamwork using vehicles. The fighter jets in BF2 (and HaloPC) are the perfect example of how NOT to use vehicles.

I think the pace of the game is a little frenetic. I simply can't take all the info in at once. I got kicked last night for too many complaints against me - and only noticed one (although I was a little liberal with my artillary aiming - whilst trying to figure it out!) When I was kicked, I was in a tank firing at the upper body of a walker. Some splash damage must have hit somebody. I heard "Do I look like a Strogg?" and got kicked. I was consistantly scoring in the top3 of my team, so I wasn't that bad.

I can't figure out the GDF assault mines with the little handheld computer. I plant them and activate them but nothing happens. I was able to blow one up on the sewer hatch but that's it.

Also, who with and how do you build the radar?

All that said. I played the FEAR beta and loved it. But after the tweaking for the realease version, I thought it lost its charm.

to build a radar go spec ops and pic the bonis .

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

awhir wrote:
    to build a radar go spec ops and pic the bonis .
    Cheers awhir. The next thing to figure out is the remote camera thingy.

Has anybody else gotten bored of the beta?

Same map over and over kinda sucks, but overall not bored.

For the Mackron! etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

At first I wasn't too impressed when playing the *Other* builds, something seemed off with the shooting and I've finally figured it out and I refuse to tell anyone !! Now that I've gotten to grips with that I'm really enjoying the games, medic is a great class I find, vert resiliant when used properly. throwing down strogg packs (which gives you more ammo along with health) and reviving i find good, everyone I kill I turn into a spawn host for convienence. Every class has it's advantages, I just find Medic as the over all class for me. I like staying alive ;)

keep yer secrets Pyro, pfft. The black magic he talks about is to do with the hit prediction system that the developers are working on. It will allow peeps with differing pings to have a more equal game, however from what I can see its not there yet, but just around the corner.

guys 1 question in the torementor (strog plane thing) how do you use the missile dekoys ??

1 is the defualt key for decoys in all vechicles that have them.

1 is the defualt key for decoys in all vechicles that have them.

sound man.does all tig have the beta ?

I think most of us have the open beta aye. Its a pita though, if a few of us join an empty server it fills up pretty quickly when people see numbers. 6v6 - 10v10 is fine for play, anything else is just horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

cregser wrote:
    Cheers awhir. The next thing to figure out is the remote camera thingy.

Has anybody else gotten bored of the beta?

If your bored with the beta, you can give me your key :D

Advertisement