Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protected mode in vistas ie7

• 17-06-2007 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

on configuring a new vista PC (E520 dell ) with dual core and 1gb RAM, it seemed extreemly sluggish right out of the box, when browsing the internet.

After a bit more investigation I notice that CPU levels were at 50-60% on idle with ie7 running alone :eek:

Everything returned to norrmal when I disabled "protected mode" in ie7. Has anyone else come accross this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I suspect that is a problem with some add on you have with Internet explorer.

Try it with out the add ons.

There should be a shortcut for Internet Explorer (Without Add ons) in the the start menu- All Programs

Or do a search for it.

Then see what the cpu level is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

By any chance did you install Java ?

Make sure you uninstall any old versions and use the latest v6, after that try protected mode again if you want it.

Also download the updates through Windows update as I have heard some people with a similar problem say a fix is on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yep, the protected mode in IE really slows a lot down. Basically what it does is everytime you visit a site, it phones home to microsoft to check if the site you're visiting is ok or not. As you can imagine there's a huge overhead involved in this

Thats not what the protected mode does.

Thats what the anti-phishing does. You can turn off the anti-phishing while still having protected mode.

Protected Mode allocates protected memory to the processes running in Internet Explorer so that they can not interfere with other processes running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

stevenmu protected mode just puts IE in a sandbox so if anything where bad to get it cant damage the system it's good thing to have & enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Oops, you're both right, sorry. That anti-phishing mode just annoyed me so much I have it on the brain :)

Agree with you on the Anti-Phishing.

The one with firefox is much quicker and i use open dns as well which i find very good.

Heard that Microsoft did an update to speed up the system recently so may be better now.

Advertisement