Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to track 10GB limit with 3DataModem

Options
  • 17-06-2007 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,
    I use a mac with my 3DataModem and we have been having a very good time with it, granted we live on Capel St so the signal should be good.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to track your downloads? I cannot see anywhere on their site to log in to check usage. I would run some network software but I use the modem on the go and with our home server as a backup for when NTL is down etc.

Aaron.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I was wondering if anyone knows how to track your downloads? I cannot see anywhere on their site to log in to check usage.

I use Linux myself and installed ip accounting for tracking my usage.

3's windows software will show you your usage (current and total), even though the total count doesn't work in the first days after you get the subscription.

There is to my knowledge no way of getting the data online on their website.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Simply go to the below web page to see your usage ...
    http://mobile.3ireland.ie/3prepayweb/usage

The data is usually about 24 hours old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭aaronquigley

Fungus wrote:

Hey, thanks for that. Very handy to keep track of this.

Fungus wrote:

Knowledge updated !!

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Interruption of service
    Sorry, this product is temporarily unavailable while essential maintenance takes place. Please try again soon.

This only temporary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Fungus wrote:

Sir, I am in your debt.

It's working now for me too.

So this just picks up your IP/SIM/Account automatically and gives you a figure from 24 hours ago?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

watching videos on youtube...is that classed as a download as such??

YES. Any data you upload/download goes toward your 10GB monthly transfer limit.

ciaranfo wrote:
    YES. Any data you upload/download goes toward your 10GB monthly transfer limit.

:eek: but i always taught that the download limit referred to the music, pictures and videos that you download to yr hard-drive??

but when yr watching a video on youtube yr not actually downloading to yr pc:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

philstar wrote:
    :eek: but i always taught that the download limit referred to the music, pictures and videos that you download to yr hard-drive??

but when yr watching a video on youtube yr not actually downloading to yr pc:confused:

Yes you are, actually. Might not be stored permanently, but it is downloaded.

Even VoIP/Skype conversations count towards the download/upload limit.

Basically anything you do on the PC to send or receive data from the internet adds to the transfer limit (as ciaranfo already said).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Thank you very much for this. It's really handy.
    Jesus already at 700MB and only two days into the month ......:eek:

gerryo wrote:
    Yes you are, actually. Might not be stored permanently, but it is downloaded.
    Basically anything you do on the PC to send or receive data from the internet adds to the transfer limit

well you learn something new everyday.....that sure is a revelation to me.

BTW everytime i click on that link for 3 usage it comes blank (cannot find server):(

Are you using the 3 connection when checking? I have 2 ISPs, and when I do it with the other one the link gives me an error. It works when I do it when connected via 3 modem though.

ok got it...just tried it with a different browser

500 mb in just 3 days :eek: gotta ration my web usage

how much do they charge when you go over??

philstar wrote:
    how much do they charge when you go over??

5c/MB. That means every GB, you download after the 10 GB costs you 51.20 EUR !!!

/Martin

but there's no need for the link...you can see the total data volume and hours online in the bottom half of the dialog box that appears when you click on the 3 icon.

philstar wrote:
    but there's no need for the link...you can see the total data volume and hours online in the bottom half of the dialog box that appears when you click on the 3 icon.

Only, if you are using Windows. That software does not work on Mac or Linux.

/Martin

BTW...does anyone know if 10gb limit is a combination of the total download & upload??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 leffatus

Marlow wrote:
    Only, if you are using Windows. That software does not work on Mac or Linux.

/Martin

For the Mac you can use the Activity monitor, which shows data transfer in the network tab at the bottom. I think this is since last reboot.

There should be plenty of tools out there for all platforms to monitor network usage.

However I want to know what 3 thinks my usage is, rather than what my computer's network connection has processed. For example, do all the packets that failed to reach me, and needed to be transmitted get counted. I would say probably.

• Advertisement

philstar wrote:
    BTW...does anyone know if 10gb limit is a combination of the total download & upload??:confused:

Usually it's the combination of the two unless otherwise specified. If they only account you for one way, you can feel yourself lucky :)
    leffatus wrote:
    For the Mac you can use the Activity monitor, which shows data transfer in the network tab at the bottom. I think this is since last reboot.

That exists for nearly every operating system in some form or shape and doesn't really help you track your traffic, as it's only account for the "uptime" of the interface or the machine.
    leffatus wrote:
    However I want to know what 3 thinks my usage is, rather than what my computer's network connection has processed.

Exactly, because that is what they will bill you for and has been answered earlier in this topic.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 24 leffatus

Marlow wrote:

That exists for nearly every operating system in some form or shape and doesn't really help you track your traffic, as it's only account for the "uptime" of the interface or the machine.

Activity Monitor will tell you the amount of traffic transferred up and down over the network interface. This is cumulative. This is not uptime, but a track of data transfer. However, at least in 10.3.9, I have noticed some strange behaviour, and wouldn't entirely trust it. However there are loads of net tracking tools out there.

Just checked the link in this thread and it claims I have used about 280MB since the 8th. However I got a bill for one days usage and the rental in advance, and it claims I used 133MB, which I doubt I was able to use in the first day, as I just did some quick usage tests. Interested to see what my next bill will be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

philstar wrote:

Don't trust that application. In my experience it loses your totals occasionally. I have bitmeter2 running and it shows the same figures for a few days, but sometimes they get dangerously out of synch.

This may be particularly true if you are using ICS to share your connection with other machines and the other machines are causing a connection to be set up outside of 3's application, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 2F4c3

Marlow wrote: »
    I use Linux myself and installed ip accounting for tracking my usage.

3's windows software will show you your usage (current and total), even though the total count doesn't work in the first days after you get the subscription.

There is to my knowledge no way of getting the data online on their website.

/Martin

high
    would you tell me how you settup a 3mobile data card to use with Linux.i am new to OS

2F4c3 wrote: »
    high
    would you tell me how you settup a 3mobile data card to use with Linux.i am new to OS

It is very simple really. The data card is a USB device with PC-card controller really, so when you plug it in, it'll add a USB serial device to your computer (/dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1, etc.)

All you need to do now, is to configure the it with your favourite dial-up tool (pppconfig, wvdial, etc.)

the phoneno. to dial: *99#
    username: for "3" the username is "user"
    for Vodafone the username is "vodafone"
    password: for "3" the password is "pass"
    for Vodafone the username is "vodafone"

That's about it. For a more thorough guide on dial-up networking under Linux, check the Linux PPP Howto: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/ and there is also this 3g howto for Orange in the UK: http://www.timberwolf.ukfsn.org/debian-orange-3g.html

/Martin

Advertisement