Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmmm Should or Shouldnt I

Options
  • 17-06-2007 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

Right I was thinking that I have a two 7950gx2 and I am going to sell one (while I can still get €200+ for it) and then put the other card into a media center.

I was thinking of buying this card for my main rig https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-095-LT

is this a good idea? am I going to notice any performance increase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea you should see a a nice increase.. but depends really on what res your playing games at.. Also what games are you playing?

If the media center is not going to be used for games I would sell both 7950's and get a cheaper card and maybe some ram, extra hard drive etc etc

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

note: These cards require PCI-E x16 slots, they will not function in a x8 slot so for SLi you need dual x16 mainboard. Finally 500W minimum for PSU and 600W+ is recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

i think sli7950gx2 would beat a gts by a nice bit especially at higher res, but the gts has some more features, dx10 mainly, but thats not really an issue due to lack of games out now and you need vista (you have it?). Single cards wise as far as i know they're pretty close( 7950 was lil better at gts release, gts might be ahead now). But if you can get 200 for your card and have the 100+ to spend on the upgrade i dont think you'd be dissappointed i just dont think you'll be amazed either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

beolight wrote:
    GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

note: These cards require PCI-E x16 slots, they will not function in a x8 slot so for SLi you need dual x16 mainboard. Finally 500W minimum for PSU and 600W+ is recommended.

Not to worry Beo I have a an Antec 700w, m/board is an abit aw9d-max

But if you can get 200 for your card and have the 100+ to spend on the upgrade i dont think you'd be dissappointed i just dont think you'll be amazed either.

Yeah Gandalf thats what I thought, I think getting €200+ for one of my 7950s is a good price and then keeping one for my media center so I can play Colin McRae Dirt, Pro Evo, etc

I can always add another 8800 in a few months just in time for Crysis ;)

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Auvers wrote:
    keeping one for my media center so I can play Colin McRae Dirt

rofl... have you seen the benchs of Dirt. My 8800GTX in my sig rig can barely handle it at 1080p. You'll want a seriously good HTPC to play Dirt at anything above 1024x768

What case are you going to be putting that 7950GX2 in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

L31mr0d wrote:
    rofl... have you seen the benchs of Dirt. My 8800GTX in my sig rig can barely handle it at 1080p

Guess I wont be playing Dirt so :)
    L31mr0d wrote:
    What case are you going to be putting that 7950GX2 in?

Antec Fusion HTPC which I got for free :D

Advertisement