Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Safety Situation

Options
  • 17-06-2007 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

Alright, now that swords and blanch skateparks have officially opened, they have put in place some safety rules.

All riders must wear helmets,knee,elbow and wrist pads.

AND gloves.........(?)

These rules have to be changed or else nobody is goin to skate them, how come every other park in the country only requires helmets?

Can anybody give me the details of a person who is in the position to change these rules?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Is there people there to make you wear that stuf? Also do you have to pay for it?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

yeah, the attendant wont let you in without it and they dont provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

haha thats gay! Its really slack though em can you not like say your 18 ill just wear a helmet! Aren't all the other parks like no helmets or anything?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Proper order too,there is probably a clause in the insurance requiring the use of full saftey gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

No its not proper order. You are not able to claim for any accident at any of these public skateparks. Blanchardstown and Swords are the only parks in dublin where these rules are enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

Well I think this safety issue is basically fuelled by completely ingnorant voices and alarmist data.

I mean lets look at some other sports....

American football, padded? yes, safer than rugby? no

Boxing, big gloves? yes, safer than Mixed Martial Arts? demonstrably NO!

So I'm not sure "saftey equipment" is actually safer. I'm not sure, and neither is anyone else because accurate research and data has not been done or published.

I'm going to informally research this and see if any of the facts, even anicdotely, point towards padding making skating safer.

Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

FOGOFUNK wrote:

All riders must wear helmets,knee,elbow and wrist pads.

AND gloves.........(?)

Thats a bit much now isnt it?? Fair enough the helmets and my personal preference knee pads because i hate the burns and the impact on the concrete!! But come on thats just overboard. Do they even supply helmets at the parks or anything at all? No i havent been to Swords or Blanchardstown but in Greystones all you have to do is wear a helmet. Even then the helmets are supplied to you once you hand in a phone or something of value.

Advertisement