Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E46 Coolant Leak

Options
  • 17-06-2007 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased an E46 BMW 3 Series Coupe (2004 model) and yesterday the coolant light came on. So I topped it up wth coolant and 15 mins later it came on again. When the engine had cooled down I checked and it looks like there is a leak in the coolant tank. I have heard that it can cost up to 500 euro fix at a bmw garage. Anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I had similar symptoms (overheating) a month ago, except I dont have a "Coolant low" light, just an engine temperature dial in my E36.

Some quick notes, some real obvious, others not so much:

- Check if engine is overheating
    - Check viscous fan coupling.
    - Check for whiting in the oil (on dip stick & filler cap), which would hint at a head gasket issue. If this is suspicous, check if oil level on dip stick rising.
    - See if coolant level drops when engine not running. i.e. Top up at night and check the following morning, perhaps with paper under the car in a dry garage.
    - Run engine from cold with expansion tank cap off, water should be gushing into it, to suggest that the water pump impeller is still operational. This should also remove any air locks that may exist in the system. (This seemed to fix my issue with dropping coolant levels in my car). Again put some newspaper under car to hint at potential leak sources.
    - Check all coolant hoses in engine bay, check floor in car foot well not soggy.
    -Check for perished rubber seal on expansion tank cap. Hot coolant under pressure may be seeping out here and may evapourate quickly, so that it looks dry after a few minutes.

Id recommend AC Car sales near Christchurch or Robert Furley in Kells to check it out if its nothing obvious. They have reasonable rates and are good. I wouldnt recommend the main dealer with their extortionate labour rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This may seem obvious but you say you only bought the car recently - is it still under warranty? If non, i'd second the recommendation for AC car sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

If the coolant low light is coming on after only 15mins, it must be leaking fairly fast... Can you see where the coolant is coming from? is there alot of water down on the plastic pan under the engine? to drain that amount of coolant in 15 mins is a pretty big leek, should be easy to spot.

The E46 uses all "push fit" connectors for all of the water connections... check that these are all ok, and pushed home correctly... I'd bet it's one of these connections that is leaking... If it is there's an o-ring inside of each connection that can be changed, although most places change the entire pipe ( which comes complete with new o-rings from BMW )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I had a similiar problem and it was a bearing on the water pump. The fluid would gush out after the engine heated and it expanded/pressurised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

One important question to ask:
    Is there signs of coolant leaking out? i.e. is a there a sign of an external leak in the engine bay, a puddle on the ground? If not it could be a serious problem.

I wouldn't advise driving the car around with the car losing coolant. BMWs use a pressuriesd cooling system. If an air-lock develops it could cause an overheating problem & bye bye engine. Check all the pipe connections, also check for cracks on the "necks" of the radiator (pieces where coolant hose connects to).
    Also have a look at the botom of the radiator, there should be a little blue coloured plug down there, the seal can sometimes go on this. It's very cheap to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

afaik, there's a plastic elbow somewhere near bottom of block, on r.h.s, made of plastic that's also prone to go awol..........went in sis-in-law's too.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Friend of mine had an E46 318 with leaking coolant, it was the water pump. Replaced it himself quite easily IIRC, worth a check, he could see it weeping out of the pump

Advertisement