Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving test without a car

Options
  • 17-06-2007 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

assume that I don't have car but i signed up for a driving test. Will the driving test center provide one for me for the test ??

I know that I can rent from a driving instructor (prices are insane) or put myself as a named driver on somebody's else car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

No, you organise your own car, the test center will not do that. If you can't use someone else's car (and be insured on it), then you'll have to go with an instructor car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Magic_ wrote:
    =)]Will the driving test center provide one for me for the test ??

No.
    Magic_ wrote:
    =)]I know that I can rent from a driving instructor (prices are insane)

How much is your instructor trying to charge you? Last time I heard, €60 was the going rate, which is fairly reasonable imo. That would cover petrol+insurance for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Stark wrote:
    No.
    How much is your instructor trying to charge you? Last time I heard, €60 was the going rate, which is fairly reasonable imo. That would cover petrol+insurance for the car.

rates at the moment are between €60 and €100. I was charged €70 :mad: on my second test I drove my sisters car and will do the same next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In fairness to the instructors/schools, if they are providing the vehicle for your test, they may have to cancel or defer a couple of booked lessons to make the vehicle available.

It would appear that, for category B, the cost of hiring the car for the test is greater than the price of a lesson. At least in the larger categories, where the candidate is very unlikely to have their own vehicle, the price is usually equivalent to that charged for a lesson.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

'Magic wrote:
    =)']I know that I can rent from a driving instructor (prices are insane)
    Well, it's a lot cheaper than buying a car, getting it taxed, insured, NCD tested etc!
    Some schools do a deal for about €100 where they'll give you a pre test lesson on the morning and then let you use it for the actual test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

I have my own car but it keeps breaking down and I know it won't last till next test. I don't care about taking lessons cause last time I've done less mistakes on the test then I've done after taking lessons.
    and... driving instructors makes me even more angry then waiting time for a test :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭iconnect

'Magic wrote:
    =)']I have my own car but it keeps breaking down and I know it won't last till next test. I don't care about taking lessons cause last time I've done less mistakes on the test then I've done after taking lessons.
    and... driving instructors makes me even more angry then waiting time for a test :D

You say you made less mistakes on the test than on the lessons I wonder why.Could it be the lessons worked and you improved!!

Just to clarify about car hire for test from instructors
    1. We do lessons on the hour and if your test is on the half hour we cant take a lesson before or after you. In other words you take an hour we lose two and get paid for one. Thats why we charge a car hire fee for the test whats unfair about that.?

2. If you crash our car we are not just upset we are out of business till it is repaired and we dont ask you to pay for the damage like other people would.

<snip>

Post edited!

Advertisement