Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Final Day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Yellow card Reyes, he's playing like a man possessed.

Gooners must be wondering why he couldn't do that for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yellow card Reyes, he's playing like a man possessed.

Gooners must be wondering why he couldn't do that for them.

Crazy tackle...could well have been red

Real should stop playing the long ball, Mallorca are coming with it easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats that so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2-1 Madrid :eek:

It was coming but Maxi should ahve scored if he actually wa sa footballler.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Come on MADRID!!! This is some night of footie in La Liga yet again

2-1!

It's there

and there it is

Hope all you Barca backers on betfair traded out at half time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

GET IN!!!!!!!!

just hold on now

cue 10 mins of real players getting "injured" and needing treatment. After they get the 3rd I already predicted of course.

EdIT, there it is.

WHAT WAS THE GUY ON THE POST DOING!....He wasnt even looking....fix!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

what a goal reyes!!!!

KdjaCL wrote:
    It was coming but Maxi should ahve scored if he actually wa sa footballler.
    West Ham were rumoured to have offered £7.5 million for him.

Bet they're glad they dodged that bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

HAVEEEEEEEEEE IT COME ON REYES!!!!

Title is back in the Capital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Capello.

Hate his style but you can't argue with his results. Top manager in Europe, if not the world.

Stekelly wrote:
    cue 10 mins of real players getting "injured" and needing treatment.

lol nope

3-1 great goal by Reyes.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

What a finish!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ha, you got that one pretty wrong Raskolnikov. Should add a bit of value to Reyes there for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Great goal from Reyes. Congrats Madrid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Well done madrid

quality third, was thinking they should waste time when the ball went wide.

congrats Real!

Stekelly wrote:
    Meh, he usual will happen. Madrid go 1 down, they'll probably conced again, then score 3 on the lasrt 20 mins.

I wasnt too far off. These real games are fairly predictable. This seems to happen every time i watch them

Goal for Gimnastic against Barca

GOAL - ZAMBROTTA (BARCELONA). Barcelona take a 5-1 lead on the night at Gimnastic

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

beckham all smiles der wit rvn even though he is leavin them 4 more money in de US, funny auld game tis is.

well done madrid , counts monies :)

kdjac

Amazing scenes.

bazzman wrote:
    beckham all smiles der wit rvn even though he is leavin them 4 more money in de US, funny auld game tis is.

Why, should he hate everyone as soon as he signs for someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

bazzman wrote:

They forced him to sign it because they made it known they didn't want him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

bazzman wrote:

ye cos he won his first league in four years and now has a la liga, prem and cl winners medal, i can imagine he's pissed....

so no, its not quite a funny old game after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The constant scenes of Cruise and "posh" were ridiculous. Aslo as a Gooner seeing Reyes play to his capabilities is hard to take. Should get us a few more quid for him anyway.

Never thought I'd be rooting for Madrid, but happy for Beckham and Ruud in the end.

bazzman wrote:

well if we look when he was thinking about moving away from madrid he was out of favour! he played his way back into the team and had a good second half of the season, if someone is willing to pay him mega bucks good for him

ul to barca though, what a season it was in spain, the last 2 months have been amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

Stekelly wrote:
    Why, should he hate everyone as soon as he signs for someone else?

no, not sayin that. still think he sud of stayed with the better team, league and cups, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Would have been totally different if Barca had Messi and Eto'o for the majority of the season. Madrid have been awesome the last 2 months though.

bazzman wrote:
    no, not sayin that. still think he sud of stayed with the better team, league and cups, thats all.

If the better team wanted him to stay they shouldnt have waited till his contract was just up to try get him to stay. The better teams manager should also not have dropped him and sai dhe'd never play for the club again.
    Real werent interested in keepeing him till th elast few weeks, at what stage should he look after his own future instead of waiting around to see if he is offered a contract after the current one runs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yes Delighted for Madrid, thought they were dead and buried up to the equalizer and with Van the man going off, and gives me extra pleasure to see Barca go so close he he :)

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Those celebrations at the Bernabeu and later on in Madrid are insane.
    What a disaster it would have been if they hadn't won :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ha, I love it, Beckham and Ruud both started off with injuries, and came off with injuries. Luckily, they won the league within them, and I'm very happy for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Watching the celebrations earlier made me just realise what a humongous club Real is.
    They are a behemoth .

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

Delighted to see Real win the league. Ever since it came back from the x-mas break la liga has had the most exciting season I have ever seen. Watching them celebrations at the end I was absolutely thrilled to see Carlos and Beckham get the send offs they got and deserved. If you have watched la liga throughout the whole season I dont think it is possible to not have felt glad for Real tonoight. Every weekend the odds were against them especially as they kept conceeding early on in games, the comeback against Zaragoza and the one after that Pandiani hat-trick will stay in my mind for a long time.

As for Barca I think they need to get rid off Rijkaard, I don't think his man management is good ennought for such a big club, for example i can't see a Mourinho like manager letting such big ego's corrupt a team. Big clubs need tactically gifted managers like Mourinho and Benitez but Rijkaard seems to just have 1 idea of playing and thats attack with 4-3-3, if it fails he just goes all out attack and needs players to rescue him. He showed in Europe against Liverpool his naive side when he seemed to think Barcelona had to win over 1 leg and cost his side theie place in the next round.

Overall Real deserved to be champions and Barca should have done so much more this year. Can't wait to see the transfers! Henry in Spain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think people are being pretty harsh on Rijkaard, hell they were in with a shout on the last day of the season in the league, and last season they won the league and the CL under him. I like his tactics, he reminds me to an extent of Ferguson or Wenger, has an idea of how a team should play football, and is willing to stick to it despite it's possible failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Fairly exciting nigth last night. Really wanted to see Real bottle it, but knew that they were never going to lose that game. Fair play to them. The way they have played for the last 6 weeks has been amazing, with their never say die attitude.

What pissed me off more than anything last night was Sven as a pundit. Just why? Plus, the way the Sky journos were making it out that it only mattered to Beckham, and Beckham this that and the other thing.

Side note, who was relegated? Was it the bottom 3 going into the games remained?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Its good for football to see the Spanish league run-in so tight, and the plaudits for Real Madrid are well deserved, as they are for Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Reyes, and the rest of the Real Madrid team. The 'galactico' model can just about work at times, but hats off to the players that showed a lot of grit and determination and effort, ie: non-galactico traits, to win this league this season. I only saw a few sunday evening games this season, but all entertaining.

Of course, if it wasnt for the 'head-to-head' ruling, Real wouldnt have won the title, a rule which may be suited to other leagues (Uefa should have the same rule for all leagues), and its arguable too whether it was more a case of Barcelona slipping up rather than Real winning it. Its good to see a change nevertheless.

> Side note, who was relegated?

16 Real Betis 38 4 9 6 17 22 4 7 8 19 27 -13 40
    17 Athletic Bilbao 38 6 4 9 19 28 4 6 9 25 34 -18 40
    18 Celta Vigo 38 4 6 9 21 31 6 3 10 19 28 -19 39
    19 Real Sociedad 38 6 4 9 20 24 2 7 10 12 23 -15 35
    20 Gimnastic 38 4 4 11 23 36 3 3 13 11 33 -35 28

> Watching the celebrations earlier made me just realise what a humongous club Real is. They are a behemoth .

Well, they are the 'biggest' club in the world (as measured by monetary revenues per annum, according to Deloitte) and have been in and around that level for decades. Success-wise, they have won 9x CL-equivalents and the Spanish league 30 times. Also it is a club owned and ran by its many club members. Little wonder they have a global fan base.

One thing I would change though, and that is the length of their season. Its past mid-June now, and Uefa should bring in a standard calendar for all.

redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

One thing I would change though, and that is the length of their season. Its past mid-June now, and Uefa should bring in a standard calendar for all.

What about scandinavian leagues where teams cant play during winter due to weather and the league where we use it to try and get through an extra round in europe before we get knocked out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

PHB wrote:
    I think people are being pretty harsh on Rijkaard, hell they were in with a shout on the last day of the season in the league, and last season they won the league and the CL under him. I like his tactics, he reminds me to an extent of Ferguson or Wenger, has an idea of how a team should play football, and is willing to stick to it despite it's possible failure.

There is sticking to your principles, and there is also doing your job, and he didn't do a good one. I actually would have preferred Barcelona to win because with Ronaldinho, Deco, Eto, and Messi they play much the better football.

But its been obvious for years though that Valdes is poor. Its been obvious for years that Puyol & Marquez aren't a strong enough combination in the middle of the defense. Not doing something about it last summer when they'd just won the champions league was crazy (A 35 year old Thuram doesn't count). Add in the Gudjohnsson signing as well. He's a good player without doubt, but he's a number two striker, and not a number one striker, so there was no way he could be the replacement for Larsson, and be a good enough backup for Eto.

If they sort out the back five, get a decent backup for Eto, and sort out whatever ego problems there were between Rijkaard, Ronaldinho, and Eto and keep them all they'll win it again next year. If they don't they won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

bazzman wrote:

He most likely went to learn English :confused:

Stky10 wrote:
    There is sticking to your principles, and there is also doing your job, and he didn't do a good one. I actually would have preferred Barcelona to win because with Ronaldinho, Deco, Eto, and Messi they play much the better football.

But its been obvious for years .

Would that be the La liga winning season or the La Liga and CL winning season im confused.
    Rijkaard seems to just have 1 idea of playing and thats attack with 4-3-3, if it fails he just goes all out attack and needs players to rescue him.

Sack him now, thats just not on. In his 3 seasons there he has won nothing this season :eek:

kdjac

redspider wrote:
    I wouldn't change it. The Premiership has been over for a month and we still have football, it's great. Between the Spanish season ending and tournaments like the U21 Championship and Copa America and then pre-season tournaments like the Amsterdam trophy etc, you'd forget there was ever an end to the football. It's great :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement