Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coheed & Cambria

• 17-06-2007 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Coheed & Cambria are really good... Haven't seen anything about them on here, so here goes.
    Post!:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah, I think that they're quite good too, despite the incessent words of emo coming from my friends mouth. Well, Pfft to him, cos I still listen. Only have one album: The one with IV on the cover(title way too long to remember), but still really like their stuff. Hopefully something in Ireland so I can see them sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I have that IV album aswel. Load of pants.

I can not stand that guys voice and the some of the songs seem to go nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

im a huge fan of theres, the only problem is his voice can get annoying at times. but the musicianship is top notch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

only seen some videos of theirs. they seem to play of that dude's hair way too much.

oh yeah the hair.. ive never seen them use his hair to any gain really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

probably one of the most mis categorized bands around.
    they are an amazing band. great musicianship and songwriting.
    even my girlfriend likes them! they are not EMO at all. i would call them more prog rock.
    people should give IV another chance. after a few listens i was astounded by its longevity.

his vocals really make them immediatly sound emo though. IV is good but the second album (the one with the moon on it) is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭*tOpLaSs

Yes they certainly are progressive rock.
    IV= Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness
    Long title.
    They are NOT emo, thanks for saying that, because it bugs me that when there is a band that people can not place in a genre, it automatically becomes "emo". :mad:
    And yes, Claudio Sanchez's hair is CRAAAAZY lol
    I guess his voice could get annoyed, but I'm loving it! They have had three albums btw.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

O GOD !!!!!!!! That guy has one of the most annoying voices ever!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I like them a good bit.At first i didn't like his voice,but it grew on me and it suits the songs.And i got two of their albums for 6.99 each.....can't go wrong there hahahaha!Welcome home is one of their best songs IMO.

• Advertisement

My friend does kinda have a point about the emo bit though. Some lyrics bout slitting his wrists and having a blade and all that crap. I just ignore and listen, cos as said, the musicianship is great. Think the mini-opera at the end of IV is great. Didnt think they had three albums out, must go about getting them sometime. big spree coming up as I'm coming into money, so much to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭violent*sky

theyre a bad band thats about to undergo a major change and boost - chris pennie has left dillenger escape plan and joined coheed on drums!

a bizarre choice...i will never understand it but coheed can only get better because of this!

or chris could have just ruined his career...whatever!

Mushy wrote:
    My friend does kinda have a point about the emo bit though. Some lyrics bout slitting his wrists and having a blade and all that crap. I just ignore and listen, cos as said, the musicianship is great. Think the mini-opera at the end of IV is great. Didnt think they had three albums out, must go about getting them sometime. big spree coming up as I'm coming into money, so much to buy.
    well as far as i know all theyre albums are based on a comic thats to do with war, which isn't a verry jolly topic

mc nuggets wrote:
    well as far as i know all theyre albums are based on a comic thats to do with war, which isn't a verry jolly topic

Ah well, that just adds a whole new slant on things.

Yeah, its a strange but interesting concept they have.
    All the album are based on a comic book story the singer has written and released or will be releasing.
    Coheed and cambria is actually the name of two characters in the story

From wikipedia:
    Their albums are concept albums, revealing the plot of an overarching storyline. For more information on this storyline, go to The Amory Wars. The band plans to release a total of five albums describing the saga The Amory Wars. To date, three studio albums have been released: The Second Stage Turbine Blade (2002), In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 (2003), and Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness (2005). These albums make up the second, third, and half of the fourth part of the four-part saga of Coheed and Cambria, respectively. The albums are being released out of sequence; the second part was released first, and the first part will be released last.

Here is a link to The Amory Wars

So this is all way to intelligent to be Emo:D :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Or feigned intelligent because the emo kids in denial will lap it up....

In general, prog rock is more than just having concept albums. This band's songs, for the most part, go NOWHERE. They start bland and end even more blandly. And his voice... oh god. I couldn't, having listened to a LOT of progresive rock/RIO/Avant-Garde bands in my time, call this band progressive. It's not very "intelligent" music. Call me pretentious if it pleases you, but that's my 2 cents.

Or feigned intelligent because the emo kids in denial will lap it up....

In general, prog rock is more than just having concept albums. This band's songs, for the most part, go NOWHERE. They start bland and end even more blandly. And his voice... oh god. I couldn't, having listened to a LOT of progresive rock/RIO/Avant-Garde bands in my time, call this band progressive. It's not very "intelligent" music. Call me pretentious if it pleases you, but that's my 2 cents.

Well the too intelligent to be Emo was a joke. TBH, i couldn't care if people think they are Emo cause if i like the music i'll listen to it. I wouldn't be a genre man myself so im not gonna sit wondering what one they fit into.

Good enough then. And to be honest myself, I know the band isn't emo. Emo is a much older thing that's more like Glassjaw and stuff, not close to the bubblegum punk goth kiddie rock (that's a joke by the way, but strangley accurate) that's called emo these days, veterans of the emo scene will definitely tell you that the "emo" scene as it's known today is a pale shadow of what it once was.

Good enough then. And to be honest myself, I know the band isn't emo. Emo is a much older thing that's more like Glassjaw and stuff, not close to the bubblegum punk goth kiddie rock (that's a joke by the way, but strangley accurate) that's called emo these days, veterans of the emo scene will definitely tell you that the "emo" scene as it's known today is a pale shadow of what it once was.

EDIT: sorry, just remembered the funniest term for the "emo" kdis I was talking about, which was called "Fashioncore." I nearly fell of my chair when I read the wikipedia entry about. I believe the term was invented by hardcore/emo fans who wished to differentiate themselves from the modern "emo" scene.

Mushy wrote:
    Ah well, that just adds a whole new slant on things.
    Im not sure weather that was sarcasm or not.

• Advertisement

mc nuggets wrote:
    Im not sure weather that was sarcasm or not.

No, it wasnt. I was told the albums are based on comics, which means that I can understand some more insight into the band now. Sorry for the confusion.

tis fine dont worry about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Mis-categorised? - Like it matters...

"Everyone calls them EMO, they are not EMO!!!" - waaaayyu too inconsequential to get worked up about.

Personally, the album titles piss me off enough to keep me from actually listening to them. As did this thread :)

I did like David Thorpe's review
    Track 12: The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End

Okay, here's part one of a four-part movement inside a record that's part one of a two-part series that represents part four of a four-part series. Here goes part one of my four-part review:

I: This record is a festering pile of horrible masturbatory pap…

Track 13: The Willing Well II: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness

II: …and if you are a fan of Coheed & Cambria, I can say with the utmost confidence that you are a bona-fide tin-eared nerd with absolutely no concept of…

Track 14: The Willing Well III: Apollo II Telling The Truth

III: …what makes music good or bad, evidenced by the fact that you are simultaneously listening to the three lamest, dorkiest, and most artistically bankrupt genres of music ever invented, all at the same time, coagulated and…

Track 15: The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut

IV: …mashed together into a sickening, putrid sludge of pretentiousness and idiocy by a group of people who are either too stupid to know the abominable sins they are committing against the art of music or who are evil enough to willfully package and sell what they know to be the ultimate test of consumer stupidity. Either way, you fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Coheed and Cambria are excellent. And they aren't emo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I remember liking this band. Everything after the first album went downhill fast. As of now, they're not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭*tOpLaSs

I remember liking this band. Everything after the first album went downhill fast. As of now, they're not good.

If you "remember liking them", then that proves you haven't listened to them in a while.. Therefore how can you say they're not good now? They are great =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Well I own their most recent album, I've listened to it and I don't like it. I say you're only as good as your most recent album. Therefore I think they're not a good band anymore...love the first record nonetheless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement