Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Year (well, september!)

Options
  • 17-06-2007 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

Do most people know what they want to study in september? And then for the rest of their lives? :D Did you always know what you wanted to be? i.e. were you the child with the plastic stethoscope around their neck? or have you only recently decided?

I still have no clue. I want to study English but after that I'm clueless. It baffles me how some students know they want to be lawyers at the age of 7. I can't help feeling that this is solely due to the prospect of money because someone in my class wants to be a lawyer and, on asking her what lawyers do, she had no clue!:) But maybe I'm wrong and it's like having a pre-destined career chip placed under your skin at the time of birth.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

I want to study psychology in September.. but after that I have no idea! Don't know what area etc I'll go into... don't need to know for another 3/4 years hehe.

I decided basically because my English teacher talked about it sometimes and it sounded really interesting, then the courses sounded interesting and nothing else really took my interest so I decided I'd go for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Apply to the Gardai in september cant wait my other option is to Join the Ambulance Service and become a Paramedic have a passion for both to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Computer Science in TCD.

What do I want to do with my life? No idea. Computers just interest me. I might get into robotics or something afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

im doin music in dit! i was gonna do science but i decided screw it i might as well do somethin i love! haven't a clue what the hell's gonna happen after that! probably end up some homeless busker or somethin knowin my luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Medicine in NUIG. Has always appealed to me, but only recently decided that its what I definitely want to do. All last year I had my mind set on doing Engineering, and then Economics, so I suppose you could say that I did decide recently.
    As for the rest of my life, not so sure. I'd possibly like to live abroad in Germany/Spain for awhile practicing. Dunno though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Medicine in NUIG. Has always appealed to me, but only recently decided that its what I definitely want to do. All last year I had my mind set on doing Engineering, and then Economics, so I suppose you could say that I did decide recently.
    As for the rest of my life, not so sure. I'd possibly like to live abroad in Germany/Spain for awhile practicing. Dunno though.
    I'm the same, except I hate medicine but I go through phases of different careers/courses. Right now, I'm thinking Economics or Journalism.

One thing I'm sure on, is that I want to live abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Physics UCC, got interested in it because of my teacher (who also taught me science at jc), never before have I been more interested in a subject. I cant wait, only realised how much I loved physics in 4th year, but Ive always wanted to do something mathematical/scientific related. After that Ill see where life takes me, could bloody end up a band manager! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I decided to do nursing after an open day in 5th year..dunno, it just sounded interesting i did some research n still sounds like something i would like to do.
    Before that I always wanted to be an airhostess lol. N if i didnt want to do nursin i'd prob do that instead.
    After finishin college i'll probably be an intellectual disability nurse, unless i dnt like it then i might get a diploma in pediatrics, n if i just dnt like nursin well... i dnt kno then hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

I have a memory of telling my posh aunt at my grandads funeral when I was 8 that I wanted to be a F1 driver, used to watch it every sunday on the television. Was a bit of a gimp of a child.

Now Im planning to do art, want to learn Spanish in the evenings to so I can move to South America and paint. Might get a H-dip before that though. I dont want to work/live in Ireland that much when Im older.

Is their going to be a labour shortage with every one in this thread wanting to work outside of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Timans wrote:
    Same.I'd prefer America, but I don't want to go the hassle of getting a green card, so i'll probably just end up in Germany.Berlin perhaps.Tis a lovely city indeed.

Anyways i've always known i've wanted to do something in the business sector, but its only in the past few years that i've narrowed that down somewhat to the economics sector.Anyways my course covers lots of stuff, so i'll still have a wide choice of things to do, but it mainly focusses on Economics and Business Law, and i'd be very interested in pursuing a career in either of those sectors.

By the way is anyone here planning on doing a job they don't particularly like for the money?I mean I really enjoy economics, but if I got paid more doing a job I hated (I don't know, something like being a janitor) I'd probably do that cause the number 1 thing that motivates me is money.So are most people here like me, or is there a bunch of hippy communists who put ''fulfillment'' before money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Music.

The rest of my life is planned out on flashcards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

I wanted to do physiotherapy up until last year, i changed my mind because of the surplas of physio's at the moment and it would be hard to get a job when qualified. So i went to the hospital and did work experience in different areas and loved the speech and language therapy department, and so thats what i have down on my cao. I always wanted to do something helping other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

So are most people here like me, or is there a bunch of hippy communists who put ''fulfillment'' before money?

If I had the guts I'd do English and Latin but I don't.:( So I'm going to do English and Maths (maybe).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Splinkk

Going to Colaiste Dhulaigh to do my Portfolio for art in September. Did the interview and all, got in, so Im sorted for next year anyway.

Have Music Tech in NUIM down number one of the CAO, coz I have a passion for music as well. Im deferring it though.
    If I find I thoroughly enjoy doing my portfolio, then Ill just do art, and not bother with Music Tech. But If I find myself pulling my hair out with art 24/7, then NUIM here I come =)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Timans wrote:

Definitely! I picked a course with quite low points because it really interested me and gave me the chance to spend a year abroad. 10 months into that year abroad and I absolutely love it (I'm in Germany btw). I'd definitely recommend it to everybody else, it's just a brilliant experience and you'll meet new people from all over the world. It's not even restricted to particular courses. There are people here studying medicine, law, business, translation studies, sciences... If you think you want to live abroad, you should definitely give it a try and see what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

General engineering in UCD. and then probably go for the electronic option in 2nd yr

I've always known i'd do something along those lines, it runs in the family and it just interests me!!

hopefully i'l get the points...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I was never fully sure what I've wanted to do until the start of 6th year when I decided I wantd to be a primary teacher. Then with points being just that bit too high, and not doing hons. Irish, I put down Arts in UCD at number 1. After that, I'll either do a postgrad and go into primary teaching, or else just start a H.Dip and do secondary teaching. My intended subject(for definate) in Arts at the moment is Economics, but if I get B's in history and French in the LC, I'll do those subjects too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

If I had the guts I'd do English and Latin but I don't.:( So I'm going to do English and Maths (maybe).

I can completely relate! My dream would be to do philosophy and english literature but I realise that, realistically, it won't get me very far. I really admire these people who choose to follow their love and passion, rather than doing what will guarantee them security, even if their goals are a tad far-fetched. To the poster who called these people hippy communists (or along those lines anyways) I have to completely disagree! Just because your simple minded character won't allow your insignificant and ordinary self to go beyond the realms of conformity and enter into the fields of aspirations and dreams, doesn't make the ideals of these people any less worthy than yours!

To the OP: I have had a passion for psychology for several years now, so it was relatively simple when filling out my CAO form. I can see my future and what I want to accomplish very clearly and this has allowed me to make the most appropriate decisions in the present. However, I would like to stress that we should not be confined to what we do now for the rest of our lives. There seems to be a common misconception that we are obliged to stick with our choices for the rest of our lives (no matter how unbearable it is for us and those surrounding us). In this day and age, when wealth is more prevalent than ever in Ireland, we have so many opportunities to follow our dreams, regardless of how many wrong paths we take. For example, my cousin has practiced medecine for several years now and has only recently decided to go back to uni and study art history. He feels that he was taken (and given) everything he can to medecine and now feels that it is time to start a new chapter in his life!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If I had the guts I'd do English and Latin

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I've got down first, why wouldn't you go for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

Finance in UCC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Computer Science in TCD.

What do I want to do with my life? No idea. Computers just interest me. I might get into robotics or something afterwards.

You'll need a major chance in attitude if you want to get through that degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Boston wrote:
    You'll need a major change in attitude if you want to get through that degree.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I did always want to do medicine all along but this year, maths pulled ahead as my favourite subject so I want a career in maths ideally. I'm torn between doing Actuarial and Financial Studies or Mathematics in TCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I've got down first, why wouldn't you go for it?

Because I'm a coward. I woke up in the middle of the night last week and said: "What in God's name am I going to do with a degree in English and Latin?" and had a bit of a freaker. It's scary and daunting. There's no guarantee you'll find a job and at that stage I'll be 23/24 and then a kid'll pop out and I'll have to live with my parents and he haw he haw he haw...

I'd like something that will at least guarantee secondary school teaching as a back-up and while Latin is taught in some schools its not taught in most.
    My dream would be to do philosophy and english literature

You can study psychology and English in Trinity. That's get you half way there.
    we have so many opportunities to follow our dreams, regardless of how many wrong paths we take. For example, my cousin has practiced medecine for several years now and has only recently decided to go back to uni and study art history. He feels that he was taken (and given) everything he can to medecine and now feels that it is time to start a new chapter in his life!

I was thinking if I did English and Maths that covers half of my wishes (and I love maths anyways I just hate the idea of working in a bank) and then if I spent a few years making €€€€ with maths I could then go and pursue my other interests.

My real dream is to be an artist. And I will. I'm just going to take a few byroads there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

No degree in the humanities area will get you a specific job. The vast majority of employers don't look for a specific degree, just that you have a degree of some variety.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Engineering in TCD first
    then either electrical engineering in UCD, Mathematical science in UCD or Maths in TCD..... cant decide

And if it all goes belly up I have Electrical eng in DIT (365 with bonus points in Maths, physics and app maths.:p I can get a total of 690 points... can even get into the course with just points from 3 subjects :D)

carlowboy wrote:
    I did always want to do medicine all along but this year, maths pulled ahead as my favourite subject so I want a career in maths ideally. I'm torn between doing Actuarial and Financial Studies or Mathematics in TCD.

I have that down as third choice, course looks really really interesting tbh, significant focus on economics and business in it too which I think I would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    I have that down as third choice, course looks really really interesting tbh, significant focus on economics and business in it too which I think I would like.

I know a few people who are doing it and some of them went in it because of they're like of business.....they subsequently hated it. They said that maths really has to be your number one favourite subject or else you'll hate it. That's what sold it to me.

Maths and physics are my favorite subjects, and Applied Maths too. Don't get me wrong, if I were to do the course it would be first and foremost because of my interest in maths. Its just the fact that I have a huge interest in Economics too, that makes it more appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Looking for Dentistry in Trinity. Changed from Medicine in the last few months.

Advertisement