Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another 'damp' query

Options
  • 17-06-2007 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Like the poster Sweetie - I also have a problem with damp - but in my kitchen. The (very old) kitchen presses are on the side wall of my house and the wall behind them is black, and food items like flour and such like tend to get very damp. You can also smell it in some of the presses where the food is even though these are appear quite sound. I discovered that the air vent had been completely covered in and plastered over when I removed layers of wallpaper recently.
    So basically there is no ventilation in the kitchen other than the door/window as I don't have an extractor fan. Could this cause such a problem or does it sound like there's a more serious issue going on here? I'm hoping to get someone in to check it out in the next month or so but I'd like to have an idea of what I am dealing with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Ventilation is needed in kitchens ,but it depends on the style of your house as to ,whether a blocked vent caused the damage.

If a kitchen is smaller than a given amount ,you need adequate ventilation for a gas cooker. If it's an open plan and then you've a bit more room to play with.

The dampness mighten necessarily be condensation ,it could be coming through the brickwork aswell.
    Personally ,I'd know myself by looking at it and checking it out . I'm sure if you called someone they would set your mind at ease.

Advertisement