Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanna buy new regs

• 17-06-2007 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Oki .. looks like I am going from a casual hobbyist to a more divery hobbyist..

So i am going to invest in a new set of regs.. I will be doing most of my diving in Norway by the looks of it but also doing warm water diving as well..

Suggestions please... so i can start to do my own research

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Can't go wrong with an environmentally sealed Apeks. Had two in the Arctic a few years ago, never a bother, even down to -1.5degs. Saw other "top of the range" makes fail though.

Tried n tested.

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

My instructor had Apeks 200s(?) i think and also said they were the pups nuts.. Which model did you use?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

apeks all the way. I'd get the xtx50's, i have the older brother the atx50's and they've never failed on me..

Seems Apeks are the way.. now where to buy..

• Advertisement

Spot on.. the question now remains do I need the nitrox version to dive with nitrox. Thought most regs could take blends to 40% without modification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

Ginger, Sell you arse if you have to the Apeks XTX200 its not the most expensive reg out there but it is the dogs bollox and best value for money.

As for the nitrox regs, all regs can use a blend of up to 40 %..
    But if you want a dedicated reg for deco.. look at the basic and bulletproof Scubapro MK2. have it cleaned and your laughing..

Stay safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

Apex are very good, a lot of technical divers use Poseidon too.
    I have a set of Mares regs for sale if you are interested...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

You can't go wrong with the apeks range. I'd go for the TX/ATX 40/50. The parts are all the same all the way up to the 200 with the same service kits. They're basically identical but cost way more. The new XTX range look a little flimsy to me. The TX/ATX are the same except the TX range have a slightly wider exhaust tee. Some people get annoyed by bubbles coming up the side of their face on the ATX range. I've 4 or 5 ATX/TX 40/50s and there's really no difference between any of them.

They've never given me any problems and I recommend Apeks to anyone who asks. The TX range are usually a good bit cheaper. The only difference is the second stage is slightly bigger but the internal parts are the same. They're easy to get serviced as well.

As for nitrox, I think only one of mine is the nitrox version. Unless you're going to be using one for deco then I wouldn't bother with the nitrox version. The others are all good for up to 40% and even if you do decide to use it in the future for higher than 40%, you can always get it cleaned.

/d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

Am the proud owner of an Apeks Black Pearl and can safely say I would never use any other brand. Like to back up every one else's comments, you can't go wrong with Apeks :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ronanm98

You could look at Scubapro as well, great regs and serviceable in any country.

Apeks are good too, if you are in Norway, Poseidon are scandivavian brand and are very good also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

anyone in my club with scubapro are constantly complaining about the problems getting them serviced.

Well, I was just talking to my mate who is living there at the moment, and he was diving last week, the water temp was a balmy 11 degrees! Thats in June.. I can imagine what its like in the winter...

Anyways,, decided with the Apeks probably the 50s but if I decide to treat myself maybe the 200s .. I need to get a dry suit and all the other gear as well... but regs seem to me to be the one bit you should own yourself after your mask and fins and obligitory rambo dive knife :p

Was looking for a new dry suit but it may look like if I buy one I will have to get it altered to fit my neck.. Is that possible. I dont fancy using a suit that has a 17" neck when i usually use an 18" (this in shirts) and anything smaller tends to cut the air supply :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

Scuba.ie wrote:
    Apex are very good, a lot of technical divers use Poseidon too.
    I have a set of Mares regs for sale if you are interested...:rolleyes:

That reg has just been SOLD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Ginger wrote:
    Well, I was just talking to my mate who is living there at the moment, and he was diving last week, the water temp was a balmy 11 degrees! Thats in June.. I can imagine what its like in the winter...
    That's the same temperature as it is here in Wellington, NZ in June. However it is winder here :p
    Ginger wrote:
    Was looking for a new dry suit but it may look like if I buy one I will have to get it altered to fit my neck.. Is that possible. I dont fancy using a suit that has a 17" neck when i usually use an 18" (this in shirts) and anything smaller tends to cut the air supply :P

If the drysuit you get comes with Latex Seals then it's very easy to get them replaced. Also all latex seals come standard and you cut them back to suit your comfort. A baby would barely be comfy with the initial hole.

You can also get neoprene seals which have more flexibility in the seals. I presume these can be replaced too though.

Drysuits are designed to be repaired, patched and modified to suit.

Advertisement