Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest way of accepting credit cards online

Options
  • 17-06-2007 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows the cheapest way of accepting credit cards online for a small business.

I'm guessing:
    Realex Payments
    Paypal or
    Worldpay?

Anyone have any advice or recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Paypal or Realex if you have a nice transaction volume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Bluenarf

paypal!!!

paul,
    www.paulsnet.org

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

PayPal Website Payments Standard looks easy enough.
    You can see how it compares to the other PayPal options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Also have a look at

www.2checkout.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

make sure your site has 'SSL' i think its called (makes it secure)
    i think its okay not to hav it with paypal but you need it with other checkouts that accept cc's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Bluenarf

if you use paypal they use one of their own ssl server to complete the transaction. its only when confidential information has to pass through your server that you require an ssl connection. but if u are using 3rd party groups for authoring credit cards and whatnot u usually don't need one. ssl certificats are expensive, very expensive

Paul
    www.paulsnet.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I think the transaction volume is going to be small.

2checkout looks a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

jrey1981 wrote:
    I think the transaction volume is going to be small.

I'd say go with paypal ... a lot of people have an account and its possibly the easiest way for the moment ...

If the volume of transactions increases you can look into other options such as realex

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

With PayPal you can have the money in your bank account within 5 working days.

2Checkout - payment cycle is weekly, charges are quite high and you won't see your money immediately - there's also a holdback fund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Bluenarf wrote:
    ssl certificats are expensive, very expensive
    You have to be taking the piss. The most you should pay for a cert is about €100 p.a. from an Irish host and you can get them a lot cheaper than that.

Even at €100, though, if you're using it for taking in payments and you feel that you're not going to cover a €100 p.a. overhead with what you'll take in then I suggest you don't bother with your venture.

jrey1981, if you're looking for cheapest then I suspect you mean cheapest in the sense of set-up and license fees - if so use Paypal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

wba88 wrote:
    make sure your site has 'SSL' i think its called (makes it secure)
    i think its okay not to hav it with paypal but you need it with other checkouts that accept cc's
    Many external providers don't require you to have SSL set up. You just post the info to them and they then take the credit card information from the user in an SSL session.
    It's never a bad idea though to have SSL set up if/when you're taking any information from customers, even if you're not handling CC info directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Bluenarf wrote:
    ssl certificats are expensive, very expensive

You can get RapidSSL certificate as little as USD$13 nowadays. Afaik, they are root certificates and work fine with many web browsers.

Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

jrey1981 wrote:
    2checkout looks a bit dodgy.

Been using it for 2 years now with no hassles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

2checkout is good but if you are a small retailer you may want to start with PayPal. PayPal can be integrated into your website.

Also, SSL certificates don't have to be expensive but you'll find some companies do over-charge for them so shop around. Even if you aren't handling sensitive data, SSL certificates can often help by re-assuring customers that the data being transferred is secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

thanks guys looks like it'd have to be Paypal...not keen on the fees though so I'd have to adjust prices accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Hi, I would recommende Paypal for the simple reason that it is reliable and also alot of your visitors may already be familar with it from ebay etc.. and of course feel more confident in it.

Advertisement