Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Security Grille

Options
  • 17-06-2007 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm looking to see if anyone has recommendations or experience in types of security grilles for house windows/doors.

Mu mother got up around half 6 this morning to go to the toilet and heard soemthign out the back, she looked out or side window (we live in an end of terrace house with large side garden that borders a field) and saw a guy on our side wall. She banged on the window and with that another 4 or 5 guys emerged from behind th ehouse and htey all scarpered over the wall. We originally thought they were trying ot break into our whed but when moy mother was talking to our neighbour out the back this afternoonshe notice the 2 side pices were off the window, so it turns out they were tryign to break into the house.

So now I want to get some sort of security grille for at least the kitchen window and if economically viable, the pation door too. They are the only 2 opening on the lower floor at the back. The kitchen wondow is a little under 4 foot by 4 foot. Not sure about the patio but its fairly standard (maybe 6 foot by 7 foot)

I was googlign and came across this site http://www.aceengineering.ie/trellidor.htm . that trellidor stuff looks good but I'd imagine expensive.I wouldnt even mind a static metal grille for the window like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SECURITY-GRILLES-WINDOW-GRILLES-WINDOW-BARS-REDUCED_W0QQitemZ220120108889QQihZ012QQcategoryZ71482QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem if its cheaper. Anyway, as I said, any recommendations or advice appreciated. cheers

One other thing, any recomendations for securing the garden wall? Its about 7 foot high and on the far side is a fairly scluded strip of field that offers good cover for people looking to jump over. My mother recently applied to have the piece of land incorparated into our garden for just this reason. We would have built a high shed across the back to completely cut in off, the application went right through the different phases of the council untill the final step, he houseing people turned ot down. According to a td we had discussed it with at polling time the found out it was because they may decide at some stage in the future that they might want to look into the possibility of building somthing in the field behind us and that stripe of field is the only possible way to put access in and out.

So want to do soemthing to deter people from jumping over. I assume the old thing of putting glass along the top of the wall has been outlawed? (cant have poor thieves injuring themselves now can we). Probably end up added a couple of courses of blocks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

you could also put the grease along the top of the wall ..
    you can get stuff that doesnt dry i think the hardwares do it ?? :D

Advertisement