Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have motorway bypasses had a positive or negative effect?

Options
  • 17-06-2007 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hello all
    I currently live in Edenderry but have been toying with the idea of moving for a while now. One place I have my eye on is Kilbeggan. It has some really nice features (distillery, nice looking shops etc). As some of you will know, Kilbeggan is about to be bypassed by the new streach of road on the M(N?)6 Galway road. My question is this - does the bypassing of towns like this one have a long term positive or negative effect? I know there are the immediate benefits re removal of traffic congestion etc. However, I'm thinking more about the long term effects. For example, will small businesses and shops in the town be forced to close due to lack of business etc. If there is anyone reading this who lives in towns which have already been bypassed (Rochfortsbridge or Tyrellspass, for example) I'd like to hear your opinions on this. Driving through those towns last week (admitedely on a Sunday) they appeared to be almost too quiet. Do you think these palces will survive as small towns in their own right or will they end up as commuting outposts with nothing to do except read mags in a crappy eurospar?

Cheers
    Neil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

As you said, both are true. You get rid of a lot of congestion etc but then again with less people passing through, certain types of business can find it tough.
    Im in Rochfortbridge and while i have not seen much of an effect, i have read in the westmeath examiner that there is a problem.
    I know at least 1 of our pubs has closed down. That could be unrelated though. I think we lost a salon... but again, there is another one and possibly 2 (not sure if maggie may is still in business).
    Im sure Centra is losing a little business but it will be fine as locals use it all the time.
    I think the most obvious impact is the Texaco station is closing, well its for sale because if there is little to no traffic other than locals, its not enough to keep it afloat... and also there are people like me who would rather drive to Mullingar and get it at tesco for 7c or so cheaper :D

Any small rural town will be quiet on a sunday. With the exception of pubs there is little else open on a sunday. They will survive unless the housing market in Dublin reverses. Most people in these towns are from Dublin like myself and were pushed out by the house prices, and a lot of us still work in Dublin too so the benefit of the road that makes it 35 mins to Liffey Valley, 45 mins to Blanchardstown (via back roads avoiding m50) is clear.
    The towns will not die but some small places might.. then again if someone has the good sense to build something that others might travel too... then that can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Cheers Saruman
    I'm an ex-Dub myself so I know what you mean. I like not having to get out of bed because I forgot to remove my head unit from the dash and bangers n' rockets goin off from late September tho, so I'll be staying country no matter what way prices go I think(unless I can ever afford a gaff in The Naul!).

Thinking about it a bit more I suppose Tullamore has a bigger influence on these towns than motorways. Here in Edenderry Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl have all opened up in the last couple of years and many of the traditional main st. business units are now empty. Tullamore is way ahead of Edenderry re franchise invasions so I guess that part of the transition is complete for those towns near you. Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement