Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new personal website.

Options
  • 17-06-2007 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hey there designers and coders..

I've just setup my personal website, which you can view at http://kevinholler.eu

Im open to all criticism, feedback etc... As long as you give feedback on negative criticism. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Bluenarf

nice!!

paul
    www.paulsnet.org

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

very nice, only suggestions i'd have would be to round-off the tables with the links on the left nav table, just to fit into the theme of the site overall... and maybe change the title font in the header graphic, it just doesn't seem to sit well with the "nature" theme to me.

but nice looking site either way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

Yeah in my next revision of the site im going to improve that. I get a big list of improvements together and do another revision :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

Ya its very nice,what did you use to create it?

I used a text editor with syntax highlighting. Photoshop CS3 for the header graphic and such.

I hate Dreamweaver and the likes. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I'm not crazy about the colour scheme to be honest. The brown and orange kind of reminds me of a Terrys Chocolate Organge.

Also, I'd consider removing the XHTML and CSS icons. They scream 'amateur' to those better versed with the web.

Well the colour is more of a personal opinion, which is fine. Not everyone likes orange.

As for the xhtml and css icons, thats the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. How does it scream amateur ..? It simply states that it is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

some extra line height would be nice, and maybe fix up some of those small validation errors.

yeah i have line-height down on the list.. Hmm, some validation errors may have occured over time while editing..

Thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭David O'Keeffe

Nice website. I'm interested in your graphic work and design.
    Well done. Consider diagonal stripes, of a thin width. Similar to those used for The Larkin's Pub website, only in colours that work with your website.
    It would make the graphics stand out better. If you like the idea, I demand the credit! :) Lol.

What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

The "Navigation" heading/text seems a bit redundant IMO.
    Decent enough looking site though.

teckoda wrote:
    Well the colour is more of a personal opinion, which is fine. Not everyone likes orange.

Yeah, design is largely subjective and I think the colour scheme looks horrific. You don't have to agree.
    teckoda wrote:
    As for the xhtml and css icons, thats the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. How does it scream amateur ..?

Well let me put it like this - you're going out of your way to show site visitors that your site's marked-up with valid XHTML. Think about it - 1) non-technical site visitors don't know or care what this is and 2) anyone who is technical (a potential employer perhaps?) might find it ridiculous that you would go to the trouble of trying to convince folks that you know something as remedial as XHTML. By all means, stick it in your CV but it just makes me cringe when I see it on designer's sites... it's unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What are you using for the gallery to say that it doesn't support IE7 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

I'll leave the design critique for someone else, but to back up laslo's point, have them or not, but if you choose to have them, make sure your site validates - you have an unclosed font tag somewhere in that page.

edit: your css is not valid either, I can't believe someone would proudly display those w3c links, and not bother to keep it valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The Gallery doesn't work on IE6 here.

heggie wrote:
    you have an unclosed font tag somewhere in that page

Indeed. And just to let you know, there are two problems here - not one. If you don't know what they are, you should probably get rid of your XHTML buttons.

Laslo wrote:
    Well let me put it like this - you're going out of your way to show site visitors that your site's marked-up with valid XHTML. Think about it - 1) non-technical site visitors don't know or care what this is and 2) anyone who is technical (a potential employer perhaps?) might find it ridiculous that you would go to the trouble of trying to convince folks that you know something as remedial as XHTML. By all means, stick it in your CV but it just makes me cringe when I see it on designer's sites... it's unnecessary.

Fair point and i do agree. icons have been removed.

For the gallery i am using pyxy-gallery 1.12 with lightbox 1.0 . I haven't really looked into the problem a such yet because i've been busy with various other things.

As for the gallery not working in IE6 either, thats news to me. Someone confirmed it working in IE6. I look into the issue asap.

Advertisement