Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Forum

• 17-06-2007 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭

A little bit of worthwhile (I hope :D ) feedback as regards the leaving cert forum;

Firstly the mods there do a great job. TimAy, Seamus, Hullaballú and Crash000are always there to tidy up stuff if needed. Take a bow lads and keep it up.

Now it's the forum I've used the most since I've been on boards for obvious reasons. There have been one or two (minor) problems however with multiple threads, off topicness and some abuse. Like any other forum you may say :p

What I was going to suggest was that the forum could employ a kind of prefect system where maybe one or two (to make sure its impartial) could have limited mod powers just to watch over the forum.

I think it'd be a good idea because from my experience its been 'my' forum for this year and giving someone a 'prefect' type status would help the forum I think. Obviously LC'ers are the ones that use it most so maybe giving a little power just to watch over the forum might be a good thing.

Now I hope people don't take this up wrong, I'm not criticising the current mods, the opposite in fact, I think they've done a fantastic job. Im not blowing my own trumpet either, im suggesting it for next years LC-ers and hopefully I won't be amongst them ;)

I'd be interested to see what people think, its just a suggestion anyhow.

cson
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What "limited mod powers" do you suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Im not exactly sure what powers you could give, maybe deleting duplicate threads or merging them, editing abusive posts maybe, I'd be hesitant to give banning powers because that can be abused but maybe some system could be worked out - forum mods checking the validity of bans, in that you'd lose your 'prefect' powers if you abused them.

Theres pro's and con's to everything I guess.

Edit: Just thought of another one, orienteering/induction for newbies! Theres an influx of newbies around mocks and LC time so maybe helping them and showing them the ropes might be another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The problem is, when you're doing the leaving, you're too bussy for the mod work, and once you finish, well you stop caring.

I dunno about being too busy Boston, I've spent a large whack of time on the forum when I probably should have been studying.

I suggest that it be passed on from year to year, i.e. you can only be a 'prefect' mod if you are doing the LC and for the duration of the LC year only.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I agree with the issues, but I cant see what more mods would do if the other mods are doing fine?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There are options in vB to set limited mod powers, such as moving/copying/merging/deleting posts. You can turn off various other powers such as editing posts and a few of the other bits. I'm not sure what the story is with banning powers, but I imagine they can be turned off easily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

But aren't the mods essentially 'prefects' for the Admins? If they are doing a good job and it's working, why change it? There are a mix of LC and non-LC mods there to cover all bases.

Just throwing out a suggestion tbh. I think it could only benefit the forum, of course recruitment and selection would have to be a thorough procedure!

Sully wrote:
    I agree with the issues, but I cant see what more mods would do if the other mods are doing fine?

Not much, bar at the exam times of the year. It seems to explode with users around then.

There's been a few interesting threads lately (the Money -vs- Education one, as an example) whcih contained some people coming on trolling, but TimAy nuked them quickly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If the forum is run as well as you say it is, I don't see the need. In fact, it would probably be more hassel than its worth.

Failing that, there is always the Report Post button.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I demand the initiation of the night watch.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=290921&referrerid=&highlight=
    *Cue theme*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dont remember posting in that thread?

though it was almost 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

cson wrote:
    I'm not criticising the current mods, the opposite in fact, I think they've done a fantastic job.

Then they are doing the job they are required to do by the Admins of this site.
    If you think that there needs to be some involvement by a person doing the leaving cert, why not just involve yourself? You don't need to be a Mod in order to do that, it's your forum after all.
    If you think there is a problem with a post, report it.
    Does the above not solve everything for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

cson wrote:
    Just thought of another one, orienteering/induction for newbies!

You mean orientation? Orienteering is a sport ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Just opened that thread and realised netwhizkid is banned. Legend.

Yeah I mean't orientation!

I suppose you're all right though, if it ain't broke...

Just thought it might be a good idea.

Anyway, let the cat pictures commence I guess...

Advertisement