Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 17-06-2007 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Like something nice and quiet...
    Is there any component I should consider changing? / or anything of a similar price but better performance?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
    OCZ Gold PC6400 2048
    Gainward Geforce 7300GT 256MB DDR2 Passive
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB
    Scythe Mine OR Ninja (which best? :confused: )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Are you big into games?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

DeafVision wrote:
    Are you big into games?

Nope, but do some photo & video editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

seems a grand build then , go for the ninja i have one its awesome :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Lower the card and get a better CPU?

You dont need that much if your not playing games!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

DeafVision wrote:
    Lower the card and get a better CPU?

You dont need that much if your not playing games!

...well never say never! the card isn't breaking the bank so I'll leave it (just in case :) )

• Advertisement

papu wrote:
    seems a grand build then , go for the ninja i have one its awesome :P

What's the difference between the two?
    ...really looking for the quietest one, should I consider anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

if you are not overlocking you do Not need a cooler.

you will be saving money on that and ya can maby get a E6600(which is a big jump in power compared to the E6420)

if you are also not overlocking you can get some value ram which will do fine.

awhir wrote:
    if you are not overlocking you do Not need a cooler.

you will be saving money on that and ya can maby get a E6600(which is a big jump in power compared to the E6420)

if you are also not overlocking you can get some value ram which will do fine.

Yep, probably won't oc (for the near future).
    What I'm looking for is a quiet fan. Are the stock coolers good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The stock cooler is pretty good, can make an annoying whine at very low RPMs and is not suited to overclocking (duh!)

Are you going to be running this thing off your own willpower or will a PSU be thrown into the mix. These are also a crucial factor in low noise.

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    The stock cooler is pretty good, can make an annoying whine at very low RPMs and is not suited to overclocking (duh!)

Are you going to be running this thing off your own willpower or will a PSU be thrown into the mix. These are also a crucial factor in low noise.

That being the case, I may hold off on the cooler, and see how the stock option works. How whiney is it??

I have a 450w Coolermaster PSU, which is reasonably quiet and should run the above components.

I (briefly) considered this for something really quiet, but I don't think it will fit in my Wavemaster :(

• Advertisement

Not very much at all, it might be my specific one. It was just when it would start spinning up or down to VERY low rpms, it sounded like a mouse squeaking. Of course, I am led to believe that it is in fact a hamster, or several small genetically engineered ones, that race around the cpu, carrying instructions and performing calculations. This would reinforce my theory of the fan being a modified hamster wheel, hence the squeaking!

Final quick question for the memory:
    • 2 x 1GB PC6400 or
    • 1 x 2GB PC6400

Does it really make a difference having 2 sticks?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

2x1Gb sticks will be better as their timings will be tighter (usually) and they will run in dual channel.

Also, imho those Seagate Barracudas aren't quiet, compared to my WD SE16 drives anyway. I found the seek noise on them worse than the 2 raptors i'm currently using. I'd recommend the Samsung Spinpoint drives, they are rated as being very quiet. Also get a drive that supports AAM to allow you to adjust how loud the seek noise of the drive is. I'm pretty sure all Samsungs have it as standard, but don't take my word for it, do your own research.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

L31mr0d wrote:
    2x1Gb sticks will be better as their timings will be tighter (usually) and they will run in dual channel.

Also, imho those Seagate Barracudas aren't quiet, compared to my WD SE16 drives anyway. I found the seek noise on them worse than the 2 raptors i'm currently using. I'd recommend the Samsung Spinpoint drives, they are rated as being very quiet. Also get a drive that supports AAM to allow you to adjust how loud the seek noise of the drive is. I'm pretty sure all Samsungs have it as standard, but don't take my word for it, do your own research.

the seagates are great drives and probably the fasted inexpensive hard drive.

There is a 50:50 chance if you get a quite 1 or a loud 1.
    you will know by the colour of the Die on the bottom this has been a probelm with .10 seagates.

Second the samsung, quietest drive I have ever used. 16MB cache 500GB drive for €90 can't be beat.

Advertisement