Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The right to ticket?

Options
  • 17-06-2007 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

A few nights ago I was stopped on double yellow lines on the left hand side of the road. I stopped for 2-3 minutes, left my left indicator flashing and left the engine running during this...

An undercover car passed me, informed me that I'm on double yellow lines and that I'm getting a ticket... They then took off without getting any details from me....

I don't know if they had taken down my reg. before then, or if they knew me already (it's possible in this town), my question is... are they technically allowed ticket a car that's still running, with indicators on? Or does the car have to legally be parked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

md99 wrote:
    my question is... are they technically allowed ticket a car that's still running, with indicators on?

Yes.... unless you are just poping in to do the lotto :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

When i did my driving test double yellows meant not to park there at any time.

You stopped your car on the lines, they are there for a reason so that cars will not be stopped there.

Whether you car was on, was in park doesnt really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Once your vehicle is stopped at the side of the road, it is parked. The only exception being when you set down to drop off passengers - though this too cannot be done just anywhere.

Indicators and hazard lights don't give you a free reign to stop where you want, regardless of what the country's taxi drivers think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I would've thought that you could pull in to answer your phone or whatever on double yellows?...seems not.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

my god! didnt they see you had your indicator on, whats wrong with police today. ive seen this kind of thing happen a million times before, you know you're crusing down the bus lane indicating that you are going to turn left in about 100 to 700 mtrs-ish, cops get so bent out of shape, pfffhhhtttt..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Double yellows are there for a reason. You probably won't get a ticket, but you should have.

There should be more attention on this kind of behaviour and less on speeding and drink driving. Inappropriate focus on those two issues takes away from attention on people who have no respect for the Rules Of The Road in general and are likely to be a liability on the roads. This costs lives. Gardai should be enforcing ALL of the ROTR, not just two parts.

I'm not saying that you were going to kill someone by parking there, but you should have been ticketed for not respecting the law. As should I or anyone else.

Advertisement