Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car radio installation query?

Options
  • 17-06-2007 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

I've got a new radio for my car and was wondering where the best place to take it to get it installed. Do I have to bring it to a garage or will a motor factors do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

a radio is very easy to install providing you dont need an insert for your car. Would you not give it a try yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭cayenne

What do you mean by 'insert'? I could give it a go myself but wouldn't be fully confident in myself in completing the task!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What sort of car do have and what type of stereo are you planning to have installed? As Wisesmurf says, it could very well be a simple DIY job - especially if both car and stereo use ISO connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

crosstownk wrote:
    What sort of car do have and what type of stereo are you planning to have installed? As Wisesmurf says, it could very well be a simple DIY job - especially if both car and stereo use ISO connectors.

Even if not, you can buy the ISO connectors for the various brands in good motorfactors. It really is dead simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

You may have noticed that a lot of car stereos are all the same size - probably about the size of a standard CD drive on a computer. Nearly all slightly older cars have this size, and a number of newer cars too. The ones that don't that come to mind are Fords from the '99ish-on generation, fairly modern VW cars, new Volvos etc., and these have stereos that are more "built in" looking with much larger faces. These types need an extra insert that fits around your new stereo to make it look the same shape - otherwise it'll work but you'll be left with a gaping hole in your dash. The electrical connections are most commonly ISO (2 fairly chunky connectors with a clip on one side of each) and any after-market stereo will take these. A few brands (again, Fords come to mind) have a custom connector but you can buy an adaptor from that to the standard ISO in any good motor supplies place. Finally, the aerial connection can be one of 2 common types, and nearly all aftermarket stereos come with an adaptor so they can take either type.

Basically, chances are you can do it yourself without cutting or joining any wires in an hour or two. All stereos come with usually pretty clear instructions for installation which are aimed at Joe Bloggs and not an auto electrician, and if you run into trouble, ask on here to make sure :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement