Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suzuki 4 x 4 required

Options
  • 17-06-2007 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Hey ,whats the crack with yous all. Put simply i'm looking for an old suzuki jeep, an sj410 or sj413 or similar. Its just a project im after not a minter, nothin fancy. if you have one for sale or know of one I would greatly appricate a response

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

so you wouldn't want mine then ?
    (see link in sig)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

peasant wrote:
    so you wouldn't want mine then ?
    (see link in sig)

You've a nice Jimny there Peasant, but it's a very different thing to an SJ.

Foxman, I've been keeping an eye out for an 'original' Irish SJ for a long time now, and they're like hens teeth. Best bet is to look for something in the UK. You'll be dealing with a bit of a rust bucket no doubt, if you're only wanting to spend small money on it, but they're easy to work on and patch....

Fleabay is a good place to look, or you could try the classifieds on Difflock.com for something owned by an enthusiast.

Yepp ..SJ's have gotten very rare.

The ones that weren't eaten by the tin worm have mostly been picked up by 4x4 enthusiasts, modified and pretty much taken off the road forever

(PS ...what I've got for sale there is not a Vitara, it's the sucessor to the SJ, the Jimny. Same running gear, just better ...and more power too)

EDIT: ahh you changed your post while I was typing :D
    t'is indeed a Jimny ...and no, it's not that different to a SJ, very modifiable, have a look here:
    http://www.kapsuzuki4x4.co.uk/jimny.asp

I always wanted to go down that road, but ultimately I needed a car first and foremost and can't really afford keeping an off-roader on the side.

...and another EDIT
    @ the OP
    I see that KAP (see link) have two nice looking modded SJ's for sale on their "for sale" page ...might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

peasant wrote:
    Yepp ..SJ's have gotten very rare.

Yes rare they are, i cannot find even one for sale in any mag or on any web site. overseas is lookin like the only option but thats costly.
    I want one to go off road with cos both the hilux and pajero are kinda heavy. Might have better look gettin a Dihatzu sportrack, 1.6 petrol and a bit heavier than an sj, but its better than nothin. is there lift kits and other stuff available for these or will i need to make it all?

to my knowledge the Daihatsu Sportrack never really made into the offroading sscene to any great degree.

The good thing about Suzis is that you have a great network of parts and support all over the world.

did you see that one on the KAP Suzuki site?
    photos%20for%20sale%20001.jpgEDIT image removed ...waaay to big. Just copy the address into your browser and you can see it  1500 Sterling ...not bad, VRT shouldn't be too much either ...so 2.5 - 3 k euro all in and you have a ready to play offroader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sj413zl1.jpg
    pretty mean looking!

yeah ...it's got quite a few expensive goodies (cage, lift, snorkel, bigger wheels) it's a very good price at 1500 Stg

yea i did see that one but i was really after one that haden't been messed with, cos i want to be the one doing the messing:D

one of the boys does have a sportrack and he comes with us when we go for an off road spin. Its standard and even at that its not to bad so if i had one jacked up with mud tires, i reckon she'd be pretty good off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Gil_Dub wrote:
    You've a nice Jimny there Peasant, but it's a very different thing to an SJ.
    Not really, as the SJ was always called the Jimny in Japan and some other markets. However, it was normally a kei car (i.e. tiny, <660cc engine, etc.) - what we got in the '80s was the Jimny Sierra and what we get now is the Jimny Wide, which are larger versions of the car with real-sized engines.

As the Jimny Sierra (i.e. what we got as the SJ413) was still sold till at least 1998, you may have some luck finding an import. However I didn't find any on the usual sites...

what's your budget (pre modifications) ?

I'll keep my eyes peeled

• Advertisement

id like to keep it low, three figures, but that might be too mean considiring the low supply high demand. could stretch a bit more, but im not paying through the nose for crap. I could pick up a dihatzu handy enough for little money.

That one on kapsuzuki4x4.co.uk is too dear. 2500 - 3000 in euro :eek: I could pick up another hilux for that. Mizerism is a curse!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

In that case you're probably better off with the Daihatsu ...Suzis have become too dear to expect anything serviceable for three figures.

I think your right. ill let you know what happens, keep an eye out for one of either that comes up, over and out :)

Not really, as the SJ was always called the Jimny in Japan and some other markets. However, it was normally a kei car (i.e. tiny, <660cc engine, etc.) - what we got in the '80s was the Jimny Sierra and what we get now is the Jimny Wide, which are larger versions of the car with real-sized engines.

As the Jimny Sierra (i.e. what we got as the SJ413) was still sold till at least 1998, you may have some luck finding an import. However I didn't find any on the usual sites...

Fascinating. Seeing as you're setting yourself up as a knowledgable source, you'll no doubt be aware that it wasn't until late 1997 that Suzuki took the decision to brand their small 4x4 in all markets as the Jimny, from the 1998 new product model onwards.

Now, perhaps you care to tell me which major mechanical components are interchangeable between an SJ410/413 and the first generation of Suzuki 4x4's to be marketed in the UK & Ireland market as a 'Jimny', the same model advertised by Peasant?

SJ's are leaf sprung, run different undercarriage, gear boxes, T-boxes, which could all be mixed and matched, along with their body tubs and front ends..... Which of these major mechanical components can be replaced without modification by donor parts from a Jimny? No point in referring to engine swaps - That's a big job involving re-looming and so forth....

Not so similar after all, are they? Or are you actually going to argue that by having a 'Jimny' branding in some markets, the SJ's somehow become similar?

Jimny's are great. SJ's are great. But they're really two very different things. Like Defenders and Series II's in the Landrover fraternity, they might *look* similar and share a heritage, but they're by no means similar when you get underneath and start looking to replace bits....

I'm not having a go, but do your homework before you decide to come back with another try. If you were to have drawn a comparison between a Jimny and a 3 door Vitara, I'd be more inclined to have let it slide....But you'd still have been wrong to do so.

Gil

PS @ Peasant, my fingers were just waking up when I typed originally, but gosh you were quick to pick it up! ;-)

almost as quick as in picking up that you cant compare the Vitara with its indepently sprung front wheels with the solid axle from the Jimny either :D

In case you missed it OP....From the buy and sell just now....Look it up in the B&S for the phone number....

Suzuki Sj 413 (86) silver low millage good condition,Plus (85) sj 413 rolling chassis with running gear... Leinster Carlow
    1,255 087-62803xx [save ad]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Gil_Dub wrote:
    lots of stuff
    I was just making the point that there is much more to the Jimny name than just the cars Suzuki currently sell here, and there are several generations of kei car size Jimny available in Japan and elsewhere that the OP probably is completely unaware of and wouldn't be interested in. My post may have been more useful if I could actually find any Jimny Sierras for sale on import sites or auctions...

In Suzuki's lineup the current Jimny is the direct successor to what we got as the SJ. But I was never suggesting they are mechanically related.

Advertisement