Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths or Irish

Options
  • 17-06-2007 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

i'm currently going into 6th year and i'm doing 7 honours subjects including irish and maths. i'm now wondering whether to keep honours irish or maths as i only want to do one of them at higher level.i got 55% in irish and 55% in maths in my 5th year summer exam. which one has less work amd which one should i keep?CHEERS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Well, initially I was going to drop Irish because I thought I'd never do that well in it! Then I ended up getting a B2 in the mocks (I averaged 70ish till then) and only got a C1 in maths (which once upon a time was my best subject), and got C3s in Chemistry and Applied Maths (Which I did well in up until then! Got many an A in Chemistry exams). So, my advice is to wait until the mocks :) In the end Irish turned out to be one of my better subjects. Also it's best to stick with 7 honours cause an exam can go badly and at least then you'll have something to fall back on...

However, if you're intent on dropping one, I'd say maths, because if you're getting 55% in your summer exam it'll probably start going downhill once the topics start piling up... Irish is a LOT of work also, but by listening in class you should be able to get a C or a B :)

But I'd advise you to wait for a while and see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Hey Cartman Best advice is to stick both of them at Honours level until the mocks, when you get the results then decide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

keep going until christmas of 6th year, then you'll know yourself. I know that i would choose maths but thats because i love maths, youll have to decide for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Some people prefer some subjects than others. A good indicator is your other subjects. If youre good at the sciences for example maths is more likely to be your cup of tea but if you like french more then irish may be preferable. But tbh wait another while and see how things pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

If youre teacher does good revision from the mocks until june (just practice exam questions) You'll find honours maths a breeze, i didnt study at all for maths and know ive went from a c3 (mocks) to hopefully a high B or A. Irish on the otherhand was bull****ted completely by me in the LC, i doubt ill improve on the 75% i got in the mocks... I know i'd go with maths.. a lot of its just sense, understand all of the topics and you'll do fine, you can leave out sequences and series btw for paper 1 so long as you know the basics that may come in other areas of the exam.. (Q8 and 7 paper 2 this year i think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Id say wait untill christmas or the mocks myself.
    However, Honours maths will probably prove more usefull to you than honours Irish, depending on what you want to do. The only course that requires Honours Irish, AFAIK, is Primary Teaching.
    A career guidance teacher might be able to help you out too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭óbriain1988

ya wait till Christmas i say.... more people do hl irish so maybe that's generally easier.... but like it's def down to the person. i'd imagine that there's more work to do in maths to get a decent mark but i only did the irish like so i can't really say.. although i will say irish is more useful :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

In my experience people who are bad at maths find it incredibly difficult, but if you got 55% in 5th year I really think you're cabable of a C in the LC.

On the other hand, ~42% of the HL Irish exam is for a relatively easy oral exam and a joke of an aural exam.

If you reckon you can cope with maths and are willing to work at it then drop to OL Irish, and vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

cartman444 wrote:
    i'm currently going into 6th year and i'm doing 7 honours subjects including irish and maths. i'm now wondering whether to keep honours irish or maths as i only want to do one of them at higher level.i got 55% in irish and 55% in maths in my 5th year summer exam. which one has less work amd which one should i keep?CHEERS!
    Personally I had to drop hons maths as it was so hard. Irish would be the easiest to get an honour in I think. But at the mo you seem to be coping wit hboth of them, keep them up for now & they'll serve you well I'd say.
    Talk to your teachers.

Jay112 wrote:
    Hey Cartman Best advice is to stick both of them at Honours level until the mocks, when you get the results then decide!
    That's too late IMO. Pass papers in most subjects aren't just an easier version of the honours paper, they're completely different courses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

Hear hear, although moving from Honours maths to pass, it is relatively an easy step...

Personally for me, H maths was just very very tough, i found irish alot easier to get a high grade on. So i would take the irish higher :rolleyes:

Well, I dunno, I mean I'm an honours A student in maths, but were I to change to pass at the last minute, I might only manage a B due to never seeing some stuff before.

Simpson's Rule and Tax would be examples of two things in pass that aren't in higher maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Simpson's Rule is in the Tables book. Tax is a no-brainer, and otherwise if you know your sequences and series (is that the right English?) you're fine.

Dropping to pass maths is probably easier than dropping to pass Irish.

I dropped to pass maths at the start of 6th, and I'd already learnt most of the course through higher level 5th yr.

Ask your teacher about differences in the two Irish courses.

I think it'd be easier to work your own way through pass maths than pass irish.

Advertisement