Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX 360 - HD or not HD

Options
  • 17-06-2007 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey,
    I am in the process of buying an Xbox 360 and i really need to know a few things.

* Does having a HD tv do nothing if you have Sky HD?

* If not how big a difference would it be?

* What size tv would you reccomend i get?

* Can you get HD tv's that are not LCD?

*How do you use an Xbox 360 with a computer monitor?

And another thing, Does anyone have an 17/19" LCD monitor with built in speakers for sale that they would reserve for me (Untill i get paid:() for around 150Euro?
    Pleeeeeeeease?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

1. Not really sure what you mean here, you would need a HD tv if you had sky HD. Would be pointless to buy sky HD and not have one.
    2. Dont have it so cant really say. But the HD channels would look much nicer, I think there is only about 6 or so. sky1, the movie channels, sports channels, discovery and some others. But it would also make normal channels look much nicer as it would be over hdmi rather say scart which looks like sh.ite.
    3. For just gaming I think 26" is perfect but bigger is better :D, for 1080p the minimal is like 32".
    4. I believe you can but HD crt tvs are rare and id imagine dear, i cant say why you would get one over a LCD and all new LCD's have very low response rate and good black contrast ratio which was always the main argument against them.
    5. You just need to buy the vga cable, its only around 15eur online or even cheaper if you get a 3rd party one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Sean.Domo wrote:
    * Does having a HD tv do nothing if you have Sky HD?
    * What size tv would you reccomend i get?
    * Can you get HD tv's that are not LCD?

If you want to get the most from your HD tv and have a high dev viewing experience then you would need SkyHD (there are no other ways to get a HD tv signal at present). However it is not required and you can still watch normal standard def on a hd screen.

Anything really bigger than 28" is good for 720p. Although, I would recommend 32" and upwards if you have the budget. You wouldn't notice the quality difference that much on a small television.

Why would you not want to get a LCD? :confused:
    LCD HD TV's are the best at the moment. They have a fantastic refresh rate and the picture quality is stunning. They are also coming down in price and you can pick up a decent Samsung, Sony etc. HD LCD for €700 or so on online stores. Your only other option besides a LCD tv would be a plasma screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Not sure what you mean by SkyHD but if you are planning on getting it then a HDTV is required, otherwise it's just a waste. As for types of HDTV you can get plasma but I peronally prefer LCD. They are cheaper to run and don't suffer burn in, although this is not as much of a problem for plasmas as it used to be. Regarding size, I think it's relative to the size of the room you'll be in. I've a large living room so I went with a 40 inch Samsung. Must say it looks great with the xbox :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I think samsung do a CRT HD tv. Saw it in currys a few months ago, but it was huge compared to teh equivalent LRC screen, plus it had limted connections (only 1 hdmi).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sean.Domo

Oh right, thanks a mil everyone.
    I am getting a job in a week or two, so ill use your advice and go for a 32":D
    Ill let you know what i get.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement