Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**** you, Ireland.

• 17-06-2007 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I am sick to death of this country and it's ridiculous sense of social conservativism and ****witted apathy. And before you think "Oh but you don't mean ME surely, I am a user of the internet and therefore more educated than most folk!" yes I mean you too. I've been in enough arguments on this board to know that there are more than enough idiots to go around here too.

What the hell, seriously? People complain about our current government, then VOTE THEM IN AGAIN. Nobody cares about the Tribunials, the controversy, the general lack of progress? And now you're going to tell me "Oh but us here on Boards.ie mostly realise that!"

No, you don't. You don't realise that it's your dimwitted mentality that's causing this. Your complete lack of desire to stand out and be heard, for fear of ridiculous character assassination, WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THIS? YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT YOUR SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT AND NEVER LISTEN TO ANYONE ELSE'S! which I guarantee will make up at least 30% of the replies I get to this thread. **** that.

The truth is, Ireland, that you're one festering pile of steaming ****. You cling to a cultural identity that no longer exists. You're corporate sell outs, drunken louts, pissing on the graves of the people that got you where you are today.

Your attitudes are pathetic. You fail to realise that even kicking up a storm can be sufficent to make a difference, and spend all your time attacking those who actually try to instigate change. You care more about people attacking bigotry than people spreading rampant bigtory, more about people that moan about shady characters in ways you don't approve of than the damage the shady characters do to our country.

And the students. **** me, the students. You all dress the same, think the same and do pretty much the same. Yes, there are plenty of exceptions, but compared to what students used to be, it's paltry and pathetic. What the **** happened to students being the bohemian force of cultural forwarding? All you do is walk around in your jeans and pastel coloured shirts and hoodies obsessing over a career that will never make you feel truly fulfilled, drinking and patting yourself on the back for ANY level of activism at all you engage in, no matter how meager.

Irish people look boring. I don't care if people say it doesn't matter, it ****ing does. It's not shallow to want to live in a place with nice buildings, it's not shallow to want to live in a place where people aren't afraid to express themselves for fear of some conservative youth making them feel immature just for standing out. 2 minutes on a site like Myspace browsing people from Ireland and then any other European country shows very quickly that Irish people quite simply look boring, and have much less diverse interests. THIS IS THE TRUTH. IT IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF. And yes, it does mean we are FAR more sheepish than some of our neighbours.

You act boring. I'm sure I'm going to be met with hundreds of replies of how CRAZY the SKYDIVING was with Donncha from Templebar the other day, but that's not worth a toss, every developed country has that. What about our cultural exports? We have offered some of the most terrible music that has done insurmountable damage to the music industry of both of the UK and Ireland, and who the hell would want to import our television? We are a cultural black hole of creativity. We offer very little.

And don't get me started on how "Laid back" the Irish Lifestyle is, and how other countries are just SOOO hectic. They only way in which they're more hectic is that they actually give a toss about things. Ireland is only laid back in so far as that it does NOT give a ****, total social apathy for the most apart.

We are work mad, career mad. We work longer hours than most of europe, and our leaving cert is a rat race. Colleges are high pressure and have poor social scenes, they're not like real universities at all. We are Corporate. We are Soulless. This is nothing to celebrate either, no matter how good it makes our economy. We have no real cultural identity. Irish people will tell you they're happy, more so than many other countries. But they're really just easily fooled. Looking at what our country actually IS like, it makes no sense for them to be. **** services, rampant conformity throughout or social scenes, overpriced goods, nothing for young people to do but drugs and smashing old ladies over the head with whiskey bottles.

Irish people on the internet... they seem ridiculously amateur, about as "haha I'm using the internet" as you can get. And the internet is already BAD, so that makes it worse. Irish people are vicious authoritarians; this forum can be a great example, people being banned for weeks from forums for minor offenses and cocky moderators pissing in their faces. It doesn't matter if a board is "private property", it's only common courtesy to treat others, especially your patrons, with decency, even if you don't like what they say or how they say it. To me, this reveals the real maggot ridden lump of burnt flesh in the Irish mentality, how incompetent we are at dealing with other people, dealing with social structures.

Our country ****ing sucks.

Rebellion is GOOD, instigating change is GOOD. You need to learn that. It is not immature to whine, moan, to want to change things. it's GOOD, because the alternative means that nothing improves.

I know I'm going to be torn apart, because that's all most people can do. Say HOW DARE YOU TELL US WE'RE WRONG and never bother to refute any of my points. The rest will be anecdotal arguments, or ridiculously ambiguous stats, or saying how I have a point but shouldn't express it so angrily. Which annoys me the most, because you'll go to the ends of the earth bitching about someone you basically agree with, without lifting a finger to try and stop the real tragedies in the world. Or you'll say "Oh our problems mean nothing; the Childrens are dying in Africa", and not bother doing anything about that either. Or if you don't like it, leave. How the hell will that solve anything?

It's GOOD to be pissed. Our problems ALWAYS matter, how the hell can he help anyone else if we're a mess? It's good to ****ing swear at people that
    piss you off. It's good to be the opposition, to be strong and independant. It's good, NOT immature, to be rebellious.

What am I doing about it? Not a lot, right now. I'm not a in a position to. But I'm ranting. And ranting is good. There are people who are in fantastic positions to do things, but do nothing. That's what ranting is good for; puts pressure on them to incite change.

But the truth is, we have serious problems. And you know it. And you know I'm right. We are ****. And we need to do better. Or we'll be with O'Leary, in the grave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ayahuarian

Genius, I'm with you and agreeing with you all the way. Unfortunately, most replies will probably be negative.

I like you're mind all the same :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Then leave

Thats what I'm doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

You're hilarious...

What are your views on the Nazi's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

KTRIC wrote:
    Then leave

Thats what I'm doing.

I'm leaving too, as soon as I finish college. But I hate that attitude - it doesn't fix anything. You don't just run from things like this. Most people who are miserable believe themselves to be content. They'll never move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I love when people stress on the Internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Rozie is into equality..

Hello!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I only bothered to read the first eight words of the original post. I guess that means it'll fit into one of the stereotyped groupings I'm presuming are mentioned in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Rozie is into equality..

Hello!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Rozie wrote:
    I am sick to death of this country and it's ridiculous sense of social conservativism and ****witted apathy. And before you think "Oh but you don't mean ME surely, I am a user of the internet and therefore more educated than most folk!" yes I mean you too. I've been in enough arguments on this board to know that there are more than enough idiots to go around here too.

What the hell, seriously? People complain about our current government, then VOTE THEM IN AGAIN. Nobody cares about the Tribunials, the controversy, the general lack of progress? And now you're going to tell me "Oh but us here on Boards.ie mostly realise that!"

No, you don't. You don't realise that it's your dimwitted mentality that's causing this. Your complete lack of desire to stand out and be heard, for fear of ridiculous character assassination, WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THIS? YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT YOUR SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT AND NEVER LISTEN TO ANYONE ELSE'S! which I guarantee will make up at least 30% of the replies I get to this thread. **** that.

The truth is, Ireland, that you're one festering pile of steaming ****. You cling to a cultural identity that no longer exists. You're corporate sell outs, drunken louts, pissing on the graves of the people that got you where you are today.

Your attitudes are pathetic. You fail to realise that even kicking up a storm can be sufficent to make a difference, and spend all your time attacking those who actually try to instigate change. You care more about people attacking bigotry than people spreading rampant bigtory, more about people that moan about shady characters in ways you don't approve of than the damage the shady characters do to our country.

And the students. **** me, the students. You all dress the same, think the same and do pretty much the same. Yes, there are plenty of exceptions, but compared to what students used to be, it's paltry and pathetic. What the **** happened to students being the bohemian force of cultural forwarding? All you do is walk around in your jeans and pastel coloured shirts and hoodies obsessing over a career that will never make you feel truly fulfilled, drinking and patting yourself on the back for ANY level of activism at all you engage in, no matter how meager.

Irish people look boring. I don't care if people say it doesn't matter, it ****ing does. It's not shallow to want to live in a place with nice buildings, it's not shallow to want to live in a place where people aren't afraid to express themselves for fear of some conservative youth making them feel immature just for standing out. 2 minutes on a site like Myspace browsing people from Ireland and then any other European country shows very quickly that Irish people quite simply look boring, and have much less diverse interests. THIS IS THE TRUTH. IT IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF. And yes, it does mean we are FAR more sheepish than some of our neighbours.

You act boring. I'm sure I'm going to be met with hundreds of replies of how CRAZY the SKYDIVING was with Donncha from Templebar the other day, but that's not worth a toss, every developed country has that. What about our cultural exports? We have offered some of the most terrible music that has done insurmountable damage to the music industry of both of the UK and Ireland, and who the hell would want to import our television? We are a cultural black hole of creativity. We offer very little.

And don't get me started on how "Laid back" the Irish Lifestyle is, and how other countries are just SOOO hectic. They only way in which they're more hectic is that they actually give a toss about things. Ireland is only laid back in so far as that it does NOT give a ****, total social apathy for the most apart.

We are work mad, career mad. We work longer hours than most of europe, and our leaving cert is a rat race. Colleges are high pressure and have poor social scenes, they're not like real universities at all. We are Corporate. We are Soulless. This is nothing to celebrate either, no matter how good it makes our economy. We have no real cultural identity. Irish people will tell you they're happy, more so than many other countries. But they're really just easily fooled. Looking at what our country actually IS like, it makes no sense for them to be. **** services, rampant conformity throughout or social scenes, overpriced goods, nothing for young people to do but drugs and smashing old ladies over the head with whiskey bottles.

Irish people on the internet... they seem ridiculously amateur, about as "haha I'm using the internet" as you can get. And the internet is already BAD, so that makes it worse. Irish people are vicious authoritarians; this forum can be a great example, people being banned for weeks from forums for minor offenses and cocky moderators pissing in their faces. It doesn't matter if a board is "private property", it's only common courtesy to treat others, especially your patrons, with decency, even if you don't like what they say or how they say it. To me, this reveals the real maggot ridden lump of burnt flesh in the Irish mentality, how incompetent we are at dealing with other people, dealing with social structures.

Our country ****ing sucks.

Rebellion is GOOD, instigating change is GOOD. You need to learn that. It is not immature to whine, moan, to want to change things. it's GOOD, because the alternative means that nothing improves.

I know I'm going to be torn apart, because that's all most people can do. Say HOW DARE YOU TELL US WE'RE WRONG and never bother to refute any of my points. The rest will be anecdotal arguments, or ridiculously ambiguous stats, or saying how I have a point but shouldn't express it so angrily. Which annoys me the most, because you'll go to the ends of the earth bitching about someone you basically agree with, without lifting a finger to try and stop the real tragedies in the world. Or you'll say "Oh our problems mean nothing; the Childrens are dying in Africa", and not bother doing anything about that either. Or if you don't like it, leave. How the hell will that solve anything?

It's GOOD to be pissed. Our problems ALWAYS matter, how the hell can he help anyone else if we're a mess? It's good to ****ing swear at people that
    piss you off. It's good to be the opposition, to be strong and independant. It's good, NOT immature, to be rebellious.

What am I doing about it? Not a lot, right now. I'm not a in a position to. But I'm ranting. And ranting is good. There are people who are in fantastic positions to do things, but do nothing. That's what ranting is good for; puts pressure on them to incite change.

But the truth is, we have serious problems. And you know it. And you know I'm right. We are ****. And we need to do better. Or we'll be with O'Leary, in the grave.

Lol i have to say gave me a good giggle this, worst case of PMS ive ever seen

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Hope you dont develop the same "outlook" when you move abroad or you'll have to keep moving from country to country.

I hear Iraq is nice this time of year...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

/** Angry cat is Angry **/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Ok I'll admit it. I'm Irish and I'm the one killing all the bees!

Rozie wrote:
    I'm leaving too, as soon as I finish college. But I hate that attitude - it doesn't fix anything. You don't just run from things like this. Most people who are miserable believe themselves to be content. They'll never move.

Then let them stew. I'm proud to be Irish, I'll miss Ireland dearly but I think I'll be a lot happier elsewhere.

Ireland has been broken for a long time, no amount of crying is going to fix that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

lol, that is the funniest rant-in-denial I've read. Cheer up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Got bored after 3 sentances, you know everything, the rest of us are all lemmings who think everything is great.

gl with that.

P.S: Is there a PMS section on boards? Perhaps there should be, this belongs there. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

So you feel fine berating everyone for doing the exact same thing as yourself then?

If you're not going to do "anything much" to change things then you're equally as responsible as most of the rest of society for the way things are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

We can do without people like you Rozie. You won't be missed TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Great post it has to be said. I agree with most of your points. Can I just ask though, you've clearly been thinking about this for a while, but there must have been something that made you snap and decide to post, what was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Me seems to think that the OP just needs a good stiff one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You should give yourself a pat on the back.

Activism at it's finest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

TimAy wrote:
    lol, that is the funniest rant-in-denial I've read. Cheer up

:D

Someone needs a kitten thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Yes, Rozie, everyone is stupid except you.

Kenny 5 wrote:

Is that an offer :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Actually, he is not only right, but he was being damn nice about it.

Ireland, the country that doesnt learn from other peoples mistakes, they have to make all their own.

I am one of the soon to be leavers.

Rats from a sinking ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Kenny 5 wrote:

Brilliant :D

i think YOUR the problem :D

I think you need grammar lessons

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think YOUR the problem :D

stepbar wrote:
    We can do without people like you Rozie. You won't be missed TBH.

Ah the old "If you dont like it **** off"
    Onya.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Kenny 5 wrote:

I presume you mean a crowbar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

<KeyserSoze> poor girl, probably needs a ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Jumpy wrote:
    Ah the old "If you dont like it **** off"
    Onya.

Maybe we have it too good. Our parents and grandparents didnt have it so. The OP needs to cop the **** on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Whilst some points you make are true, you come across as being arrogant and there is little doubt in my head that you have mental problems. As such, I implore you to visit a counsellor.

Take care,
    Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Join a club or go travelling.

I got what I wanted from being born and raised in Ireland so Im happy enough. Living abroad now.

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote:
    Maybe we have it too good. Our parents and grandparents didnt have it so. The OP needs to cop the **** on.

Actually he doesnt. He is the first indication that the irish are not as blind as I thought they were. :rolleyes: Although its a little over the top, I actually agree with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Kenny 5 wrote:

lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

You're hilarious...

What are your views on the Nazi's?

Actually ireland could do with a dose of nazism aside from the racial killings and war and stuff a good bit of patriotism is what is needed.

Also while I agree with him I have the fortune of gracing Wales with my presence and dont dress in hoodies and whatever all the rest of the sheep wear.

Or maybe her. Oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ayahuarian

Kevster wrote:
    Whilst some points you make are true, you come across as being arrogant and there is little doubt in my head that you have mental problems. As such, I implore you to visit a counsellor.

Take care,
    Kevin.

Lots of people getting aggressive here. Can't we not even agree with what she said? Because it's the truth. Unless a good deal of you have head-in-the-sand syndrome....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Rozie wrote:

I actually agree with you on most of what you say but 'What am I doing about it? Not a lot, right now. I'm not a in a position to.' do you think we're all sitting in the Dail here ? Yes the same government is back in. But did you see the alternative shower of muppets ? best of a bad lot if you ask me.

The country sucks for many reasons but it's a hell of a lot better than many other countries and when you grow up and spend some time abroad you'll realize this.
    Nice Rant though...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jumpy wrote:
    Actually, he is not only right, but he was being damn nice about it.

Ireland, the country that doesnt learn from other peoples mistakes, they have to make all their own.

I am one of the soon to be leavers.

Rats from a sinking ship.

Bye. Hope the water level doesnt get too hi before you manage to get out. Maybe you should leave right now just in case.

Ayahuarian wrote:
    Lots of people getting aggressive here. Can't we not even agree with what she said? Because it's the truth. Unless a good deal of you have head-in-the-sand syndrome....

It's no different than all the other "the country is ****" threads.For a big steaming pile of crap country, theres an awfull lot of people coming in.

I'm sure Enda Kenny,Jerry Adams or Pat Rabbitte would have had us all paying no tax, earning millions and having four own private doctor, nurse, fireman and gard following us around within days just like in all the other countries in the world cos they're great but we chose otherwise, boo hoo. Maybe we should all go back to the good ol days of no jobs and 18% interest rates like we had before Bertie .

For the record, I'm perfectly happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i love ireland and so do lots of other people.

dont blame us for your crap lifestyle which is a result of your life choices.

maybe you should do all us a favour and piss off elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sleepy wrote:
    So you feel fine berating everyone for doing the exact same thing as yourself then?

If you're not going to do "anything much" to change things then you're equally as responsible as most of the rest of society for the way things are.

I feel I must agree with Sleepy.

Rozie, you're equally as apathetic about things as anyone else if you're not actually out there trying to change something yourself, and you're infact worse for it by being so nausiatingly self-righteous about it and expect everyone else to work towards change.

It's like sitting on the couch and bemoaning someone for not getting up and getting the remote so that you can change the channel because you're not interested in the show that's on, while the person you're bemoaning is enjoying the show, yet you're not even willing to get off your lazy ass and get the remote yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

KTRIC wrote:
    Is that an offer :eek:

Negative, I'm giving it to yore ma instead ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Jesus, shes the OP is back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Rozie name one thing you have done to change all this ...apart from your brillant idea of leaving...

I am gonna need popcorn for this one.
    *reclines chair*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

KTRIC wrote:
    I think you need grammar lessons

I think YOU need grammar lessons

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Hormones working overtime?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement