Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**** you, Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ballooba wrote:
    It's funny that people actually can't see the homogenisationand destruction of our culture. It's a pity there is no political leadership, our politicians treat us like consumers instead of actually leading. The PDs despite their faults tried to take on drink culture with their cafe bars proposal but didn't get backing. I shudder every time I hear someone mention the word "session" with glee. Especially girls.

Okay our politicans leave a lot to be desired. But by god its never been a better time to be Irish. We enjoy ourselves and have odd session or two. And so what? Do we want to be like the ****ing Americans whose notion of a good time is going to the drive thru for KFC. We work hard and we play hard, I have no problem with that TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

stepbar wrote:
    We work hard

*snigger*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Rozie wrote:

I know I'm going to be torn apart, because that's all most people can do. Say HOW DARE YOU TELL US WE'RE WRONG and never bother to refute any of my points. The rest will be anecdotal arguments, or ridiculously ambiguous stats

Isnt your argument nearly completely anecdotal? Some of your points are valid the rest is blown way out of proportion nonsense. We dress boring is not an argument for a terrible country!

Oh and Rozie I miss you from the UL forum. It was great to have somebody who would complain about UL at every possible opportunity. :rolleyes: I see you are still your angry self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It could be, just because a person has gender disporia does not mean they can't be physco as well...

Jumpy wrote:
    *snigger*

What are you laughing about? Speak for yourself boy.

Are you actually going to contribute anything to this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Thaedydal wrote:
    Rozie I suggest you read the following book tbh

http://www.westegg.com/unmaintained/carnegie/win-friends.html

Cos really you can catch more flies with honey then vingear you just need to find and use your honey pot.

I thought we all had agreed that Mordeth was going to locate her honeypot.

stepbar wrote:
    What are you laughing about? Speak for yourself boy.

Are you actually going to contribute anything to this thread?

Hell no! You do not know me very well.

Jumpy wrote:
    Hell no! You do not know me very well.

Very mature, very mature........ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

stepbar wrote:
    Okay our politicans leave a lot to be desired. But by god its never been a better time to be Irish. We enjoy ourselves and have odd session or two. And so what? Do we want to be like the ****ing Americans whose notion of a good time is going to the drive thru for KFC. We work hard and we play hard, I have no problem with that TBH.
    I disagree. We were doing well economically, but our economy has been destroyed by the property boom. People have money to spend at the moment but their geared to the gills with mortgages and all different kinds of debt that people in other countries would be terrified of.

Sessions do not constitute culture. A society of clinical alcoholics is not something to be proud of. Drinking is the only social life a lot (possibly most) of people have.

You seem to have a strange view of Americans. Like something you saw on tv. My experience of living there is very very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Thaedydal wrote:
    Rozie I suggest you read the following book tbh

http://www.westegg.com/unmaintained/carnegie/win-friends.html

Cos really you can catch more flies with honey then vingear you just need to find and use your honey pot.

Very good advice right there rozie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I read the first post.

me answer is this:
    At least I am secure in myself and as a person to know who I am, without having any issues or complexes, and didnt have to resort to a sex change operation to try and make me feel more fulfilled as a person.
    Not that thats exactly what the OP has done or anything :rolleyes:

my real answer is this:
    Professional therapy, hope it will someday work for you.

stepbar wrote:
    Very mature, very mature........ :rolleyes:

Call me Loki.

Besides, this isnt exactly a serious thread, not anymore. When it r serious thread, then I r serious Jumpy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the_syco wrote:

Damn you, no I'm going to spend hours readign my posts from ages ago that I forgot about.:)

Pff, I dare not go back and read some of the stuff I know I have written in the past.
    It would be soul destroying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Rozie wrote:
    And the students. **** me, the students. You all dress the same, think the same and do pretty much the same.

Is there anything that makes you different?

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I read the first post.

me answer is this:
    At least I am secure in myself and as a person to know who I am, without having any issues or complexes, and didnt have to resort to a sex change operation to try and make me feel more fulfilled as a person.
    Not that thats exactly what the OP has done or anything :rolleyes:

my real answer is this:
    Professional therapy, hope it will someday work for you.

Well this explains why you hate everyone that look the same.

ballooba wrote:
    I disagree. We were doing well economically, but our economy has been destroyed by the property boom. People have money to spend at the moment but their geared to the gills with mortgages and all different kinds of debt that people in other countries would be terrified of.

Our parents were "geared to the gills" in debt, and paid interest of 18% at one stage long before the Celtic Tiger came along. My problem with the property boom is the way in which greedy landlords were allowed to drive up the prices of housing. I know 2 chaps who own 18 properties between them, all rented out. Nobody should be allowed to accumulate so many properties without being taxed accordingly.
    Sessions do not constitute culture. A society of clinical alcoholics is not something to be proud of. Drinking is the only social life a lot (possibly most) of people have.

I agree, however there's plenty to do if you have the time or inclination to do so. We have lots of theatres, cinemas, museams, shops etc. People need to enjoy themselves. It would be a pretty boring life if you werent able to travel or drink a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Spankeh wrote:

Cruel but this is the best post I have every seen on boards. Absolute comedy genius.

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote:
    Call me Loki.

I'd like to call you a few other things TBH....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Me seems to think that the OP just needs a good stiff one.
    I think the OP is pissed because they can't get rid of their stiff one :D

Lol Rozie, the crap you come out with is always worth the read.

A+

stepbar wrote:
    Our parents were "geared to the gills" in debt, and paid interest of 18% at one stage long before the Celtic Tiger came along. My problem with the property boom is the way in which greedy landlords were allowed to drive up the prices of housing. I know 2 chaps who own 18 properties between them, all rented out. Nobody should be allowed to accumulate so many properties without being taxed accordingly.
    The level of gearing we are experiencing at the moment is unprecedented. Youcan't have an economy based on an internal property market. It's not sustainable and it's not healthy. The property boom has done untold damage to our competitiveness and contributed to the loss of our culture.
    stepbar wrote:
    I agree, however there's plenty to do if you have the time or inclination to do so. We have lots of theatres, cinemas, museams, shops etc. People need to enjoy themselves. It would be a pretty boring life if you werent able to travel or drink a bit.
    People don't. That's the problem. Ask someone in work tomorrow what they did for the weekend. The majority of the 18 to 30s will say they got locked. It's a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I agree with some, but not all, of what the OP wrote.

But I do like the cut of her jib :D

"drink a bit" is a far cry from alcoholism btw. Other countries have figured this out, we haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Go to another country and you will find they have their problems too. Or, why not stay here and fight the problems that you are telling us to?

• Advertisement

Rozie wrote:
    Colleges are high pressure and have poor social scenes, they're not like real universities at all.

'Course they aren't, Rozie, sure isn't the grass always greener on the other side?
    You're dillusional, go seek professional help. Preferably outside this country as you hate it so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

rb_ie wrote:
    'Course they aren't, Rozie, sure isn't the grass always greener on the other side?
    You're dillusional, go seek professional help. Preferably outside this country as you hate it so much.

She, maybe he, is spot on. the level of individuality in irish colleges is depressing. if people do anything remotely different it's to seek attention and it's not original just new to their little group. I'm going wandering asap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

ballooba wrote:
    The property boom has done untold damage to our competitiveness and contributed to the loss of our culture.

lol, did you really write that or was it a big mistake

humbert wrote:
    She, maybe he, is spot on. the level of individuality in irish colleges is depressing. if people do anything remotely different it's to seek attention and it's not original just new to their little group. I'm going wandering asap too.
    It was quite funny when we talked about this at lunch one day in DIT. I said that we were all typical students, a few protested. I then pointed out that every single person at the table was wearig hoodies, jeans and runners. They stopped protesting.

MooseJam wrote:
    lol, did you really write that or was it a big mistake
    Yes, and I believe it.

• Advertisement

humbert wrote:
    Pre-Op so "he".

It's not just Irish colleges that are like that, every college/uni in the states/australia/etc is going to have the same groups/cliques, have those who look down on others because of their "originaltiy" etc, have those that dress similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

great thread

ballooba wrote:
    Yes, and I believe it.

dude don't worry, we still have our culture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

rb_ie wrote:
    Pre-Op so "he".

It's not just Irish colleges that are like that, every college/uni in the states/australia/etc is going to have the same groups/cliques, have those who look down on others because of their "originaltiy" etc, have those that dress similar.

Oh dear god, are you 15? lets call the OPs gender into question. If people in Ireland had the confidence/maturity to look at things/Ireland/life and decide for themselves what they agreed with or disagreed with or what sort of person they wanted to be there would be a lot more individuality than there is. people just behave like their peers or try to emulate their same demographic a few years ahead of them.

MooseJam wrote:
    dude don't worry, we still have our culture
    Culture is not something you posess. It's something you are. Everyone has culture, ours has changed for the worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I agree with a lot of what you have said, but there are a few exceptions:
    Irish people look boring.
    I disagree. You only think this because this is the norm that you see. If we all dressed in electric pink leotards, you'd think that was boring too.

I intend to leave Ireland also, but after I've received my college education, which you must admit is a great system. It is selfish of me (and you for that matter) to use this free education and ditch the country. Think about it, all the taxes you have paid versus the cost of providing your education to the government (along with subsidies on the public transport you no doubt use). We're raping the country.

Ireland may suck in many ways, but our education system is not one of them.

ballooba wrote:
    Culture is not something you posess. It's something you are. Everyone has culture, ours has changed for the worse.

I'm just curious but how do you think the property boom has contributed to the loss of our culture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

this thread is starting to get too serious and all debating on us people!

It's a good idea to travel and experience other countries so that you can form an enlightened perspective and avoid silly stereotyped images like the on above about Americans and KFC. This country isn't all bad, but some of us don't want to be mediocre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

REally ?
    So you don't think that the lack of sexual health education is not away in which our education system is stuck ?

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote:
    I'm just curious but how do you think the property boom has contributed to the loss of our culture
    People have too much money and nothing to spend it on. People get married later because they can't afford a home. They take on mortgages later because they can't afford them when they are younger. Young people have a high level of disposable income because they don't have to pay mortgages. Instead of spending this disposable income on interests it is spent on alcohol. Women starts families later and combined with the amount they drink have a hgher chance of not being able to conceive or their children having birth defects.

Our high levels of disposable income contribute to it, our nations messed up relationship with alcohol does the rest.

humbert wrote:
    Oh dear god, are you 15?

No, do you want me to be?

ballooba wrote:
    People have too much money and nothing to spend it on. People get married later because they can't afford a home. They take on mortgages later because they can't afford them when they are younger. Young people have a high level of disposable income because they don't have to pay mortgages. Instead of spending this disposable income on interests it is spent on alcohol. Women starts families later and combined with the amount they drink have a hgher chance of not being able to conceive or their children having birth defects.

Our high levels of disposable income contribute to it, our nations messed up relationship with alcohol does the rest.

not bad actually, some good points :cool:

rb_ie wrote:
    No, do you want me to be?
    This is a family friendly forum.
    MooseJam wrote:
    not bad actually, some good points :cool:
    Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

can't help think the OP outlook on the world (and this country) is what s/he has seen on TV.

from the sounds of it, you have had a bad week.
    i'd guess, you done your final exams and you know you done sh1t.
    you wont get the job your looking for cause all the other boring students worked so much harder and will do better.
    you now want to leave all your failure behind, and move to TV land, were it never rains, students are so cool and dress different, the government come to your house every Monday morning and ask how you would like the country run this week.

and if the OP is Female,
    you have either been dumped or have been knocked back recently.

after reading the original post i really felt you should have ended it by saying
    and for all you ****ers who argue with my logic of the state of this ****ing whore bag of a country.
    TALK TO THE HAND

that would have confirmed everything

ballooba wrote:
    It's a good idea to travel and experience other countries so that you can form an enlightened perspective and avoid silly stereotyped images like the on above about Americans and KFC. This country isn't all bad, but some of us don't want to be mediocre.

Wouldn't read too much into the KFC stereotype, how in ever Americans are not the most interesting of races (IMO).

I dont see how taking time out travelling would make you anymore of a better / intelligent person TBH.

"some of us don't want to be mediocre" - I mean what kind of a statement is that supposed to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Some fair points.
    Students sucking on the activism front, people voting in the same government.
    Nothing wrong with a rant the odd time, stirs a bit of debate.
    Yeah, we are **** on the people power front in comparison to other european countries etc..
    Not knowing the OP at all I do see the irony in what she said about Irish people on the internet etc, considering the responses on this thread. :)

stepbar wrote:
    Wouldn't read too much into the KFC stereotype, how in ever Americans are not the most interesting of races (IMO).

I dont see how taking time out travelling would make you anymore of a better person TBH.
    You don't have to agree with me. Experiencing diverse cultures gives you a better perspective on who you are yourself (in terms of culture). It makes you appreciate things that you like about home and to recognise the things you don't.
    stepbar wrote:
    "some of us don't want to be mediocre" - I mean what kind of a statement is that supposed to be?
    People accept the failings of our society because they say it's the best one we have. They don't seem to want to improve. We should be more ambitious as a society. People seem to think you should be embarassed for trying to do something, especially if you take an interest in politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Rozie wrote:
    What the **** happened to students being the bohemian force of cultural forwarding?

Buh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah hah hah ahahhahahahahahahahahahhaaaah good one :D

Did this dream happen during a glue break or perhaps a chowder-marathon induced hallucination? Magic comedy right there :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

You know it kinda reminds me of what they say about democracy, being it's the worst form of government except for all the others that have been tried. I've been to a lot of countries and I quickly realised that the grass isn't greener. Maybe in some areas it is but on the whole it isn't. There are things about this country that need fixing but with the amount of debt people are in with their homes they are afraid to change anything. I was initially surprised that Fianna Fail got re-elected but when I think about why people are afraid of change I can clearly see why. I love this country, it's by no means perfect but it's the best of all the ones I've tried and besides its home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement