Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**** you, Ireland.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

People everywhere are afraid of change. It's nothing new and it's not Irish. People are afraid of change because it disrupts routines. Routines are a mechanism for dealing with complexity. If you disrupt them there is great deal of anxiety associated with dealing with the added complexity.

People will end up with negative equity with or without FF. Without FF it's debatable if they would have ended up in that situation at all. Realistically though there is no political leadership anymore. Politicians tell people what they want to hear. As a Fine Gael meber that's not something that I would be expected to say, but I'm being honest. No politician has the courage to try and change things. Their Dail salaries are too geneorus to risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ballooba wrote:
    You don't have to agree with me. Experiencing diverse cultures gives you a better perspective on who you are yourself (in terms of culture). It makes you appreciate things that you like about home and to recognise the things you don't.

That is true, however it doesnt take a year in Australia to figure that one out.
    People accept the failings of our society because they say it's the best one we have. They don't seem to want to improve. We should be more ambitious as a society. People seem to think you should be embarassed for trying to do something, especially if you take an interest in politics.

They? There are people in this country who, no matter what, are happy with the way they live. They are content. However, I disagree with the statement that we aren't ambitious as a society. As a society we have come leaps and bounds from the dark days of the 80's. We have a high level of entrapreneurship and as hard as it sounds, we are quite a generous nation. I remember when the tsunami hit Indonesia a few years ago, people going round houses, pubs etc collecting money. We give a high level of our GDP to developing countries (not as much as Bertie promised), but still a good deal more than other developed countries. Many of our citizens go out to underdeveloped countries to help the needy. To say that we aren't ambitious is not really true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

no suggestion of a country we should be more like then?

what was said by the OP pretty much applies to every country in some way or another.

boooooooooooooooooooring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

mloc wrote:
    no suggestion of a country we should be more like then?

what was said by the OP pretty much applies to every country in some way or another.

boooooooooooooooooooring

haha, it's all fine because there are others like us. classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

stepbar wrote:
    There are people in this country who, no matter what, are happy with the way they live. They are content.
    It's easy to just accept the things that are wrong. If they're happy then I'm happy for them. I'm happy in general with my life too. I think that things could be a lot better though.
    stepbar wrote:
    However, I disagree with the statement that we aren't ambitious as a society. As a society we have come leaps and bounds from the dark days of the 80's.
    I was quite young in the 80's but the only thing that has changed is that people have more money in their pockets. People had to emigrate back then, some came back and brought their experiences with them. As the rap songs tell us, more money = more problems.
    stepbar wrote:
    We have a high level of entrapreneurship and as hard as it sounds, we are quite a generous nation.
    We have very low levels of entrepreneurship compared to other countries actually. The property boom has done serious damage to this.
    stepbar wrote:
    I remember when the tsunami hit Indonesia a few years ago, people going round houses, pubs etc collecting money. We give a high level of our GDP to developing countries (not as much as Bertie promised), but still a good deal more than other developed countries. Many of our citizens go out to underdeveloped countries to help the needy. To say that we aren't ambitious is not really true.
    Giving to less developed countries isn't an indication of ambition. Also, we have done very well on foreign money i.e. EU money. How much of that foreign aid we give away is financed by personal debt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

humbert wrote:
    haha, it's all fine because there are others like us. classic.

The rant was directed at Ireland, not at the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

I'm outta here aswell, as soon as I can, gone, wont look back... This place just isn't for me, maybe I'll come back in the future and make an attempt at change, a bit of healthy activism wouldn't go astray.......though, 'the revolution will not be televised' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Interesting post. Reminds me of Dave Couse lyrics.

I have to question how you get your perspective OP. What do you really know about further fields and their greener grass to be able to say that Ireland or Irish people are lesser in any way? A long weekend on Paris or a holiday in California doesn't cut it. What you read or watch on TV can't give you what you need.

You sound young. You sound naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Rozie wrote:
    All you do is walk around in your jeans and pastel coloured shirts and hoodies obsessing over a career that will never make you feel truly fulfilled, drinking and patting yourself on the back for ANY level of activism at all you engage in, no matter how meager.

Ha, that's me in a nutshell. Didn't read the rest of your post though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭iwincosimcool

Everywere else is great..........Irelands ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Go **** yerself rozie.

My 2 cents on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭iwincosimcool

Go **** yerself rozie.

My 2 cents on the matter.

i agree:)

Serioulsy though, I havent read most of the thread , but If you hate Ireland you have two choices
    1. try to get into politics
    2. leave the country

whining like a spoilt little kid on an Internet site isnt gonna change anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

hahaha! what a rant. it'll all be over soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

My life is absolutely great.
    There's not much at all that I would change.

Yeah I didn't vote for FF and they got back into power but eh I couldn't really give a ****.
    If we go into recession I will still have the people around me that I do at the moment so I won't really give a ****.
    All you need to be happy is people you care about and food and water.

You might describe me as blissfully ignorant whereas I would describe myself as blissful.

Hate to be you Rozie.

Off to the pharmacy for your lithium like a good girl.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Looks like someone needs a hug, some ice cream, and a big pile of puppies and kittens. Like a previous poster, I'd love to hear what set you off. Considering it was after 11 on a sunday night, I'm thinking the local kebab shop was closed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Why can't we all look different? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Jumpy wrote:
    Actually, he is not only right, but he was being damn nice about it.

Ireland, the country that doesnt learn from other peoples mistakes, they have to make all their own. ...

Totally agree with this and the OP. I hate Irish society - its greedy consumersim on one hand and it's sanctimonious judgementalism on the other.

Good luck to anyone in a position to leave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Rozie wrote:
    What the **** happened to students being the bohemian force of cultural forwarding?

Ireland never had the counter cultrue of the late 60s and early 70s due to the strangle hold of the church here so we never had the hippy idealism of we can all change the world man !

Not that did much for america tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

MarkR wrote:
    Looks like someone needs a hug, some ice cream, and a big pile of puppies and kittens. Like a previous poster, I'd love to hear what set you off. Considering it was after 11 on a sunday night, I'm thinking the local kebab shop was closed?

An old chestnuts tbh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055108141

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

drop out of college if you're so set on leaving - mooching our free education and feckin off is tantamount to stealing :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Totally agree with this and the OP. I hate Irish society - its greedy consumersim on one hand and it's sanctimonious judgementalism on the other.

Good luck to anyone in a position to leave!

Puts one in mind of the New Zealand joke; New Zealand has a population of 20 million and 6 of them are people...

Vote FF for a dolly mixture government of failed idealist Greens, bankrupt expelled FF party members, a PD couple (formerly party) and clown politiucian from Kerry brokering secret deals which the taxpayer is paying for. All this because they are "the best of a bad lot".

Says something for the national IQ average.:D

Not forgetting this latest "World Class" effort by courtesy of Ms Harney and the HSE.:mad:

Apologies for the ultra fast BB rendering of the article.

Wossack wrote:
    drop out of college if you're so set on leaving - mooching our free education and feckin off is tantamount to stealing :p
    One might assume that one is a taxpayer by the comment. Or a student by the attitude.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Heinrich wrote:
    One might assume that one is a taxpayer by the comment. Or a student by the attitude.:p

currently in the transitionary period between both of them, does it show? :D

Wossack wrote:
    currently in the transitionary period between both of them, does it show? :D

Glaringly!

Thankfully there will be at least one non-moocher coming into the workforce shortly. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Leaving this thread open will only contribute to Ireland's suicide rate. Thread closed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dictaktor.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

You knows it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement