Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can;t get gmail with IBB

Options
  • 17-06-2007 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I can't sign in to my Gmail account for the last week. I'm fairly sure its a IBB issue because I have tried it on 3 different computers at home PC and mac, and on numerous browsers. I have also tried on other peoples different ISP computers and experienced no problems.

I'm in clonsilla, can anyone shed any light on the issue?

Paul

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Their mtu's are all over the place. I found that one of ibb's routers doesnt like a 1500mtu when sending mail thru hosting365.. even though I can use a 1500mtu when using ibb's smtp server. Settled for a lower setting and all is working fine. Would be handy if they told you that you have to set the mtu to 1460!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Thanks For the help,

I couldn't press the search buttons either so I do appreciate you providing the link. I worked fine on the mac, I was able to get instructions easy enough with a Google search. It has been unsuccessful on the PC however. I got instructions here.....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826159

the only instruction I wasn't able to fully follow was on point 7, I had to press enter, there is no ok button. I presumed it was a typing mistake.

I'm pretty sure I have a PPP network from what I did on the mac but I tried changing it for a VPN too.

Thanks for the help guys.

Paul

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Anybody still having this problem. I had it last week with eBay. I changed my MTU to 1460. Worked straight away. Today though the problem is back. I can't get into eBay or Yahoo mail. Every other site is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Grrrr,

I'm still having this problem. I had changed the MTU on the PC and mac and it worked on the mac for a while. But then it stopped again so I rang up IBB. They said they had had a problem in Tallaght that affected Clonsilla but it was resolved, so everything should be grand.

After doing a few things to find out the problem I found connecting directly into the IDU allowed me to access my gmail no problem. Which meant that a router that worked fine up till a few days ago was now the problem. I don't know why it should suddenly become a problem but it seems to be the issue. The guy in IBB said I should change the MTU to 1452 if the normal isn't working. The problem is that the router doesn't allow me to change the MTU when its set to static IP address. PPPoE, PPTP and L2TP all alow changes but IBB only use static IP.

Can anyone help please, its really annoying not being able to get into my email, and there’s a few people living here who are looking to me to sort it out. Even though it’s not my fault I feel responsible.

Thanks,
    Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bubblehead

Had this issue last week. Couldn't get on to yahoo or E-bay or many other sites, but could in friends house who had Eircom. Was also loosing service totally at times.
    I rang tech support to question if it was a dns issue. They blamed it on my router and suggested connecting direct to my pc, which didn't resolve the issue.
    They then suggested that it was a heavy traffic issue with yahoo etc.. which didn't seem quite likely with me.
    I decided to try different dns servers, and looked up the well known public open dns servers at 4.2.2.* where * is a number between 1 and 6.
    This sorted out all the issues and the connection has been working quickly and reliably since then.
    You would want to ping each of these servers to find which is the fastest for you.
    I did contact tech support to inform them of this. They repilied on the 21st of this month, saying that they had had hardware routing problems, the equipment was now replaced, and everything was now working.
    But do you believe them considering the date of atilladehun's last posting ???

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

bubblehead wrote:
    I rang tech support to question if it was a dns issue. They blamed it on my router and suggested connecting direct to my pc, which didn't resolve the issue.
    I've seen DNS issues too & was going to start using the free DNS services, problem went away, then came back, went away again.
    Intermittent DNS is inexcusable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago with eBay and Yahoo. Changing the MTU settings on my PC fixed that.

Buuuut last night I was trying my Xbox360 (haven't tried it online for months). Guess what it's failing on? MTU. There's no option on the 360 or my router to change MTU settings. Anybody on IBB having issues with their 360s?

Advertisement