Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler Capacity

Options
  • 17-06-2007 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Where a boiler has a capacity of 120,000 BTU's (Warmflow Bluebird 90/120) is it vital that the total radiator,hot water and heatloss BTU's do not exceed this? In my case I am upgrading the radiators and the system will have the following requirements when completed:

Radiators 86,000
    Hot water 30,000
    Pipework 11,600 (10%)

Total 127,600

I appreciate that this exceeds the boiler capacity by 7,600 BTU's but the heating system has three zones - ground floor radiators, first floor radiators and hot water - and it would be rare, if ever, that all three zones would be on simultaneously. Therefore, the total BTU requirement would not be needed.

Obviously I don't want to buy a new boiler if I don't have to. Any comments would be helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Flowrate has to be calculated aswell ,restriction has to be accounted for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nick Lawson

Thanks - could you explain this please.

I'm about to go to bed ,but really you should have a greater output than you need.
    Certain pipe diameter's can only carry certain btu's ,so regardless of what size boiler you have ,if the pipework is too small ,nothing will heat.

Elbows should never be used unless completely necessary ,bending pipe is important.

I'm sorry if this seems rude ,but I'm wrecked . hope this clears it up a little.:)

Laters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I'm not great on figures, but from my experience, that boiler will easily give the heat you require.

Run the boiler when the system is finished. If the boiler runs continuously without cutting out, (never reaches the set temp) then you have a problem - but I doubt very much if this will happen.
    Jim.
    Just re-reading Brian's post. Even if the boiler can handle it, if the run of pipes is too long and the system is not balanced properly, you may have trouble getting some rads to heat.

What type of house have you got by the way ?

I'm presuming you know for sure ,what your heat requirements are.?

• Advertisement
Advertisement