Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hidden speed limits

Options
  • 17-06-2007 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Was driving to Galway from Sligo today and drove through Milltown. On the southern side of the town the first 100kmph sign was covered with black tape and a 50kmph sign (about 3' x 3') was propped up beneath it. Just after it there is a primary school so I thought, fair enough, they're changing the limit for the school but they haven't put up the new sign yet, no biggy. However, the next 3 speed limit signs (those little reminder ones) were also blacked out, with no other sign to replace them.

That brought me a couple of km past the town I think, in a completely pointless, not properly signed 50km zone. At this stage I'd ten or more cars backed up behind me and getting pretty pissed. The fourth mini sign I passed wasn't covered so it was showing the expected 100kmph. But there was no actual "change of speed limit" sign.

On the way back I was still, I think, a few km outside the town when one of the small 100km signs was blocked out with a 50km propped up underneath.

Has anyone else seen this (there or elsewhere)? I'm only driving a little while so for all I know this is normal behaviour when speed limits are being adjusted but I for one found it damned confusing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Forgive me if I misunderstood - a 100 sign was blacked out with a 50 sign under it. You went 50. You drove through the town and shortly outside of it there was a 100 sign. A couple of speed limit signs were blacked out in between.

I don't see the problem? There doesn't seem to be any confusion here in terms of the speed limits? it was clearly posted for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sounds flaky to me. Maybe someone locally decided to tamper with the signs? Surely the council could not be short of the proper signs and would just have replaced the 100kph signs if a lower speed limit was to be imposed.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cappo

In the past few weeks there has been roadworks and hedge cutting on the N17 at Milltown - but the limits posted are very confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

A lot of the time as well it's very hard to know what the limit on a road is anyway (especially if you join it halfway up from a junction say). Temporary works-related limits are another problem as they can be in place anywhere up to a month before/after the works take place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I guess you could give the council a call and see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Blanchardstown area is great for the hidden speed limits. Half the time, it's anyone's guess what the current speed limit for the road is (they vary between 50kph limits and 60kph limits).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

And that's to ignore the signs concealed by trees and bushes :mad:

Advertisement