Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

using skype/voip with three usb modem

• 17-06-2007 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

hi.
    can i use skype voip with the three usb modem.
    i asked in-store in the cfw and they assured me you could.
    this sounds great but suspiciously too good to be true.
    so anyone else doing this.

also regarding three's mobile bb for handsets: would it be possible to use a non-three phone (with the mobile bb add-on) as a modem with a laptop for 19.99 a month.
    i see people are using the n95 (a non-three phone) as a modem with the mobile bb add-on for 19.99. so would it be possible generally do you know.

the reason i ask is that instead of getting the standalone three usb modem i was wondering could i just get a 3g handset (with mobile bb add-on) to cover laptop as well.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

it will work but only on bill pay so it'd be €19.99 for the "unlimited" data add-on which is really 2GB plus a minimum of €19 for 100 minutes

about skype, i wouldn't say so. i know someone who couldn't get it to work and returned it in the end but that could have been a one off. i'll get my mate to try it out now. hold please......your call is important to us etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Skype works on the 3 USB modem. Just tested it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ciaranfo wrote:
    Skype works on the 3 USB modem. Just tested it.
    what a coincidence that you happened to be testing to it your friend at the exact same moment as i was testing to to mine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Bet your mate doesn't talk ****e half the time though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

thanks.
    still trying to figure out what the other exchange in the last couple of posts was about tbh :)

yeah voip over usb modem could definitely save me a few quid and reduce my mobile bill.. if it works.

fixed AND mobile voice/broadband for under 50 euro might then be feasible somehow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

mkennedy wrote:
    hi.
    can i use skype voip with the three usb modem.
    i asked in-store in the cfw and they assured me you could.
    this sounds great but suspiciously too good to be true.
    so anyone else doing this.

s

Absolutely: have done it many times.

mkennedy wrote:
    hi.

also regarding three's mobile bb for handsets: would it be possible to use a non-three phone (with the mobile bb add-on) as a modem with a laptop for 19.99 a month.
    i see people are using the n95 (a non-three phone) as a modem with the mobile bb add-on for 19.99. so would it be possible generally do you know.

the reason i ask is that instead of getting the standalone three usb modem i was wondering could i just get a 3g handset (with mobile bb add-on) to cover laptop as well.
    thanks

Yes. Not as reliable as the USB modem.

mkennedy wrote:
    thanks.
    still trying to figure out what the other exchange in the last couple of posts was about tbh :)

yeah voip over usb modem could definitely save me a few quid and reduce my mobile bill.. if it works.

fixed AND mobile voice/broadband for under 50 euro might then be feasible somehow...

I have even done videochat on iChat to Japan *on a train* using 3/USB modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Can anyone with the 3 usb modem tell me if they can take the sim out of it?? If so can they stick it in a phone n use it for data, ie. surf the net, emails etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

unklerosco wrote:
    Can anyone with the 3 usb modem tell me if they can take the sim out of it?? If so can they stick it in a phone n use it for data, ie. surf the net, emails etc...

a) you can take the sim out as you have to plug it in first
    b) done that with a three 3G phone. surfing (WAP) works but no calls possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Skype works perfectly with Three. Been testing the service for the past month and am very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

a) you can take the sim out as you have to plug it in first
    b) done that with a three 3G phone. surfing (WAP) works but no calls possible

Cheers...

unklerosco wrote:

Absolutely no problem.....

Advertisement