Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YouTube delay uploading video (150 kbps)

Options
  • 17-06-2007 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

Just recently returned home to Ireland for the summer. I just subscribed to Eircom 2MB wireless broadband. It's very good.

However, i've tried uploading an 80MB video to 'YouTube' a few times now but it's taking ages. The longest i've left it uploading is one whole hour!....without success. In korea it used to only take a few minutes. My upload speed here with Eircom is about 150kbps.

If my maths are correct, it should take about 10 seconds to upload 1MB at my speed? Thats only 800 seconds for the whole 80MB video. Thats only 10 to 15 minutes. Why didn't it work after an hour?

p.s. I hit CTRL + ALT + DEL to open my task manager. As it was uploading the Performance chart showed only a few peaks of CPU activity, followed by long periods of very low CPU activity. Can i infer that it wasnt uploading properly?

Should i disconnect the wireless, and try an ethernet cable instead? How long does it usually take for you to upload your Videos at your speeds?

merci

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

150kbps = 19KB/sec
    1MB = 1024KB
    1MB = 54 s
    80MB = 72 minutes

sounds about right

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

2mb DSL has an upload speed of 128kb/s
    80MBytes = 640000kbits
    640000 / 128 = 5000seconds = 83.33 minutes

you won't get the full 128kb/s so I'd expect it to take at least 1hr 30mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

My maths was obviously incorrect. I'll give it another shot then. Thank you for your clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Tried it again. It uploaded successfully after about an hour and a quarter (roughly). So thank you.

Just wanted to close off this thread. Merci.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Would the sheer volume of videos being uploaded to youtube also contribute to the slowness of uploads generally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement