Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Parakeet flew into my house

Options
  • 18-06-2007 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Long shot but anyone missing a parakeet, one flew into my house today :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Might be an idea to say where your house is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

And describe the bird, and how long it has been without food/water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

house is in ballinteer, the owners will be able to discribe it to me, just in case someone tries to falsely claim it

They aren't exactly worth a fortune, and it's pretty hard to tell one apart from the other unless they are ringed. The only reason I wanted to hear a description was to find out what kind of parakeet it is. I dont think you will be inundated with calls to be honest, but hopefully the owner will come forward. Is it tame at all ? it could be an aviary bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Put up posters in your area & owners may call you!

I have taken in a few birds that have been caught in the Dublin area & can take this bird if the owner is not located.

• Advertisement

tallus wrote:
    They aren't exactly worth a fortune, and it's pretty hard to tell one apart from the other unless they are ringed. The only reason I wanted to hear a description was to find out what kind of parakeet it is. I dont think you will be inundated with calls to be honest, but hopefully the owner will come forward. Is it tame at all ? it could be an aviary bird.

i guess your right :), he/she is green all over with an orange face

Bond-007 wrote:
    Put up posters in your area & owners may call you!

I have taken in a few birds that have been caught in the Dublin area & can take this bird if the owner is not located.

thats very kind of you to offer but it looks like if no one claims it my sis wants to keep it

MooseJam wrote:
    i guess your right :), he/she is green all over with an orange face
    At a glance, sounds like an indian ringneck or a conure of some sort. If so it might be worth something, especially if it's tame. Hard to tell without photographic evidence tho. Is the tail short or long ? Short tail could be a Senegal Parrot, the adults have yellow irises. Nice birds but a bit shrill at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Texas

It's not a senegal.... they're green with a grey head and orange/yellow chest. I know because mine is trying to kill the mouse beside me right now :)

Could be a lovebird too.... what kind of size is it?

My bad, you're correct Texas :) I was looking out for one of late, but hand reared Senegals seem to be very hard to come by. Lovely birds tho, very affectionate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Could it be a love bird of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Post a piccy of it, that way people can advise on how best to house and feed it etc

Advertisement