Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista: graphics card driver problems (ati radeon xpress/dell inspiron 1501)

• 18-06-2007 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Upgraded to vista at the weekend. Took hours.
    The wizard failed ona couple of tasks: Upgrading the bios and installing the new driver for the graphics card. I upgraded the bios manually, and that worked fine. However the graphics card driver is causing problems.

The graphics card is ati radeon xpress 1150. It crashed once out of about 3 boots saying there was a problem with the driver (The installer had said it hadn't installed properly so this wasn't surprising). I donwloaded and installed the newer driver from the atapi website, for the 32-bit version of vista, which is whta I have.
    When I rebooted the computer went to a flickering blue and white screen. Tried a few times and the same reslut. I booted into safe mode and disabled the graphics card driver. Now it boots fine but comes up with the occasional message about the driver.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Anyone upgraded a machine with this graphics card?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Hmm not sure I have the same machine but I clean installed Vista on it still the upgrade doesn't port drivers over or at least it shouldn't.

From the AMD/ATI site did you download the normal ATI Catalyst driver ?

This is the driver to correctly use, so download that along with the southbridge driver further down the page and install both.

With those downloaded don't install just yet but run system restore and go back to the point before you installed the display driver you downloaded (it will have automatically created the point), then try the ones above after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Thanks for your response.
    I downloaded the drivers from this link:

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista32/common-vista32.html

After installing the first one the pc wouldn't boot. I'll try installing the drivers from the link you posted, but the first one appears to be the same, so I'm not too hopeful :/

Its seems to be working ok now, although I'm not sure both drivers are installed or what.
    Tried installing them. It crashed on restart. Uninstalled them. It installed them auitomatically on startup. Crashed on restart. Uninstalled them. Installed them automatically on restart....

Then it started up ok! And even let me watch a dvd.
    Odd.

Very odd something must be wrong as the CCC installer should not be crashing like that, you run the installer once it installs the driver & after one reboot your done.

Something might be running in the background that was brought over from XP that is conflicting perhaps it is hard to say.

In the control panel\administrative tools\event viewer it records all the system errors if you really want to find out what is going on that's the place to look.

Well I kept getting messages saying the catalyst cotrol centre would not run with the installed driver and to update it. So...stupidly I tried to do this. This time I downloaded the version of the driver on the dell website.
    Closed all processes I could and ran the install. Same problem as before - flickering bluescreen on startup

• Advertisement

The ATI CCC installer extracts to a folder you can make the update driver wizard look in the location to reinstall the driver if need be.

Did the event viewer log anything of interest under errors ?

Try system restore and go back to a point before you installed all these various drivers, then uninstall any Dell utilities/software and then just use the ATI driver I linked to.

Advertisement