Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus Interior Too Bright.

Options
  • 18-06-2007 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hoping to buy a Ford Focus today, but I'm not happy with the interior. It spotless and has a lot of work put into it, but it's bright red, all colour coded and while it looks great, it would just be more suited to a young male, rather than myself, a young mother with a messy baby! :rolleyes:

My question is, do you think it would be hard to restore it to a more basic look. He has red sports seats installed, and I would gladly swap them for free for a set of original seats. There is also a lot of other little accessories that I would swap, like gear knob, and some of the air vent covers. He's colour coded the head liner red, and the door inlays so I'd probably keep them, but overall it's just a little too much red for me.

Do you think it would be a hard job to tone it down? I dont want to have to spend much money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There are thousands of Focus' for sale ...just buy a different one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

This car is in perfect condition and the price is right for what I want, it also has very low milage, I also have my own reasons for buying this specific car.

Also, not to be rude, but I just asked a simple question about changing the interior of a car, didn't ask for a smart remark, and especially didn't expect one from a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Shelli wrote:
    didn't ask for a smart remark, and especially didn't expect one from a mod.

I know its none of my business but that looks to me like sound advice, not a smart remark. While it may not be the solution you were looking for I think it harsh calling it a 'smart remark'.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Maybe ask him where he got the colour coding done and ask them to re-code it to the original?

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mc23

unpimp my ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd agree with Peasant - buy a different one, they're not exactly rare. Do you really want to go pulling the interior apart, its a very fiddly and time consuming job, not to mention the high possibility that the car is already infested with rattles due to the current owner doing likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think reading between the lines the OP is connected in some way to the vendor of the car, e.g. the OPs brother/partner or something.

Just as a response to your question it is possible to get everything transferred back out but you may end up spending more money by doing this.
    You could ask what the vendor did with the original seats & gear knob etc. I suspect the vendor has painted up some of the original fittings to get that red finish. You could ask them to paint them black?

Not to sound like I'm putting the car down but it's obviously not the type of thing you're after. You will always find another low mileage Focus available with the right interior. There owuld be less hassle & cost for you than there would be in "fixing" the modded one.

As a last suggestion maybe try get someone on the modified motors board to do the swap you are looking for, maybe ther is someone there with a Focus they want to modify....

Things like the gear knob and the seats could possibly be exchanged with someone who wants them and has the originals ...you might even get some money on top. (You'll have to find that person first, though)

But air vents and dashboard parts?
    You'd either have to buy new bits from Ford or find a crashed car somewhere and take it out of there .

A lot of work and a lot of hassle ...and possibly not cheap either.

My advice still stands ...get one that you really like, interior and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Shelli wrote:
    Also, not to be rude, but I just asked a simple question about changing the interior of a car, didn't ask for a smart remark, and especially didn't expect one from a mod.

Actually I think it's rude to get on your high horse about well intentioned (and very sound!) advice.

Re-inventing the wheel by de-pimping the interior when Focus are ten-a-penny is a bit illogical unless your 'own reasons for buying this specific car' are VERY compelling...

I probably should have explained myself a bit better, I'm getting this car very cheap as a semi-present from a relative.

I apologise to Peasant if I caused offence, but I just wanted a straight forward answer about changinf the interior, as if it was too much hassle I would turn down the car.

I wouldn't want to get rid of all the colour coded stuff, just tone it down a little. The seats being the main thing as I have to have baby seat installed. I would take out as much as possible, but only the straight forward things, like gear knob or steering wheel. I just want to tone it down slightly, not put it back to original state.

Again, apologies if I came across rude or caused any offence.

• Advertisement

If it's too good a deal to say no, then get it.

Get in touch with the modifying crowd and advertise the easily exchangable bits for a straight swap on the proviso that they help you change them.

might just work ...

or just get very dark sun glasses:D ...see , that's a smart remark :D:D:D

Thanks Peasant, thats the kind of advice I was looking for! :D

I actually have a guy who'd change them over for me for free if I found someone who wanted to swap. Reputable guy, owns a creash repairs garage, knows what he's doing. Would just need to get the parts....in fact, thinking about it he may even know someone who'd want them.

But if he didnt, do you reckon there would be much demand for them? I'd really need the seats changed ASAP, as I said, have to get baby seat fitted. I wouldn't even ask for money, maybe just that the person swapping would throw my mate a few bob for doing the change-over.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could also try getting the parts from a crashed Focus in a scrap yard. Doubt they would cost an arm and a leg either.

You could also try eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Shelli wrote:
    I wouldn't want to get rid of all the colour coded stuff, just tone it down a little. The seats being the main thing as I have to have baby seat installed.

Don't forget you can't turn off the front passenger airbag so baby seat will have to go in back.

Good luck.

Why can't you have airbag turned off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Have ye got a pic of these seats by any chance, if there red recaros or anything along those lines im sure someone would take the hand off ye for them and you'll have no problem getting them to pay the mechanic for the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How about just getting a set of good-quality fitted seat covers in a more muted colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

colly10 wrote:
    Have ye got a pic of these seats by any chance, if there red recaros or anything along those lines im sure someone would take the hand off ye for them and you'll have no problem getting them to pay the mechanic for the work.

yeh any pics of the seats? if there a proper job and not the usual scrap thats put into cars by "boy racers" then i might be interested in a swap for my standard seats...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Shelli wrote:
    Why can't you have airbag turned off?

The front passenger air bag on the MkI Focus cannot be turned off via a button or switch afaik. It needs to be taken to a dealer where it is deactivated via the car's computer. Many garages are very apprehensive about disabling safetly devices and may not touch it. Your insurance company will also need to be notified and they may require an engineer's report from the dealer stating that the device was deactivated as per the manufacturer's instructions.

Alot of hassel, much easier and safer to fit the baby chair in the rear of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

• Advertisement

Nope, not it, but very similar. Not as much red in dashboard ans seats are different I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that'd hurt my eyes!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Grim that. Has the steering wheel airbag been removed too? If so that's plain stupid. Insurers would have a canary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

The ability to disable the passenger airbag has to be installed when ordering from the factory.

Usually you use your key to turn it on and off in the glovebox.

A dealer will not touch it afterward due to any potential liability in the event of a collision.

I.E they don't install it correctly and the airbag goes off killing your baby.

Well after much thought, I'm gonna go with Peasants advice :D

It's just not worth the hassle!

Apart from the colour blinding me, and the trouble of changing all the gaudy bits, my car seat would be useless in a Focus, so thats more expense.

Thanks all for the advice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,743 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Shelli wrote:
    Well after much thought, I'm gonna go with Peasants advice :D

It's just not worth the hassle!

Apart from the colour blinding me, and the trouble of changing all the gaudy bits, my car seat would be useless in a Focus, so thats more expense.

Thanks all for the advice though.
    so going for a different one, or buying a pair of sunglasses....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

think its a car where you can turn the airbag off that the op is after, is it possible to turn it off in the mark II?

OK, so I checke and my car seat can go in the back, so I'm just gonna keep an eye out for another Focus.

My cousin got a buyer for his Focus and got a good price for it, so I don't feel bad turning it down. But after seeing his, it did help me out deciding that I do actually want a Focus.

Thanks again all.

Fine!

Can I gloat now ??

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Please feel free!! :D

Advertisement