Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who by Fire

Options
  • 18-06-2007 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in seeing this show in the ******* this week...but having had a look around it seems to have got some bad reviews (though in a lot of cases i can't read the actual review...for example on ireland.com). Has anyone seen this before and what did you think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Battlejuice

i'm hoping to see this too although I think it's only starting in Dublin tonight. Haven't had any luck in finding any reviews either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I came across these...
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/news-gossip/unintended-comedy-puts-audience-through-mill-56182.html
    http://www.rte.ie/arts/2007/0227/whobyfire.html

which don't look too promising...but I'd love to hear from anybody that's seen it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The RTE review isn't that bad, made me want to go see it actually. Thanks for mentioning this.

Oh if you go see it before the end of the run, let us know...I´m just always suggesting going to the theatre to non theatre going friends and if they don´t like it I end up leaving it for ages before I suggest it again, so I´m quite picky!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I went to see this last night in the *******. I thought it was pretty poor. The acting was bad, the script was bad and I didnt think the songs suited it at all. I found myself pissing myself laughing at parts of the play that should have been somber.

On the way into the theatre they split up men and women and say how ticket numbers are irrelevant, which was a novelty at the start. But I had decent tickets for up the front and I ended up having to sit half way down the back. This whole thing got kind of annoying after 5 minutes.

I'm not sure it's worth spending the bones of €30 on. Give it a miss.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd pretty much given up on it at this stage. It's funny how reviews can be chopped for the benefit of advertising. I noticed the ad had a quote from the Irish Times 'it got a standing ovation on its first night'. Now that's all very well, maybe a standing ovation would imply that it's good, but if it is good and the Irish Times thinks it's good, surely there would be something else in the review that they could use, perhaps something with lots of positive adjectives. I haven't been able to find the review online (don't have premium access to ireland.com) but I think I read something implying it was pretty bad too.

Went to see 84 Charing Cross at Andrews Lane instead. Thought that was fantastic.

I know this is finished and it's a few weeks ago, but came across an interesting discussion about it on liveline. See 26th June

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_liveline.xml

Advertisement