Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie/FF Shaft Kilkenny Again (as I predicted)

• 18-06-2007 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭

So another 5 years without a minister here. All those here in KK that so enthusiastically voted FF again must be delighted. Three backbenchers, how useful:rolleyes: ...
    Haven't heard about the Junior Ministries. Won't hold my breath that we'll get anything either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I don't think there was really any hope of John McGuinness getting a senior ministry. Especially not while Martin Cullen is still in the frame. Bertie has to consider geographical spread as well as (in)abality when he picks his ministers.

Also, he didn't exactly make a lot of changes now did he?

I doubt he will make many changes to the junior ministry line-up when he announces it later this week. However, the fact that he is increasing the amount of them from 17 to 20 will hopefully mean that McGuinness will get promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mick_irl wrote:
    I don't think there was really any hope of John McGuinness getting a senior ministry. Especially not while Martin Cullen is still in the frame. Bertie has to consider geographical spread as well as (in)abality when he picks his ministers.

Also, he didn't exactly make a lot of changes now did he?

I doubt he will make many changes to the junior ministry line-up when he announces it later this week. However, the fact that he is increasing the amount of them from 17 to 20 will hopefully mean that McGuinness will get promoted.

I'm not sure. Why would Bertie appoint his enemy at the end of the day?
    The amount of Dublin ministers is unreal. Harney, Gormley, Ryan, Hanafin, Ahern (himself), Lenihan.
    The s east is totally under represented in comparison. I don't buy the argument that because Cullen is in from the region that should suffice for the whole region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I wonder do people understand politics at all some times.

no minister since gibbons yet people vote for fianna fail as a constant.

why would a taoiseach see any " political" need to appoint a carlow/kk td to a ministerial position ? and when the choices are either ineffectual or antagonistics to the "party hierarchY" its a no-brainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Mary White is the best bet for a junior minister for CW/KK imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

mfitzy wrote:
    So another 5 years without a minister here. All those here in KK that so enthusiastically voted FF again must be delighted.

I feel absolutey no sympathy for the idiots of KK that voted FF back in. They'll be complaining about Ahern and Harney again in a few weeks. Good enough for the dopes for putting them back in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

If Bertie thought he was going to have trouble getting enough FF TDs in Carlow/Kilkenny, there's be a minister here in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

mfitzy wrote:
    The amount of Dublin ministers is unreal. Harney, Gormley, Ryan, Hanafin, Ahern (himself), Lenihan.

There are over 1 million people in Dublin, the 2006 census showed only 22,000 people in Kilkenny and its suburbs. Dublin needs every one of the ministers it has and more, although I do agree that Carlow/Kilkenny should be better represented as it would take some of the strain off Dublin if more business was located in this area.

Exporters operating from Carlow/Kilkenny would also have the choice of using either Dublin or Waterford ports, especially seeing as how Waterford are now getting a huge infrastructure boost!

r3nu4l wrote:
    There are over 1 million people in Dublin, the 2006 census showed only 22,000 people in Kilkenny and its suburbs. Dublin needs every one of the ministers it has and more, although I do agree that Carlow/Kilkenny should be better represented as it would take some of the strain off Dublin if more business was located in this area.

Exporters operating from Carlow/Kilkenny would also have the choice of using either Dublin or Waterford ports, especially seeing as how Waterford are now getting a huge infrastructure boost!

Population of the Carlow-KK constituency is something close to 137,000 (Carlow-50,000, Kilkenny 87,000). It's outragoeus that we returned 3 FF TDs again and get no cabinet ministry.
    Compare the Dublin region to the s east (1 million vs over 400,000 people). There is only one senior ministry here, Cullen in Waterford. Compare to all the Dublin based ones I previously outlined it's very clear then we are totally under rep at cabinet level. Think I forgot Seamas Brennan in my list so that's another Dublin one!!
    As for infrastructure, yes, we have great plans underway. However, they aren't in place yet and consequently the south east still suffers from a criplling infrastructure deficit.

JohnMc1 wrote:
    I feel absolutey no sympathy for the idiots of KK that voted FF back in. They'll be complaining about Ahern and Harney again in a few weeks. Good enough for the dopes for putting them back in.

Here, here... I take it your username has nothing to do with John McGuinness then:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They seem to be slow naming the junior ministers this time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

mfitzy wrote:
    Population of the Carlow-KK constituency is something close to 137,000 (Carlow-50,000, Kilkenny 87,000). It's outragoeus that we returned 3 FF TDs again and get no cabinet ministry.
    Compare the Dublin region to the s east (1 million vs over 400,000 people). There is only one senior ministry here, Cullen in Waterford. Compare to all the Dublin based ones I previously outlined it's very clear then we are totally under rep at cabinet level. Think I forgot Seamas Brennan in my list so that's another Dublin one!!
    As for infrastructure, yes, we have great plans underway. However, they aren't in place yet and consequently the south east still suffers from a criplling infrastructure deficit.
    Hey I'm not arguing with you buddy, I still think Dublin needs more but agree that the SEast could do with some too! Believe me, anything that stems the flow of people into Dublin would be great! Edmonton in Canada is about 4 times the size of Dublin and has 1/4 the population of Dublin, that's a nice way to have a city! I'd much rather see about 500,000 people move to Kilkenny and the surrounding area than have those people in Dublin believe me! (I don't even live in Dublin anymore but would rather see city growth slow or even stop for a while!)

This isn't a Dubs vs the rest argument, if you can't argue for more ministers based on the need you have rather than the number other people have, then people think you don't have an argument.

I'd suggest that you find a better argument to support your cause, examples such as unemployment, healthcare representation, lack of business development, infrastructure etc are all good arguments for the Carlow/Kilkenny area having better representation. The fact that the Dubs have 5/6 is not a good argument...seems rather childish tbh! Take that out of the equation and then you can be taken seriously, otherwise it just looks like another "mucker" complaining about the "Jackeens" "gettin' everything, an' we get nawhin!' Pointless.

/I have to re-iterate again that I still support and agree with your point of needing better representation because despite the old adage that ministers are there to benefit their country first and their constituency second, we all know that's not really the case!

EDIT/ btw, the SEast region may have 400,000 people but the Greater Dublin region has over 1.4 million... just a point of information. You started off talking about Kilkenny which is why I compared the paltry 22,000 to the 1,000,000.

An Taoiseach Bertie Ahern DUBLIN CENTRAL

Ceann Comhairle John O'Donoghue KERRY SOUTH

Agriculture, Fisheries & Food Mary Coughlan DONEGAL SOUTH WEST
    Arts, Sport & Tourism Seamus Brennan DUBLIN SOUTH
    Communications & Natural Resources Eamon Ryan DUBLIN SOUTH
    Community, Rural & Gaeltacht Affairs Eamon O'Cuiv GALWAY WEST
    Defence Willie O'Dea LIMERICK EAST
    Education & Science Mary Hanafin DUN LAOGHAIRE
    Enterprise, Trade & Employment Micheal Martin CORK SOUTH CENTRAL
    Environment, Heritage & Local Government John Gormley DUBLIN SOUTH EAST
    Tánaiste/Finance Brian Cowen LAOIS-OFFALY
    Foreign Affairs Dermot Ahern LOUTH
    Health & Children Mary Harney DUBLIN MID WEST
    Justice, Equality & Law Reform Brian Lenihan DUBLIN WEST
    Social & Family Affairs Martin Cullen WATERFORD
    Transport & Marine Noel Dempsey MEATH WEST

Chief Whip Tom Kitt DUBLIN SOUTH

Minister Of State, European Affairs Dick Roche WICKLOW

The cabinet is very Dublin-biased....but look at the likes of Cork too. Second biggest city and largest county, yet only one cabinet seat.

There are only a certain amount of seats to go around but as I've said before, with an increased amount of junior Ministers, we are in with a shout.

Keep those fingers crossed!

I don't want a Dublin vs S east thing either btw. Our economy is heavily tied to Dublin here in any case. I never go in for Dublin bashing. Futile when it's the engine of the Irish economy. If anythiung I want this county better linked/ intergrated to Dublin so we can take some of the overspill.

6 ministers for 1.4 million vs 1 minister for 0.4 million (a conservative estimate) just doesn't add no matter which way you look at it. I was merely trying to raise that point. It's sad to think that Bertie can't look beyond his own croonies in Dublin in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Firetrap wrote:
    If Bertie thought he was going to have trouble getting enough FF TDs in Carlow/Kilkenny, there's be a minister here in the morning.

100% Correct but he realizes the people of Carlow/Kilkenny are stupid enough to vote for them time and again so he doesn't have to do anything for the area.

mfitzy wrote:
    Here, here... I take it your username has nothing to do with John McGuinness then

Nope. My screen name is based on my real name John McEnery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Some good news for KK although I have to say Bertie increasing junior roles from 17 to 20 rather than fire people is ridiculous.
    Anyway a Junior ministry for John McGuinness at trade & commerce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

It seems that Bertie has taken note of the old adage mentioned in your sig Kilkennycat2004. So what will McGuinness provide for the SE in terms of Trade & commerce? I personally dont have much faith in him. He'll be gone in the reshuffle.

I think McGuinness will do well at this. I hope he can bring on a few projects for KK in terms of inward investment. Especially in infrastructure.

Didn't Phil Hogan hold this portfolio before? And got fired for leaking the budget:rolleyes: .Idiot!

A token gesture on Bertie's behalf perhaps? Welcome none the less....

mfitzy wrote:
    I think McGuinness will do well at this. I hope he can bring on a few projects for KK in terms of inward investment. Especially in infrastructure.

Didn't Phil Hogan hold this portfolio before? And got fired for leaking the budget:rolleyes: .Idiot!

A token gesture on Bertie's behalf perhaps? Welcome none the less....

Phil was Minister of State at the Department of Finance with special responsibility for the Office of Public Works.

Michael Ahern from Cork was the previous Minister of State for Trade and Commerce.

Martin welcomes appointment of Ministers of State
    The Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Micheál Martin, TD has welcomed the appointment of the Ministers of State to his Department.

“The appointment of Michael Ahern, TD, as Minister for Innovation Policy, Billy Kelleher, TD, as Minister for Labour Affairs and John McGuinness as Minister for Trade and Commerce underlines the determination of this Government to ensure we continue to grow an enterprise economy.”

“Minister Ahern is re-appointed to a Department where he has played a major role in developing international trade, Minister Kelleher takes up his post after 4 years as Deputy Government Chief Whip while Minister McGuinness has full knowledge of the challenges ahead after serving as a member of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Enterprise, Trade and Employment.”

“Together we will work to ensure that Ireland remains an attractive location for Foreign Direct Investment and we will continue to create an environment where our small and medium sized companies deliver jobs for our people in every community in the country.”

“I look forward to working with Michael, Billy and John, together we will work to ensure Ireland remains competitive, innovative and a key location for job creation”, concluded Minister Martin.

ENDS/ETE1754

Advertisement