Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9mm Ammunition

Options
  • 18-06-2007 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Gentlemen & Ladies.... let's not forget them....

Question for anyone using 9mm, have you any favourite brand of ammunition, I recently tried some rounds from "Wolf " the Russian company, much cheeper than others but perhaps not the same quality, I was wondering what you find to be the best value.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Where did you get the Wolf???And how much??
    Cheapest I have seen sofar is Casales in Cashel hungarian FMJ at 10 euros per 50

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Prefer Sellier & Bellot 115g or Magtech subsonic if I can get em (not so handy at the min), consistant, clean, gentle recoil. CCI after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

Where did you get the Wolf???And how much??
    Cheapest I have seen sofar is Casales in Cashel hungarian FMJ at 10 euros per 50

Found them on a recent trip in France... €8.50 for 50 Rounds, dirty but good !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

is wolf the same as lapua?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Wolf ammo is Russian manufactured (Lapua is Finnish and top class) using steel cases. Most top end firearms makers specifically warn against using Wolf or other steel-cased ammo in their firearms.

Check the ground on any range and look for rusting cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

on my rimfire .22 they have the same base markings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 atals77

Magtech, FMJ, JHP, JSP. Reliable, no jams, no FTF or FTE. About €10 per box of 50.

atals77 wrote:
    Magtech, FMJ, JHP, JSP. Reliable, no jams, no FTF or FTE. About €10 per box of 50.

Where??? Like hens teeth to my knowledge

I get mine in the North. (Tannyoky Guns & Ammo near Newry).
    OK for you guys living North of Dublin.
    However you will need a European Firearms Pass as Gavin and Cecil although very friendly and helpful play it by the book. (afterall it is their livelihood and they will not risk getting in hot water with the DTI or cops if you are stopped on the way back to the border with 1000 rounds of 9mm and no Europass.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Sat,just bought the most expensive 100 rounds ever of 9mm. 44Euros for Winchester at Jim Halpins in Listowel.:eek: Even Jim himself admitted they were over the top in price,but he had to shift them at that price,and I had driven 60 odd miles to get some ammo.

This is a stupid situation,where now reloading is justified.In the US you used to get somthing like 3000 rounds surplus or reloaded at gunshows in a 223 ammo box for that money.If you want to be good at practical pistol,you would want to burn that a month.Rippoff ireland strikes again.

• Advertisement

Sat,just bought the most expensive 100 rounds ever of 9mm. 44Euros for Winchester at Jim Halpins in Listowel.:eek: Even Jim himself admitted they were over the top in price,but he had to shift them at that price,and I had driven 60 odd miles to get some ammo.

Jaysus!!! Got 100 rounds of winchester 9mm in Tallaght Rod n Gun for €25 and I thought that was a bit on the high side:eek:

Thanks for info Atlas.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Sellier___Bellot_9mm_115grn_FMJ.html

1000 rounds for $140
    can you get a store to order it for you and give them a few more quid for their trouble?
    Also whats the deal with buying in europe and bring it home? is it legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Have ye seen the .223 prices? ..... Definitely living in the wrong country. :mad:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Brown_Bear_.223_5.56x45_62grn_Jacketed_Hollow_Point.html

TJ911...

Give your local gun dealer a copy of your licence. He can then order 3 times the quantity on the basis of your licence (and you can pick it up in three "visits")

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

Northern Ireland is a good bit cheaper but a European Firearms Pass is not sufficient in order to go up and buy ammunition.

If you have either guns or ammo in your possession in NI without a PSNI Visitor's Firearms Permit you are breaking the law.

The only way you can get a permit is to show a need for one, such as joining a target club up there. You then have to also get a NI Resident to sponsor you with the PSNI.

Don't get caught offside. The PSNI are vey fair in granting the permits but they ruthlessly enforce all the rules without exception (and don't think that they won't let your local cops know about any incident)

It's not worth the risk.

A sponser is suficient for visitor permit. Note that your visitor permit will expire same as your cert, so you may as well wait until August.

Previous two posts are correct. You will need a visitors permit too. (£12 stg).
    Valid for 1 year. (I omitted this in my original post). I got mine based on needing it to shoot IPSC north of the border.
    You will need a sponsor too. (Your local friendly northern gun dealer may do the necessary for you as he is going to make money from you in any case). You will need to send your Europass off with your visitors pass application form (You can download visitors permit application form from PSNI website).

Bring your visitors permit with you as this is the number they sign the ammo out against in their books.

Advertisement