Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming off SSRI's - Parox withdrawal

• 18-06-2007 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Has anyone gone through this? Its alarmingly bad. Would love some tips etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are a class of antidepressants used in the treatment of depression, anxiety disorders and some personality disorders.

Parox: Treatment of depressive illness including depression accompanied by anxiety, prevention of relapse and recurrence of further depressive episodes. Treatment and prevention of relapse of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and panic disorder with or without agoraphobia. Treatment of generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) and post traumatic stress disorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Is it cold turkey?
    Have you dealt with the problems that you went on it for in the first place?

biko wrote:
    Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are a class of antidepressants used in the treatment of depression, anxiety disorders and some personality disorders.

Parox: Treatment of depressive illness including depression accompanied by anxiety, prevention of relapse and recurrence of further depressive episodes. Treatment and prevention of relapse of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and panic disorder with or without agoraphobia. Treatment of generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) and post traumatic stress disorder.

Prozac is an SSRI for anyone wanting a comparison. Its a well known label, so it would be more recognisable by anyone else reading this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

queera wrote:
    Has anyone gone through this? Its alarmingly bad. Would love some tips etc.
    Are you going through it now?

Having someone there with you to talk to might be useful. If you are finding it completely excessive, talk to the prescribing doctor, they may be able to give you something to relax you for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭queera

Yes, Im in the middle of it now. Having pretty bad 'brain zaps' - an electric shock feeling, and also am feeling really nauseous and anxious. Feeling like Im out of touch with reality. Want to hide under a blanket kinda feeling. But have lots of support. Prescribing doctor is no help, my therapist is the one who instructed me to come off, and she's a pretty well up expert on them. Just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this and if anythign helps. I have a script for xanax Im really reluctant to take.:(

• Advertisement

queera wrote:
    Yes, Im in the middle of it now. Having pretty bad 'brain zaps' - an electric shock feeling, and also am feeling really nauseous and anxious. Feeling like Im out of touch with reality. Want to hide under a blanket kinda feeling. But have lots of support. Prescribing doctor is no help, my therapist is the one who instructed me to come off, and she's a pretty well up expert on them. Just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this and if anythign helps. I have a script for xanax Im really reluctant to take.:(

She recommended cold turkey?

No, Im tapering off at the moment!

queera wrote:
    No, Im tapering off at the moment!

Ah. Phew. Dont worry, it doesnt take that long, just remember its all not real at the moment if you feel depressed or anxious. Rely on the fact that it will go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

queera wrote:
    I have a script for xanax Im really reluctant to take.:(
    Then use it. Even if you only take the one tablet to take the edge off things, thats what the prescription is for! Read the instructions, but I found Xanax to be useful, but quite mild.

Rolled up duvets are better than blankets. :D

Thanks to both of you for your help. It is important to rem that its a false state of anxiety, sometimes I lose sight of this! And hopefully itll be over soon. Cheers. ps rolled up duvets. Great call.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hey,

I'll just add what I have gone through while coming off an SSRI (Lexapro). Basically, I started taking it 3 years ago and, after a year or so, I began weaning-off of it (i.e. lowering the dosage gradually) on the advice of my GP and psychotherapist.

When it actually got to the point of not taking it at all, the days were incredibly difficult. I think I probably went through a full year of trying to come off it, and then going back on. However, I stopped taking it again 3 weeks ago and things are - bizarrely - different now: I feel happier.

My point is; take your time with this. If you don't feel ready to come off then just go back on with the lowest dosage and try to come off again when you are ready.

Take care,
    Kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

You need to taper off real slow.

<medical-type advice snipped>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Different drug (Effexor) but coming down off it slowly over a month (from 300mg after being on it for 2 years) was a harsh experience. It was just one constant string of headaches for a full month with it approaching migraine levels occasionally.

Varies from person to person though, I know at least one person who had very few side effects coming off it. I hope you get through it quickly queera. The main thing to keep in mind is that it will end, just take it day by day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hi Queera,

I'm glad you got some practical tips, but for stuff like this you should really see a doctor for the best advice.

tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement