Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Charles advice

Options
  • 18-06-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Was thinking of getting a King Charles. Some people say they are stupid dogs. Is this true?
    Any tips on purchasing one? Many of them in buyandsell seem to be IKC registered and microchipped, and selling for 400-500. Does this sound like the best place to get one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

There's horses for courses. It all really depends what you want out of a dog it you want to have it as a pet and have children around they are great. You can give the kids some responsibility in looking after the CKC as well.

Try and not go down the buy and sell route but ring up the kennell club and where you go to see the pups you should always see the mother and if possible the father. Never meet up half way as you do not know the background of the pup ie puppy farm etc.

I have heard that the IKC registered forms have been known to be forged and you can always ring the kennell club for verifyication of the parentage.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

we got one as a pup. great dogs for kids but they get bored when left alone.
    he ate everything in sight. the table the chairs the kitchen press's and he even ate a hole in the wall:eek:

just to warn you.
    i still miss him:(

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

I'm not a small dog fan myself but they are nice dogs. They ain't the most intelligent - you won't be doing tricks on Top dog or anything but easy to train to sit, come and stay. My pals one is lovely, she both her in Kilkenny - for €350 and saw both parents, well kept and she greeted them when they came in. They love affection - and Lady - my pals dog, loves digging up the flowers in the garden! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

Have alook at this board
    http://board.cavaliertalk.com/

It's run by an irish lady, and as far as i'm aware it is irish based, so you should be able to find good information about KC's in ireland from there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

I think the 'stupid' tag comes from the fact these are one of the breeds bred to keep puppy characteristics (big eyes, small size) and apparently they aren't as advanced as other dogs in their instinctual dog language.

I think a lot depends on how they're handled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 M0use

try www.cavaliers4u.com They have a really good reputation, but you will probably have to go on a waiting list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bustershark

Hi,
    Under no circumstances should you buy a pedigree dog from the buy and sell, as this perpetuates back yard breeding, which in the case of the CKCS is devastating the breed.
    Issues like Mitral Valve defect (MVD) and syringomyelia (SM) are prevalent in this breed and can only be reduced with responsible breeding.
    Make sure you research your breeder well and there is plenty of advice on this at http://board.cavaliertalk.com/
    This is a fantastic breed of dog for the home and will become a close member of your family in no time, but you run the risk of buying a dog with serious health issues if you do not do your research.
    It is also important to note that this is a dog that requires a greater degree of human contact than most, so consider this if you are going to be leaving the dog alone for long periods of time.

Advertisement