Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Aftermath

Options
  • 18-06-2007 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

So, what did everyone think? Personally I found it very hard and I regret not doing Q12.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Found it to be complete bollocks, ridiculously hard paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

mate just txt me, his words:
    "oh **** it might be a fail"

Sounds like Physics was crazy hard this year :o

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Didnt think it was ridiculous now tbh. Q5 was beautiful..same goes for 10a and 11. I messed up the apparent business in he experiments and I could only get 1 part of Q12.

Overall im quite happy concidering I went into that room dreading The Great Big F i was possibly getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I liked it!! What was with the copper piece in the experiment, put me off slightly but i think i got around it.
    Also, that question on the dopple effect, messed up on that. Other than that, it was ok. Looking at a high C / low B :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

I nearly cried.
    In fact I sat there staring at the questions with different letters going through my head for the equations.

What was with the copper Q?

I did about half of section B - as in half questions. That was really unneeded... I needed a C2 in that - so didnt get it, and now facing the fact I'm not going to college next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Thought it was a sound paper with the exception of the question on the metre bridge. Some strange questions thrown into question one.

EDIT that Fermi question-is it on the course? Wikipedia sh*ites on about quantum mechanics about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moggins

the expirments questiond f***ed me up the hole..... and since when is enrico fermi on our course???? c***s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

All the exps: Predicted and fair. Only 2 graphs. I did all four because I feck up 3. Approx focal length isn't the same as finding the average focal length is it?

Q.5 Short questions.. Easy and fair
    Q.6 Wanted Hooke's Law to come up but not like this. Only got the definition and the derivation. and the period of oscillation
    Q.7 Wanted Doppler Effect to come up but thought this was hard. Go definition, explanation. "emission spectrum"? Never heard of it but I bull**** a bit there. Maths .. I didn't get, might have got some
    Q.8 Attempted this even though I didn't study elec.
    Q.9 Skipped
    Q.10 (a) didn't know the equation or how to calc the energy
    Q.11 Fair. "why is silicon a semiconductor?" because it feels like it?
    Q.12 (a)easy, only mech on the paper :( (d) easy but didn't know the equation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

Failed miserably! I'm so depressed right now. There's no way I got 40% of that paper correct. Nothing I studied came up. It was so obscure. I think I might try and score some heroin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

madgal wrote:
    now facing the fact I'm not going to college next year.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. They'll have to adjust the marking scheme to generate a specific percentage of A's B's and C's so you could do alright. Also, you have other subjects to rely on so one paper can't throw you off just like that.

madgal wrote:
    I needed a C2 in that - so didnt get it, and now facing the fact I'm not going to college next year.

my thoughts exactly on the journey home!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Anyone want to post up solution for Q6 i think i did okay in it but really dont know!!

I skipped past all the hard questions!

Did 5,6,9,10 and 12

Nuclear and Particle Phys went well

But i messed up my parts of Q12

Did 2 good experiments and 1 awful one.

All in all would be disappointed if i don't get a C3/C2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

Anyone want to post up solution for Q6 i think i did okay in it but really dont know!!

Solutions? The test is over mate. Take you're C3 and head away.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Three letters: wtf

I mean you'd think theyd at least make a doable paper!! that was actually impossible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Splicer

i thought the whole paper was ambiguous, didnt like it at all..
    damn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yeah, got a lot of complaints about this paper. I did ordinary meself, with I thought was reasonably nice and easy, but higher was meant to have been a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

**** paper, wanted to get a good B ill be happy if i got a C.. some of the questions were inpossible, and wtf was with the copper block Q?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

I thought it was quite nice. Didnt find anything too difficult.
    Did all four experiments, Q5,6,7,10a,11 and 12 a and d
    Cant complain really, some of the questions were tricky i got them out. 12a couldnt have been easier, lovely 28marks in the bag there.

Easier markes hopefully if theres all these complains!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sheroo_05

I would consider myself to be an A1 physics student but after that paper I would be lucky to get a B. That was the hardest paper ever. Every question had some tricky part to it and they were worth alot more marks aswel, then usual....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

It was a ridiculously hard paper....but doable. I'm reasonably confident about it though.

Wasn't the fermi thing about the gamma radiation? I'm not sure.

As for to get the speed of the proton, you had to use E=QV
    and then E= half mv^2 where the charge of a proton is equal to the charge of an electron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭madnirvana

Hopefully an A:D

was easy tBh..

but like doppler effect qs was hard.. i founf 12 hards aswell...

focal lenth qs hmmm i got 12 with calculations but i couldnt get it from graph:mad:

anyone got it from graph? how?:confused:

carlowboy wrote:
    Wasn't the fermi thing about the gamma radiation? I'm not sure.
    I thought it was to do with the nutrino. I know Pauli discovered it, but did Fermi propose it, or something...
    madnirvana wrote:
    anyone got it from graph? how?

Find where the graph crosses the axis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I might have got like 6/40 in Q2 though.

I done it totally wrong instead of finding the change of temp of copper i did final temp - initial temp..... ughhhhhho ughhhhho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cormac17

it defo was da hardest exam of da lot!!:(:(:(,,,none of the easy definitions came up like newtons laws!!!!,,,hated da exam really!!! sat there nd nearly cried!!lol,,,but did get in2 it in da end!!!,,thank god its over now!! not sure if i passed or not!!:(:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Splicer

i just realised i confused fission and fusion

why oh why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Thought it was okay. Bit of thinking involved. Hopefully C1 or B3.

actually adding up the mark i know i got theres a good chance i might just get a c2 or c1... though in saying that i think i only got like 40 marks in section A.
    but got high marks i'd say in Q5,11,12. okish in 10a and i reckon full marks in ques 7. emission line spec thing is on the chem course too so yeay....

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Q 6
    Calculate spring constant

Use k=F/s

period use T=2pi/w

Max acceleration

I did 300mm-200mm to get the range of oscillation, then used my answer from the previous

k/m=w^2

a=w^2s

Length of the string-I thought this was zero, but at the fixed point on its path, its acceleration is zero, so whatever that point is (285mm?)

• Advertisement

nedward wrote:
    I did 300mm-200mm to get the range of oscillation, then used my answer from the previous

Wasnt it 285 because thats where the equilibrium point is with the mass attached....

Advertisement