Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

When'll the SEC be uploading the mofo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I regret not doing ordinary level now, definite fail :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Tomlowe wrote:
    the principle on which the definition of the ampere is based anyone? is it that a current carrying conductor in a magnetic field experiences a force proportional to the current? i sure hope so

Principle on which the definition of the ampere is that constant current which when maintained between two straight parallel lines of infinite length and neligible cross section area, placed in a vacuum one metre apart produces a force of 2x10^-7 newtons per metre of length :D

Bad english there, too lazy to word it exactly

Nehpets wrote:
    Principle on which the definition of the ampere is that constant current which when maintained between two straight parallel lines of infinite length and neligible cross section area, placed in a vacuum one metre apart produces a force of 2x10^-7 newtons per metre of length :D

Bad english there, too lazy to word it exactly
    But that's the actual definition itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

madgal wrote:
    Btw answer to semiconductor Q - Why is silicon a semiconductor ... I said because it is between a good conductor and a good insulator... please tell me I was right.
    That's what I said and I think I read that this morning so let's just assume we're both right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

XD thats is word for word alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

That's the definition of the ampere, they wanted you to give the general principle of what it was based on, ie. that current carrying conductors produce a magnetic field that produces a force.

balls..

The writing time that took! haha

lol good thing i dont do physics. /me kisses his phys/chem paper.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    That's the definition of the ampere, they wanted you to give the general principle of what it was based on, ie. that current carrying conductors produce a magnetic field that produces a force.
    Yeah, that's what I said, and we're right.:D

They didn't want the definition of the ampere. If they did, they'd just have asked for it!

• Advertisement

madgal wrote:
    No. I need 2 B2's and 3C2s.

My plans where to get B's in Chemistry and music and C's in french, physics and english.

I just screwed up physics,so now I need to get an A in Chemistry to make up.

Considering everyone else found it so hard, the marking scheme will definitely be changed to accomodate that so you could still get the C.
    Alternatively the points for your course could drop or you may surprise yourself in music or even french.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

Yeah i heard it was a very tough paper this year. Also, did it follow a similar format of previous years?

Also, did it follow a similar format of previous years?
    Only with respect to layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Anyone able to scan in the paper by any chance? I'd like to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Anyone able to scan in the paper by any chance? I'd like to have a look.
    It'll be on www.examinations.ie by tomorrow, if not a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

Energy lost by copper in Q2: Anyone else get 924.5J? And for the part after that I completly blanked and didn't know wether or not you had to take into account the heat gained by the copper calorimeter so did it out twice leaving it out in one of them. Will I still get full marks?

I got the same answers as you Zor for Q6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

Considering everyone else found it so hard, the marking scheme will definitely be changed to accomodate that so you could still get the C.
    Alternatively the points for your course could drop or you may surprise yourself in music or even french.

Its not a points course. I'm moving to Northern Ireland - so the grades are given out ... and you either get it or move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

the best thing for anyone to do now is Let It Go. Its over!

Now its time to fret about the coming tests which will be without a doubt worse than that! :(

Au reviour Physics!!:) :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

section A the focal length experiment, i manipulated the formula in order to get a straight line graph, 1/f=1/u+1/v to become f=uv/u=v with the 'uv' being on the y-axis and the 'u+v' on the x axis...hoping that the y axis over the x axis would equal something which looked right:rolleyes: i was completely going out on a limb with this one....but stuck with it and i a straight line graph resulted, i then took two readings and the both equalled, roughly 12, so i added them together and divided by 2 to get the focal length...any1 else do this? also what was the answer for the filament bulb question in 5? i said because a load of energy is lost as heat? any1 know the story on that freaking star by the way??

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/567/physicsts7.jpg

That was my graph lol!! It didnt look right, but at that stage I was in despair and couldn't give a damn.

• Advertisement

Just an aside here; anyone else off to get disgustingly drunk?

The copper was heated by placing it inside a boiling tube covered in boiling water. Anything along those lines should be alright.

But how is the temp recorded then?

What I said was basically like that expt where you add heat to a copper calo to find its SHC. Put it in insulation, drop of oil in each hole, coil in one hole thermometer in the other. That way it is heated and you can also record its temp so it has to be right, right?

No. Got chemistry and Music still to go.

Plus drink damages brain cells, and after this mornings paper I realise I don't have enough to lose.

Adam sign me up. LC over means drinking start. Its been so long since ive tasted the sweet sweet tast of alcohol(with the exception of grad nite but i was hammered within the hour and cant reallly remember it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

adam_ccfc wrote:
    Just an aside here; anyone else off to get disgustingly drunk?

I want to but i dont want to ruin the chances of fcukin up economics on wednesday, wednesday night for sure!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

madgal wrote:
    http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/567/physicsts7.jpg

That was my graph lol!! It didnt look right, but at that stage I was in despair and couldn't give a damn.

Hope your really graph intercepted the two axes to get your 1/f value...

Hope your really graph intercepted the two axes to get your 1/f value...

bollocks.. i should stop reading this!

Avert thine eyes. Youre still looking arent you. AWAY NAO!

Energy lost by copper in Q2: Anyone else get 924.5J? The only thing I'm not really sure about atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Feddd wrote:
    Energy lost by copper in Q2: Anyone else get 924.5J? And for the part after that I completly blanked and didn't know wether or not you had to take into account the heat gained by the copper calorimeter so did it out twice leaving it out in one of them. Will I still get full marks?

I got the same answers as you Zor for Q6.

At the moment, I just fail to understand why everybody had a problem with Q2. Is it the case that you all only looked at the electrical method to do this experiment? There are countless examples in the book on how this is done tbh ...

Energy lost by the copper piece = Energy gained by the water + Energy gained by the copper calorimeter

mcΔθ = (0.0302).(390).(78.5) = 924.573 J

Therefore:

924.573 = m(w)c(w)Δθ(w) + m(cc)c(cc)Δθ(cc)
    924.573 = (0.0455)c(4.5) + (0.0557).(390).(4.5)
    924.573 = 0.20475(c) + 97.7535
    826.8195 = 0.20475(c)
    4038.19 J/Kg.K = c(w)

Minimise heat losses, very common question: ensure room temperature is not very high, use insulation, closed container etc.
    Larger mass of copper means larger rise in temperature of the water, which means more accurate result.

Advertisement