Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Thats what I got too ZorbaTehZ, dunno what the complaining is about the question. The exact thing may not have been in the book but it was pretty easy to work out TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Adam We wrote:
    Carlowboy, what school you in???

I'm in the Gaelcholáiste. And you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    At the moment, I just fail to understand why everybody had a problem with Q2. Is it the case that you all only looked at the electrical method to do this experiment? There are countless examples in the book on how this is done tbh ...
    It asked how you would go about heating and measuring the temperature of the copper, which I didn't have a clue about. Fair enough, I could have guessed, but it's a 9 mark question, I haven't learned it and therefore don't know the official way to do it and you're supposed to be allowed choose to do the experiment either the mechanical way or the electrical way.

AFAIK, the mechanical method isn't even in my book.

Apart from that 9 mark question, I could do the rest without a bother, but 9 marks is 22.222..% of the question I could do without having to make a guess at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I put the piece of copper (connected to joulemeter) in a boiling tube of glycerol and heated it with a joulemeter... Found the final temperature and reading on joulemeter and then removed it from glycerol and added to the calorimeter... Seemed ok to me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭microbiek

JC 2K3 wrote:
    It asked how you would go about heating and measuring the temperature of the copper, which I didn't have a clue about. Fair enough, I could have guessed, but it's a 9 mark question, I haven't learned it and therefore don't know the official way to do it and you're supposed to be allowed choose to do the experiment either the mechanical way or the electrical way.

AFAIK, the mechanical method isn't even in my book.

Apart from that 9 mark question, I could do the rest without a bother, but 9 marks is 22.222..% of the question I could do without having to make a guess at.

Could you not of done 1,3 and 4??? 4 was my best one!!! i ****ed up somehow in the calculations in Q1 haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

JC 2K3 wrote:
    (snip) ... and you're supposed to be allowed choose to do the experiment either the mechanical way or the electrical way.

According to who? We learned everything the mechanical and the electrical way. And tbh, if people are going to start shouting about a question that is common sense, then lol.

JC 2K3, if what you say is true (you're probably right), wouldn't they just take the 9 marks off the question and distribute it throught the rest?

eZe^ wrote:
    I put the piece of copper (connected to joulemeter) in a boiling tube of glycerol and heated it with a joulemeter... Found the final temperature and reading on joulemeter and then removed it from glycerol and added to the calorimeter... Seemed ok to me! :D

Hopefully you're right!! I needed full marks in the Section A tbh for the A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yep, my vice-principal deffo has something to do with setting the papers. I mean told them last year that the empere would deffo be up about a half hour before the exam. This year: Sound intensity and the dBA scale. That and whenever our teacher was out, he drilled SHM into us! Didn't do those questions or listen to him. I think this paper went a little too much off sylaabus for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

I think the answers for "How do you detect IR light" would make interesting reading.

• Advertisement

nedward wrote:
    I think the answers for "How do you detect IR light" would make interesting reading.

A guy in the 2nd physics class in my year said 'swimming goggles'! Ahahahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    According to who? We learned everything the mechanical and the electrical way. And tbh, if people are going to start shouting about a question that is common sense, then lol.

Seriously Zor, what do you get out of belittleing people who are worried/upset after doing such an important exam? I mean, all you have on the rest of the people is that your teacher did 2 methods of an expt instead of one. That hardly gives you bragging rights or the right to make people feel bad. =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

Erm for IR I said something about the gold leaf electroscope. My mind has gone at that stage.

Belittling? He pointed out that it wasn't a totally out-of-this-world-difficult solution. Sure, I didn't do it in class, so I said Oh, they heated it in water, because how else would they be able to find the temperature? Anyway, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

nedward wrote:
    Belittling? He pointed out that it wasn't a totally out-of-this-world-difficult solution. Sure, I didn't do it in class, so I said Oh, they heated it in water, because how else would they be able to find the temperature? Anyway, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

LOL!! For that question I said using a tongs, they carefully used a blowtorch to distribute heat around the piece of copper.

:d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moggins

madgal wrote:
    LOL!! For that question I said using a tongs, they carefully used a blowtorch to distribute heat around the piece of copper.

hehe i was thinkin the same thing when i seen it.
    i said by putting it in a beaker of boiling water and measurin the temp off a thermom.
    i also said it could be done by putting it in an oven that has a thermostat thing!!!:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

nedward wrote:

if people are going to start shouting about a question that is common sense, then lol.

That quote sounds looks condescending tbh.

I mean, my teacher didn't cover it and I had never seen it before and still worked it out but you don't see me laughing at all the people who found it a difficult question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 spongebobgirl

I thought it was ok. The heat capacity experiment question was totally unfair, the syllabus requires us to know a mechanical OR electrical method. I got most of it out but still...

I was disappointed when the lovely thermometers and thermometric properties question didn't come up in 12, but in general the paper follwed the trend of all the papers so far - it was challenging yet fair.

I can't believe what I'm reading on the 'physics leak' thread... I think someone'll get in trouble!

Certainly not trying to belittle people, thats a well drastic conclusion you've come to.

The problem I have is that people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I mean seriously, its not like there 5 or 6 ways to heat something and some people are making out on this forum that the commission has done us some huge grievance by including this question.

Like I said its common sense.

• Advertisement

That method is actually on the official method given by the department....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 spongebobgirl

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Certainly, not trying to belittle people, thats a well drastic conclusion you've come to.

The problem I have is that people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I mean seriously, its not like there 5 or 6 ways to heat something and some people are making out on this forum that the commission has done us some huge grievance by including this question.

Like I said its common sense.

I'm not freaking out about it, I actually got the question out, all's I'm sayin' is that the title of the experiment that's on the course is 'measurement of specific heat capacity, e.g. water or a metal by a mechanical or electrical method.

Perhaps you guys are right then.
    Just checked the syllabus and it's a little ambiguous with regards which experiments should be done by students.

PDF:Physics Syllabus

Page 29, bottom:
    HEAT
    2. Measurement of Specific Heat Capacity, e.g. of water or a metal by a mechanical or electrical method.

So therefore, not only do you have the choice of electrical *or* mechanical, but the choice of water *or* a metal.
    But that still doesn't really make sense, since it has happened in a number of past papers where only one specific case has come up ... so I don't know ... I suppose technically you guys are right.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Perhaps you guys are right then.
    Just checked the syllabus and it's a little ambiguous with regards which experiments should be done by students.

PDF:Physics Syllabus

Page 29, bottom:

So therefore, not only do you have the choice of electrical *or* mechanical, but the choice of water *or* a metal.
    But that still doesn't really make sense, since it has happened in a number of past papers where only one specific case has come up ... so I don't know ... I suppose technically you guys are right.

Thats the first time specific heat capacity came up in the new syllabus.

Left my papers at school so I couldn't check them, but if thats the case, then I stand corrected, and apologize if I insulted anyone.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_physics_sy.pdf?language=EN

Page 29.

How to heat the copper is not really common sense, tbh, as there's a defined, specific method of doing it.

EDIT: You already found it, I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

nedward wrote:
    for this I wrote "using an IR camera" Think ill get the marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭fallon54

gotta say, thought it was a tough exam, so did most of my class, even the geeks! **** myself when I got the paper. Question 3 in the experiments raped me, lost 18 marks on the graph, was gutted. Suprizingly I think I got full marks on question 2, everyone else seemed to have trouble.

Q5 - reasonable.
    Q6. - 3/4 marks
    Q7. **** of a Question. Never seem emmission line before. Assumed it was same as red shift. I got the star to be going away?
    10. Nice. lovely E= mc2. Easy 12 marks
    11. Ok, ****ed up the isotope. Dammit!

V. Tough paper overall, abstract. Hopefully, I'll get my C1, maybe even a b3 with a nice marker, depends if the standard goes down, which it should if alot had difficulty with it.

Have to wait till august 15th unfortunately.

Only one exam left Thank F U C K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

For detecting IR light, I said using a blackened thermometer bulb to detect its heating effect or by its effect on photographic plates.

• Advertisement

I wrote that it affects a photographic plate, right?

Advertisement