Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

I don't see why people did Q3 and are now moaning about it!

I'm not defending the way it was asked, but as soon as I saw what was entailed, I just decided to do the other 3 experiments!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Dont know if ye know already but the papers up now
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2007/LC021ALP000EV.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

adam_ccfc wrote:
    I don't see why people did Q3 and are now moaning about it!

I'm not defending the way it was asked, but as soon as I saw what was entailed, I just decided to do the other 3 experiments!
    But if you didn't know how to heat the copper due to the dept telling you you didn't have to know how, you had no choice...

Q3 wasn't so bad anyway. There was 18 marks for the second section. My guess is 12 for the graph and 6 for working out f, and if you got f without working it out from the graph I'd say they'd give you 3.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I wrote that it affects a photographic plate, right?
    See my post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Net force is zero at 0.085m (point of equilibrium)

EDIT: nub

I got all dem answers but when it's stretched is the amplitude not 310mm-285mm and the pt of equilibrium is 285mm?

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    But if you didn't know how to heat the copper due to the dept telling you you didn't have to know how, you had no choice...

Q3 wasn't so bad anyway. There was 18 marks for the second section. My guess is 12 for the graph and 6 for working out f, and if you got f without working it out from the graph I'd say they'd give you 3.
    Fair enough, I was looking for full marks though so I didn't chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Where the feck is the IR light and photographic plate coming from????

carlowboy wrote:
    Where the feck is the IR light and photographic plate coming from????
    I have the 'Real World Physics' book by Dan O'Regan, and it lists the effect on photographic plates and the heating effect (by using a blackened thermometer bulb) as methods of detecting IR light. They're what I put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

@Gangsta: Amplitude is the distance between the maximum displacement and the point of equilibrium, so by that logic it must be at 285mm - why do you think it could be 280mm? (so I can follow your train of thought)

Ohhh....I get you now.... just as well I had 8 out of the other 9 eh? ;)

• Advertisement

carlowboy wrote:
    Where??????Question 2?
    Yep, asked how IR light was detected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ron-burgandy

Do you think I'll get marks for infrared goggles?!

sarcastic fecker! :D
    If you knew the other ones, you needn't have bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

I did a mini graph on my exam paper and they both looked the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

madgal wrote:
    http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/567/physicsts7.jpg

That was my graph lol!! It didnt look right, but at that stage I was in despair and couldn't give a damn.

Does the 1/V not go on the Y-Axis for that experiment?

BrightEyes wrote:
    Yeah, sure does.

BrightEyes wrote:

Does it make a difference? The long answer is....no.

Do you think I'll get marks for infrared goggles?!

I don't think that can detect infrared light though can it? It gives off infrared light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭microbiek

Ir goggles and thermal imaging and a themometer

I dunno... I didn't do that part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

I was going for an A1 but don't think I got it and it doesn't matter that people say they will mark the hard questions easier because its the questions everyone thought were fine I didn't get out! Just made loads of silly mistakes really. =/

Q6 for some reason I got the extention wrong in both part (ii) and (iii). just wasn't thinking. In part (ii) I got all the other numbers right so I'll prolly get most of the marks? And in part (iii) I had the logic right and gave a little explanation at the start but said wrong number: Because acceleration is proportional to displacement from the fixed point, when the acceleration is 0 the displacement from the point is 0. Hence, the length of the spring when accelleration is 0 is 200mm or .2m. >.< :mad: :mad: :mad:
    So hopfully I'll only get docked a few marks in Q6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 scorzny

what did u guys get for the junction voltage of the diode from experiment 4??:eek:

scorzny wrote:
    what did u guys get for the junction voltage of the diode from experiment 4??:eek:

0.6v what you get?

Scorzny, isn't that where it hits the x-axis? I can't quite remember off hand.

I got .57v thinking back, because that's where it hits the axis for mine.

Feddd wrote:
    I was going for an A1 but don't think I got it and it doesn't matter that people say they will mark the hard questions easier because its the questions everyone thought were fine I didn't get out! Just made loads of silly mistakes really. =/

Q6 for some reason I got the extention wrong in both part (ii) and (iii). just wasn't thinking. In part (ii) I got all the other numbers right so I'll prolly get most of the marks? And in part (iii) I had the logic right and gave a little explanation at the start but said wrong number: Because acceleration is proportional to displacement from the fixed point, when the acceleration is 0 the displacement from the point is 0. Hence, the length of the spring when accelleration is 0 is 200mm or .2m. >.< :mad: :mad: :mad:
    So hopfully I'll only get docked a few marks in Q6.

no because the weights still on it so its 285mm

cool,i showed a range between say .6 and .75,i put down .7 as my answer,they'll probably allow for that!?

carlowboy wrote:

yeah its like that on mine but i just said 0.6 because thats what it is for silicon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

scorzny wrote:

Junction voltage. Does that basically mean when the current starts getting far bigger per volt? It says estimate from your graph so I think anywhere between .6 and .7 is ok?

carlowboy wrote:

Its where it hits the curve where the curve begins to get steep all of a sudden i think!~

• Advertisement

scorzny wrote:
    cool,i showed a range between say .6 and .75,i put down .7 as my answer,they'll probably allow for that!?

can it b ova 0.6

yeah where it starts gettin steep

Advertisement