Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

scorzny wrote:
    Its where it hits the curve where the curve begins to get steep all of a sudden i think!~

Thats what I would have said if I had done the question, but I didn't do much revision on semiconductors tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 scorzny

This boards thing is really handy!!!

Feddd wrote:
    Junction voltage. Does that basically mean when the current starts getting far bigger per volt? It says estimate from your graph so I think anywhere between .6 and .7 is ok?

I hope ur right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

microbiek wrote:
    no because the weights still on it so its 285mm

Yeh, I know that thats the answer. Said at the start of that para that I got the logic right but wrote down the wrong number and was wondering if anyone has any idea wether or not I would get 0 for it.
    It says "calculate" and i got the steps up to it right so I prolly will.

why was the centre of gravity of the metre stick not at ''the 50cm mark'' in experiment 1??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭microbiek

Feddd wrote:
    Yeh, I know that thats the answer. Said at the start of that para that I got the logic right but wrote down the wrong number and was wondering if anyone has any idea wether or not I would get 0 for it.
    It says "calculate" and i got the steps up to it right so I prolly will.

yeah you should have gotten 0 which means you have no displacement ie "s" so its just at 285 so u even got the maths right too theyl know you just wrote the wrong thing

scorzny wrote:
    why was the centre of gravity of the metre stick not at ''the 50cm mark'' in experiment 1??

yeah i dunno i z because of innaccuracies when the meter stick was made haha wat u say

scorzny wrote:

I said because the mass isn't perfectly uniform throughout.

nice 1, as good a chance as any,i cant remember to b honest man. I'm only awake on caffine,did an all nighter!! most of the exam is a blur

alryt ha eh y does all the charge reside on the outside of the van da graph generator??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Should have looked over the experiment then, damn and I got the rest of it out!

microbiek wrote:
    alryt ha eh y does all the charge reside on the outside of the van da graph generator??

Besides the fact that that sentence is so so so fundamentally wrong ...

Larger surface area on the outside than on the inside, so greater space for the charge to diffuse(?) about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

That paper was grand. A few things to disarm the rote learners but at the end of the day there was nothing nasty at all.

That paper was grand. A few things to disarm the rote learners but at the end of the day there was nothing nasty at all.

Well the doppler question was very rote-learner type.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Besides the fact that that sentence is so so so fundamentally wrong ...

Larger surface area on the outside than on the inside, so greater space for the charge to diffuse(?) about.

ah yee always pay so much attention to the grammer....i hope when ppl txt you u dont txt back saying "that sentence is so so so fundamentally wrong"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

microbiek wrote:
    ah yee always pay so much attention to the grammer....i hope when ppl txt you u dont txt back saying "that sentence is so so so fundamentally wrong"

I do. Including when people finish sentences with prepositions. I mean, it just doesn't make sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 btothei

scorzny wrote:

coz when they make rulers the leave a lil bit at the end then they start the measurements....its coz this end always gets wore down and cracked etc....dats wat i put down anyway....if dats rite i cant believ dat was asked in a physics state exam

and i cant believe i knew it...i need t get out more! lol

how the hell do ye draw the graf for concave mirror...i put 1/u an x-axis and 1/v on y-axis....didnt look too prety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

microbiek wrote:
    With the advent of predictive text and the fact that texts can usually be reduced in size significantly by removing things such as apostrophes and spaces after full stops if one happens to wrte a text over 160 characters and wants to save money, it is both slower and unnecessary to have to resort to txt spk when texting.

microbiek wrote:

No, since I wouldn't be friends with anyone who sent me such a text. :)

JC 2K3 wrote:
    With the advent of predictive text and the fact that texts can usually be reduced in size significantly by removing things such as apostrophes and spaces after full stops if one happens to wrte a text over 160 characters and wants to save money, it is both slower and unnecessary to have to resort to txt spk when texting.

are you serious it all adds up!! so of course its necassary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 lennykravitz

Failed miserably! I'm so depressed right now. There's no way I got 40% of that paper correct. Nothing I studied came up. It was so obscure. I think I might try and score some heroin.

rite there with ya stepperupper

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ok, couldnt be bothered reading over 12 pages of stuff bout physics, so here goes my assessment of my Ordinary Level Paper:

Experiments: 2 of them I studied hard yesterday cos they've never come up, another one I reminded myself of just incase as its been a few years. Did experiments 1,2,4. Joules Law was a sweet one, definately full marks. Hopefully over the 100 mark barrier for Section A.

Q5: Ridiculously easy...apart from I couldnt remeber the exact definition for Newtons Second Law. Probably 52/56.

Q6: Ok, apart from that energy gained question, it went ok. I did an extra question, so they'll leave out my worst score, which will probably be this question. Probably 40/56

Q8: This was actually the extra question I did. didnt like the look of the diagram, so I left it, then at the end, I looked at it again and did it. Very, very easy, maybe apart from that detecting the radiation bit kinda. Probably50/56

Q10: I congratulate you SEC! You **** up the diagram of a bloody x-ray machine AGAIN. I mentioned it in one of my answers about how the diagram was wrong:p. Still though, should have gotten nearly full marks again here. Probably 52/56

Q11: My favourite! The little article...never looked at it. Still just so damn easy. Full marks here. 56/56

Q12: Did part (c) and (d). Relatively easy. Just one very stupid little mistake. I'd say it'll be in the high 40's, if not 50's for this. 48/56 at worst.

Overall: This exam will hopefully be an A1, but it'll be so damn close. Very borderline. The 60 marks would be sweet, especially to back up my accounting disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Rectifier_vi_curve.GIF
    Back of the net!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 lennykravitz

Mushy wrote:
    Ok, couldnt be bothered reading over 12 pages of stuff bout physics, so here goes my assessment of my Ordinary Level Paper:

Experiments: 2 of them I studied hard yesterday cos they've never come up, another one I reminded myself of just incase as its been a few years. Did experiments 1,2,4. Joules Law was a sweet one, definately full marks. Hopefully over the 100 mark barrier for Section A.

Q5: Ridiculously easy...apart from I couldnt remeber the exact definition for Newtons Second Law. Probably 52/56.

Q6: Ok, apart from that energy gained question, it went ok. I did an extra question, so they'll leave out my worst score, which will probably be this question. Probably 40/56

Q8: This was actually the extra question I did. didnt like the look of the diagram, so I left it, then at the end, I looked at it again and did it. Very, very easy, maybe apart from that detecting the radiation bit kinda. Probably50/56

Q10: I congratulate you SEC! You **** up the diagram of a bloody x-ray machine AGAIN. I mentioned it in one of my answers about how the diagram was wrong:p. Still though, should have gotten nearly full marks again here. Probably 52/56

Q11: My favourite! The little article...never looked at it. Still just so damn easy. Full marks here. 56/56

Q12: Did part (c) and (d). Relatively easy. Just one very stupid little mistake. I'd say it'll be in the high 40's, if not 50's for this. 48/56 at worst.

Overall: This exam will hopefully be an A1, but it'll be so damn close. Very borderline. The 60 marks would be sweet, especially to back up my accounting disaster.

i dont mean to be rude, but seriously!GET OVER IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

For my sketch of the voltage in reverse bias, it was a really vague X and Y axis with just the small bit in the reverse bias section filled in, that's all right, yeah?

Also, did anyone else have a hard time determining the junction voltage of the forward biased diode? I had .75 V down, then I crossed it out and wrote .7, I reckon there'll be a faily large acceptable range for this, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

i dont mean to be rude, but seriously!GET OVER IT

Thread is titled 'physics aftermath' in case you haven't noticed. Therefore all peoples opinions relating to the exam are viable and worthwhile posts.

Now I don't mean to be rude, but if you don't want to read them, fúck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A friend of mine text me and thought it was horrible...and he is usually great at physics :( Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

JC 2K3 wrote:
    For my sketch of the voltage in reverse bias, it was a really vague X and Y axis with just the small bit in the reverse bias section filled in, that's all right, yeah?

Also, did anyone else have a hard time determining the junction voltage of the forward biased diode? I had .75 V down, then I crossed it out and wrote .7, I reckon there'll be a faily large acceptable range for this, yeah?

I had a .75V as mine... It was a stupid stupid graph to be fair.. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

For the graph of the reverse bias diode, you'd probably want to scale the Y axis in micro-amps as opposed to milliamps and use a galvanometer in the circuit instead of a milliammeter.

The junction voltage was 0.6V I think, I did quite a large graph for it and it was pretty much identical to a standard Si p-n graph, so that would add up nicely.

• Advertisement

galvonometer? I did a symbol for a micro ammeter ( like mewA)

Advertisement