Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry to start this Gb into MB converson thing up again

Options
  • 18-06-2007 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

At the moment i've downloades 1140.43MB.
    Am i safe i thinking that i have a total download of 10240MB (10Gb)
    So i should have about 9100MB left on my 3data account for the rest of the month?

Already im hearing some storys of massave bills and really don't want to be stung as this is my only option and is not to bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

1024 MegaByte = 1 GigaByte

You are correct...

So far, you have downloaded just over 1GB, so you now have just over 9GB left to download.

As a matter of interest, how does the modem perform? Whats the average bandwidth speed? If it's only 20quid per month, you cant go wrong if there is now BB in your area!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

While you will have downloaded 1.1gb you will also have uploaded 0.1-0.3gb and your allowance may be the sum of the two.

Do not plan on exceeding 7gb downloads in this billing period and see what the stats say at the end of the period ...again in case of nasty shock

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Well as of today i've cancelled my 1 way satellite and also my line rental and internet access which will save me 200e a month. I for the first time ever got to play an online game via my brothers ps3 and just about managed to play COD 2 on line via my pc. Its as good as any other broadband, FWA or copper when it comes to browsing but i have yet to get a 50MB file in less than an hour, that said if you were prepaired to stay up late on a sunday night that would go down to about 10mins or less. I only have a one bar signal that keeps going in and out but im still happy with what i have and for 20e a month you can't really go wrong.

My only fear is that the hundreads of thousands of people like me that can't get "regular" BB will now stop shouting and screaming and will never get anything from the main telcos....ever, but for the product as a whole i would have no problem giving it a cautious 8/10. Time will tell if 3 can keep it up and roll out better packages and keep the service going.

Only bad thing i would say is that the realy could have explained on ther site better about Gb/GB etc etc as theres gona be a lot of very unhappy people over the next 4 to 5 weeks when they look at there bank accounts. They really seem to be working on the notion that everybody talks and thinks in binary...or perhaps theres something a little more sinister at hand here?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    While you will have downloaded 1.1gb you will also have uploaded 0.1-0.3gb and your allowance may be the sum of the two.

Do not plan on exceeding 7gb downloads in this billing period and see what the stats say at the end of the period ...again in case of nasty shock
    Very good advice.. its something i've always preached, no matter what you think and read it pays to be cautious for the first month with any package

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or it could be your total Download is 1000x1000x1000 = a real 1G

As Sponge Bob says many ISPs add your up + down to calculate cap.

Really only memory should be measured in 1024s, Disks are usually measured in 1000s.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I only have a one bar signal that keeps going in and out but im still happy with what i have and for 20e a month you can't really go wrong.

until they get more customers and the 1 bar signal disappears one day. 3g cells "breathe" and shrink as they get busier.

start researching external antenna options for your huawei model
    They really seem to be working on the notion that everybody talks and thinks in binary...or perhaps theres something a little more sinister at hand here?

They are an awful pack of clowns who do everything on the cheap. They pnly employ about 5-10 people on the island of Ireland, thats all.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    until they get more customers and the 1 bar signal disappears one day. 3g cells "breathe" and shrink as they get busier.
    start researching external antenna options for your huawei model
    QUOTE]

I've looked into this and apparently the E220 does not come with an external antenna socket and that the antenna is integrated into the USB cable.

I'm using a 3mtr usb cable at the moment but may very well order this http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_active_cables.html

Advertisement