Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak Eggar moths out in force

• 18-06-2007 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭

Was up in the Wicklow Mountains (mainly the Camaderry area) at the weekend and saw literally dozens of Oak Eggar moths .. some hanging a little forlornly off of the heather (it was very misty and drizzly up top) and lower down where it was a bit drier, flying around. I'd noticed a lot of the caterpillars around earlier, so no real surprise really.

What did surprise me though is that I only spotted one male (darker colour and different antennae than the females) and all the others were female. On the entry on UKmoths.org, (http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=3077) they say the males are to be found flying during the day, whereas the females are nocturnal, which is pretty much the opposite of what I experienced.

Might there be another explanation for the disparity between the two sexes?

Advertisement