Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam to Antwerp

Options
  • 18-06-2007 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm thinking of flying to Amsterdam, getting a bike and cycling down to Antwerp in Belgium. I've never attempted such a long cycle before. In fact, I have pretty much no experience in long distance cycling.

What kind of bike would be best?

What kind of gear should I bring?

Would it be good to bring a one man tent? Or should I really try going from hostel to hostel etc?

Also, any good sites that you can use to plan a trip like this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

About 170-180km over mostly flat ground and I imagine there is a dedicated cycle route for much of the distance.

When do you want to do it, now in summer or later?

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/dyn/controller/ItiWGPerformPage?reinit=1&strStartCityCountry=EUR&strStartAddress=&strStartMerged=Amsterdam&strDestCityCountry=EUR&strDestAddress=&strDestMerged=antwerp&image2.x=24&image2.y=10#

You might look at the ECF website for local organisations. http://www.ecf.com/

This site also looks useful http://www.northsea-cycle.com/default.asp?id=5&mnu=5&lang=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks for the links.

Yeah I actually didn't realise it was less than 200km which is great :) Would be a good introductory cycle, and if I am enjoying myself I can carry on further down into France or something.

I plan on going this Summer at some stage. I will be taking my time...I want to enjoy as much of it as I can, and not stick to main busy roads with cars blowing smoke in my face for the whole thing.

The only thing I HAVE to bring is a laptop...and then all the other essentials like clothes and gear.

I have an old racer, the gears are a bit hard to change at times, but other than that it's fine. I'm not sure whether to bring it with me or get another one over there somehow.

For a cycle like this, is it better to rig your bike up with bags, or should I just carry everything on my back?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cianos wrote:
    For a cycle like this, is it better to rig your bike up with bags, or should I just carry everything on my back?
    I've not done a trip like this, but I imagine your back would be wrecked even with a modest amount of gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

I fell in love with this part of the world five years ago and have been going back at least once a year since. From a cycling point of view it is just a dream. You will, as has been said, be able to do almost the the entire route along dedicated cycle paths. many of these will be along canals with interestings restaurants along the way. If you have more time I would strongly recommend the city of Bruges which is one of my favourite places of all - in fact it was going on holidays here that got me really interested in cycling. It is an education to see how cyclists are respected here - even in the busier city centre, bikes have priority at most junctions. The sight of the number of bikes outside all the train stations in this part of Europe is in itself worth seeing.
    One concern I would have for you however is taking a laptop on a bike - something tells me you could live to regret that - weight/balance/security/rain etc. don't mean to be negative but would serioulsy re-think that one. I presume you have considered the alternatives (PDA, Internet cafes etc?).
    I presume you will be renting a bike - again very different from Ireland - plenty of shops to choose from. Many rent out cit bikes extremely cheaply but will have better Hybrids and will supply panniers etc if asked in advance. Expect to be able to rent a very decent bike for as little as €40/50 per week!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cianos wrote:
    The only thing I HAVE to bring is a laptop...and then all the other essentials like clothes and gear.
    Any particular reason you need a laptop? Can be a bit of a difficult (delicate) thing to bring on a cycling trip, although I do bring a PDA around myself.
    Cianos wrote:
    Definately get a rack and panniers, don't even consider doing this with the bag on your back. If you must bring the laptop put it in a cushioned sleeve in a pannier with clothes around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

blorg wrote:
    Any particular reason you need a laptop? Can be a bit of a difficult (delicate) thing to bring on a cycling trip, although I do bring a PDA around myself.

I'm a professional online poker player, the laptop is quite important to continue playing in the way I'm used to. It means I can go wherever I want, take however long I want to get there, and never be out of work;)
    blorg wrote:
    Definately get a rack and panniers, don't even consider doing this with the bag on your back. If you must bring the laptop put it in a cushioned sleeve in a pannier with clothes around it.

Noted, thanks. Dyou think I should bring my current bike over with me, or get a bike over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If there are good rental options (and I imagine there are) and you are not a particularly serious cyclist wedded to your current bike and planning on doing crazy distances, then I would rent. Bringing the bike on a plane (and to and from the airports) can be a bit of a hassle, (or can be very simple, depending on your luck) and will cost in the region of €50-60 round-trip.

You might note that Amsterdam is singled out on the Aer Lingus website as needing special treatment:
    *Bicycles: A maximum of six pre-booked bicycles may be carried on each aircraft. Bicycles departing Amsterdam airport must be boxed or bagged. These can be purchased at the airport.

One advantage of course of bringing your own bike is that you can fly in to one place and out of another, although I imagine the trains in that neck of the woods might be bike-friendly to take you back to your point of origin. Make sure you check that though.

Advertisement