Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown Lodgement in my account TRS?

Options
  • 18-06-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

OK to make a long story short, i lost the run of our finances recently with 2 holidays and forgot about a large credit card bill (from holiday in US) that gets taken in full by direct debit. Being the beginning of the month and account in the red, nothing had been taken out like loans, mortgage etc.
    Anyway i sorted it out with an agreed overdraft and cancelling credit union payment until we are back in the clear. This is just background info.

Anyway to my surprise i was seeing if the mortgage was taken out yet (its has not) and i noticed a lodgement of €230 with reference of TRS and then some numbers.
    I have/had no idea what it is but a google of TRS comes up with Tax relief at source.
    Now i remember a month or more back i asked on boards about mortgage interest relief and was told its NO LONGER paid into your bank account. However i went ahead and filled in my details on a revenue site and heard nothing about it.
    Anyone got any idea if this is mortgage interest relief being paid into my account now, and if so should i have been getting similar payments since i got my mortgage 2 years ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

First thing to do - ask your bank.

I'd be careful about making an assumption. After all, the narrative (what you see on your statement describing the transaction) can be dictated by the person lodging the money. TRS and a lot of numbers could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

TRS for mortgage does indeed get paid into the a/c and usually the day before the mortgage payment goes but again as Buffy Bot has indicated, it may be something else. Your bank is only people to tell you and please report back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

Mine gets paid the day after my loan deduction is made. . with a similar narrative that you mention.

Why not give the Revenue TRS section a quick call (the numbr is in the TRS part of their site). . .if for some reason this has been paid to you in error youll want to know sooner rather than later (the tax man will only come back and get it later). . .Revenue should be able to tell you on the spot whereas it will take the bank a few days to find out who paid it in.

They (as opposed to your bank) will be able to tell you if your eligible for the last 2 years aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Saruman wrote:
    with reference of TRS and then some numbers.

Is it a 14 digit number? As in a bank sorting code/account number. And does it match your mortgage account number?

Advertisement